Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

((Listen)) Do You Want To Know A Secret ????

Posted by jimmyjiver 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
((Listen)) Do You Want To Know A Secret ????
October 23, 2013 08:23AM
Hi,,,,Okay,every once in awhile this thought & question comes to mind while I'm detecting....Now here's the hypothetical question I think about....If it was possible, would you like to know how many gold rings or real good targets in the ground you have passed over since you started detecting???? Now here's the bad part,,,,your newly found secret information would not tell you the place or area that this has occurred or even when it occurred....Over the years I have detected such a vast array of different locations & conditions....In a way I would like to know cause maybe I could possibly change my hunting techniques or machines and do much better....I definitely should become more proficient and improve my detecting skills with this new info....But on the other hand,I think it would drive me nuts,loony,crazy or maybe even totally insane if my secret information said, I passed over 142 gold rings,three gold coins,four silver dollars,186 Indian head pennies etc.not to mention Jimmy Hoffa.... LoL....Oh where,oh where did I pass over these hidden gems???? Actually in all honesty,the jury is still out on this one for me....JJ
Re: ((Listen)) Do You Want To Know A Secret ????
October 23, 2013 11:13AM
I've had similar thoughts. I'm on my third and rocky marriage and often wonder how many times I've passed by the "right" woman for me, the real gold treasure. Detecting is my escape from these thoughts. As a beach hunter finding the gold in the sand really helps. I had a short but good year.
October 23, 2013 11:23AM
Mostly anyone who has been detecting for a while, know they've been over top of good stuff, just don't know the amount/number. Probably walked over or near a cache or two in your years of detecting.
October 23, 2013 01:38PM
Always remember a passerby telling me while hunting a large beach your coil is so small and the beach is so large so indeed we all have missed a goodie or three but look at the fun we have had trying.....Being a CZ nut for 20 odd years I know how easily it can be masked and just am happy for the ones I have found..
October 23, 2013 02:47PM
No---oh, no---I would NEVER want to know that---cuz I would NEVER get done bawlin if'n I did!!------Seriously Jimmy--I have often thought about what you just posted & I know over the years I have past over PLENTY of gold rings & gold jewelry.-----I am always & forever looking for another "edge" in detecting skills (and equip.) & just take it from there while trying to not look back (notice I said "trying") ha ha.-----I'm not worried about it, I just want to spend what time I have left in this great hobby enjoying myself detecting.-----Besides that, look at all the p.t.'s I didn't have to dig!!! ahh----------Del
October 23, 2013 03:27PM
If we could get a detector to give us more info on those readings maybe a sixty % chance I would dig more trash targets. If I was younger I would dig it all at parks but now I would last about an hour and have to cherry pick. A lot of hunters on one of my posts said if they made a detector that could tell you if you found gold then all the rings and bling would be gone. I think maybe over years that would happen just like silver. So I think about a new unit that sees targets in a different way then they do now and I know that may never happen.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
qwk
October 23, 2013 03:58PM
I don't think that you want to know the answer to this question(especially if you cherry pick). About 4 years ago, I found a ~6 acre park that has been detected to death by many. The first time i went to detect there, there was already one guy digging stuff with an old garrett Gti 2500 that lived right across the parking lot. We chatted for a bit, and he told me that he personally has spent hundreds of hours there, and found some decent finds. I spent about 50 hours there, and found numerous gold items(about 2oz worth), quite a bit of small silver jewelry, and about half a dozen silver dimes with my f-75.

The above is probably more of the exception rather than the rule, because location is about the most important choice a detectorist can make, but just think of all of those people who combed the place over the years(very few finds were recent), and passed over all of that stuff. Then think about all of the stuff that I still missed.
October 24, 2013 01:40AM
That's something we have ALL asked ourselves but really don't want to know. By the way, I remember that song from long ago. ..still runs through my internal jukebox on occasion...listen, wah, wah wah!
October 25, 2013 11:14AM
I hunt the same places a lot, it funny when you go there the 200 time and you dig a gold ring that you went over many times, because the signal was good enought to dig, but this time you were out just having fun and digging anything that made noise in your machine, what we need to do is dig the iron and clean it up so we can find the gold rings smiling smiley