Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Whats so special about this detector for $2000.00

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Whats so special about this detector for $2000.00
August 25, 2013 11:03PM
Am I missing something..

[www.kellycodetectors.com]

Keith
Re: Whats so special about this detector for $2000.00
August 25, 2013 11:09PM
Wonder what the real uS pulse-delay truly is.
August 25, 2013 11:15PM
Yeah, that's a mighty good question, Keith winking smiley

I know J.W. Fisher's unit are quite pricey, but, they're professional use diving machines. I never even heard of Aqua Pulse before. Could be a private label thing with Kellyco. They sell soooooo many units there, but, the margins on them are small. They might be private labeling machines under different brands to capture bigger profits. Heck, look what they did with that Duck Dynasty detector. That thing's a piece of $hit. Some small manufacturer I never even heard of. However, take the crappiest of goods and give it a fancy name, get a celebrity's photo on it, or some other marketing gimmick, and the gullible will eat it up. As P.T. Barnum said; "There's a sucker born every minute".

Joe

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2013 11:18PM by njnydigger.
August 25, 2013 11:21PM
Maybe they're selling by the pound! 42 big ones--better be underwater without a mud bottom!!!!!

[www.kellycodetectors.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2013 11:25PM by shoveler.
August 25, 2013 11:32PM
shoveler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe they're selling by the pound! 42 big
> ones--better be underwater without a mud
> bottom!!!!!
>
> [www.kellycodetectors.com]

Hahaha, good one, Shoveler! Lol

Joe
August 25, 2013 11:43PM
It says high power technology but a 2500mah battery is not much power. A TDI or GPX will not run long on 2500mah.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
August 25, 2013 11:56PM
I think Keith is about ready to try something new out, would be cool if some of the detectors on gary's uk sight could sell in the US...lets find a way to tell foil from the good stuff..and to get a better ID on trash and by good I mean to help us understand that it is a trash ID

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 26, 2013 12:24AM
I always like to have the facts, so, did some further research on the Aqua Pulse. Seems the manufacturer (Aquascan), has been around awhile, and makes quality products for the diving/exploration crowd. Here's a blurb I copied from their website...btw, notice the bit about the detector being able to detect objects UP TO 10 FEET AWAY! Say what?!?!

Joe

The Aquapulse AQ1B!

The AQUAPULSE 1B underwater metal detector has featured in every conceivable underwater application around the world in the past decade with an exceptional degree of success.
The AQUAPULSE 1B (38cm) is an underwater metal detector employing a large diameter search head mounted on the end of a telescopic arm. The 1B can detect objects up to a range of 3m (10ft). This makes it the most powerful unit on the market. Apart from the sensitivity threshold control, the 1B underwater metal detector has an additional control to enable the whole range of AQUAPULSE coils and accessories to be used with it. The same control can be used to reject surface clutter such as ring pulls, cigarette foil etc., often found buried in the sand or mud. The internal NiMH battery pack allows in the order of 10 hours operation.

For a complete list of the available kits and accessories, please go to our download page.

Used with our new Jet Probe burrowing accessory, the Aquapulse can be used to pinpoint buried objects in up to 3m of sand or sediment, thus minimising the amount of dredging required. The objects depth of burial can also be determined

Police/Armed Forces

Provides a positive search and location tool for recovery of all types of metallic weapons & arms etc. Effective in a wide range of situations, particularly low visibility or where items have become camouflaged or buried.

Salvage

Recovery of a wide range of items including lost anchors, chains, tools outboards etc., plus the recovery of cargo and valuables from scattered and buried wrecks.

Survey

Wide range of commercial underwater survey tasks including location and tracking of cables, pipelines and general metallic debris.

Archaeology

Meets the need for a general purpose marine survey tool, specifically for locating and mapping sites of archaeological interest in terms of the distribution of metallic objects.

• GOOD PINPOINTING ABILITY
• 100M DEPTH CAPABILITY
• RECHARGABLE BATTERIES
• 8-10 HOURS OPERATION
• NO LOSS OF RANGE AT SEA
• QUICK RELEASE HARNESS
• RUGGED CONNECTORS

The system is designed to be mounted in 3 ways - belt mounted (pictured above), clipped to a karabiner or mounted to the optional armsaver. A velco system is utilised to assist with attaching each mounting method, and also holds the unit secure when in operation. Recent improvements to the design make it much more robust than previous models.
August 26, 2013 12:27AM
Idid some research on it...made in the U.K. Seems to be built to tight standards...but it's not a Grounnd bal machine and its not a very high powered detector in the modern sense...coils maybe interchangeable?

The website seems to cater to the industrial and commercial types even archaeologist...So hence the price...

it can go quite deep in the water maybe deeper than any other but how deep can one scube dive safely? I dont now....most machines say 200 ft theres say like 330 or so...

but dotn think its breakout mahcine seems to have been being built for 10 years this is jsut the newest model...

I bet the Pulse delay Tom is at 15 or so mimimum...????

Not really looking for Nothing Lawrenzo..I have a gift certificate I need to use before the end of the year.....

Nothing is really impressing me right now...Might of hit a plateau for awhile....CTX is the most impressive kid on the block right now in terms of multi tasking...

Keith
August 26, 2013 01:04AM
I'd say it's quality of components/build are it's strong points (hence why it can dive to 330 ft) but beyond that - I don't see anything special about it.

Heck - a cz20/21 will dive to 250 ft but who the hell dives that deep to begin with? You need nitro/oxygen mixture and the conditions are extremely dangerous at that point PLUS you can't stay down for any length of time so it's not like many would be using it to it's fullest capabilities as for depth anyway.

I bet they don't sell many of those at K-co (at least not to the "hobbyist" types).
August 26, 2013 02:13AM
Yeah, but it has the word Aqua in it.... That alone is worth $500 bucks, right?
August 26, 2013 02:28AM
triplehooked Wrote:
> Yeah, but it has the word Aqua in it.... That
> alone is worth $500 bucks, right?

LOL
August 26, 2013 04:54PM
Hi Keith,

I believe Eric Foster had something to due with this in the beginning, These are rated for depth and because of this sensitivity to smaller targets is not the greatest. The deeper these are rated the less sensitivity they have due to the salt factor, One can not operate a sensitive Pi are great depths, These are designed for depth.

Once owned I believe was the AQUAPULSE 1B or an older model similar to this one, Had to replace the coil and spoke with the owners of the company out of Fla and that was 10-12 years ago. That's what they told me about the deeper diving Pi's because I asked them why my Pi wasn't getting the smaller finds, Made sense these are designed for depth and the deeper they go the more prone to falsing the sensitivity Pi's will be.

They are after gold bars, wreckage and such, big ticket items.

Paul (Ca)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 05:00PM by Old California.
August 28, 2013 12:37AM
Someone on another forum mentioned last year that the Aquapulse AQ1B had a minimum pulse delay of approximately 30µs. Just say'n.
September 01, 2013 02:53PM
2 detector makers in the UK have recently been sent to jail for making scamming bogus BS detectors alleged to detect explosives and all manner of wild claims about their abilities.
they had nothing inside them ,empty .
they had built up companies with multi million pound turnovers selling scamming machines with nothing inside the box

not that i am saying that it applies to this brand.
i would want to see some good test reports before laying out a big wad

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2013 02:56PM by diggers.
December 30, 2013 07:37AM
southernexplorer Wrote:
> It says high power technology but a 2500mah
> battery is not much power. A TDI or GPX will not
> run long on 2500mah.

The Aquapulse AQ1B (Compact) has a minimum pulse delay of about 25 µs.
You cannot measure a unit's "power" by the size of the battery. The AQ1B operates at about 170pps (pulses per second) so there is less demand on battery reserve than a PI running at a higher pps rate (frequency)
Battery life is about 10 hours.
At minimum pulse delay, there is reduced sensitivity on the smaller, low karat rings. Much of my searching is between depths of 4 to 7 feet so a quicker delay isn't useable at these depths anyway. 20µs + is ideal. Interestingly, the AQ1B sees some of my bigger gold rings (10 gram plus) deeper than my other detectors.

Yes, it is an expensive detector but the build quality is astonishing and it has performance to match. Average wedding rings are seen at very good depths, especially the higher K rings. Silver can be found even deeper due to the higher conductivity. Larger items are seen at great depth so it is quite a flexible detector. It does require some manual tuning/tweaking of the "set audio" control in order to keep the tick over speed (threshold) at the right level. The range of accessories is exceptional and all change out in seconds with the proven Ikelite connectors.

HH,
Tony_
December 30, 2013 02:31PM
Metal detecting has two addictions in many cases...first the hobby and then to try any new unit that comes the pike. Manufacturers are aware of this and use it to sell.
Perhaps its a good unit but worth the bucks dunno...I do know a fool and his money are soon parted ought to cover it...heck even the duck people are selling detectors...
December 30, 2013 04:31PM
not meant for beach or shallow water, they are popular with shipwreck salvage operations. from what I here they are high quality machines !

chuck.
December 30, 2013 07:13PM
It looks to me like K-Co did a lousy job promoting the unit. I could find no depth max listed but 2 different ones have been cited in posts here. No real helpful details given on use or effectiveness, ie detects items up to 10 feet (Buick or Queen Mary?). Given the cost of Minelab's land PIs the price is not unreasonable, but it is still more than twice a DetectorPro PI and $500 over an Excal or a CZ21 (while not PIs still proven underwater units with greater depth ratings). Why no reviews? They really help to make sales. At least get some named 'expert' to review one and cherry pick quotes.
Just a 2 cent thought...

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 30, 2013 11:19PM
No offense to PasTom, but i wouldnt put any faith in Kellyco depth ratings...or their reviews.
December 31, 2013 11:09AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
> Metal detecting has two addictions in many
> cases...first the hobby and then to try any new
> unit that comes the pike. Manufacturers are aware
> of this and use it to sell.
> Perhaps its a good unit but worth the bucks
> dunno...I do know a fool and his money are soon
> parted ought to cover it...heck even the duck
> people are selling detectors...

Well if a fool and his money are soon parted then that is why I chose this model to find a deeply buried gold Rolex watch that my other machines had no chance in finding. Nice reward almost paid off my unit too.
As for the depth ratings well this comes from Aquascan themselves and not Kellyco.
This detector is aimed at the wreck hunters and divers but to say it is no good for shallow water is ignorant. To say it is no good for the smaller, low karat rings is partly true if those rings are on the dry sand and wet sand only. If you are running too quick a delay in the salt water and your machine is moaning and groaning for seeing the salt as a target then the targets you don't hear is astonishing.
Aquapulse USA chose Kellyco to further promote the unit but I'm not sure why.

Anyhow I only added to this thread to provide some further background information regarding the unit.

Happy new year,
Tony.
December 31, 2013 12:00PM
Thanks for your input Tony, and welcome to the forum.....stick around.
December 31, 2013 02:09PM
Thanks Tony. And my comment was not a jab at the detector,but Kellyco.