Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F75 LTD 2F Tones

Posted by Cal_cobra 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F75 LTD 2F Tones
December 23, 2009 02:51AM
I was invited to hit a demo last weekend. Unfortunately it had been pretty well cleaned out, but I still managed a few keepers including a nice 1871 injun (semi-key date), 1906 injun, 1920 buffalo nickel, three wheats (including a 1911-S another semi-key date and my second 1911-s of the year), a trolley token, a few buttons, and some clad. I had worked over a spot pretty well in 3H mode earlier in the day, and then much later in the day went back over it in 2F mode, and found two nickels I'd missed before (modern nickels unfortunately). I don't know if it's because I was desperate for a good target and was digging everything aside from iron, OR if the 2F actually helped me make better dig no dig decisions.

This was a fairly trashy place, I came home with a pocket full of pulltabs and sliced and diced wino caps. I was using my F75 LTD with the 11" DD, in boost mode and most of the time I had my sensitivity set to 65.

For you guys that hunt demo sites, what's your preferred setup on the F75 (LTD) ?

Thanks, Happy Holidays and Happy Hunting,
Brian
Re: F75 LTD 2F Tones
December 23, 2009 04:06PM
I like mono tone and if I can get 2f to work then I will try that after mono tone. I like to use a disc of 0-5 if I can deal with the noise or 0 disc and 4 tone..

Sens is from 65-95 most of the time in calif 70-75 I found the boost mode for trash may not always work and it is better to be able to hunt an area with what ever it takes then to give up..I have used a disc once of 17 and it was the only way to hunt that area.

wet ground or damp seems to effect my LTD and F75 and emi will just ruin my hunt. I think with EMI you are missing a lot of targets it seems to mask...

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
December 23, 2009 07:54PM
I guess if I was going to use monotone I'd just use all metal mode eh? More stable then disc mode is , and potentially deeper if you need the depth (didn't need depth at this demo site).

That's odd that your LTD is having issues in damp/wet ground, mine seems to work fine, I've even hunted in the rain with it (found a nice 14k gold cross). Maybe it's the site you tested it at and it's loaded with small iron which would be worse in wet ground??

hh,
Brian
I use 2F almost exclusively...
December 23, 2009 08:18PM
I realize that monotone will probably produce more targets, but I get along pretty well with 2F. its a bit easier on my ears and I dont have to watch the screen at all. I also usually run the sens at max (sometimes at 95 but not often), and the disc at 0. On occasion I will raise the disc to 5, but thats usually the max. I WILL on occasion use monotone, but only after a site gets really thin.
I have found that the type of phones I use makes a difference too, but possibly because I'm a bit hard of hearing. Some phones just sound too deep,(my shadow phone do this) and I have a hard time hearing the high tones. The ones that seem to work best for me are the standard killer B's. for some reason they seem to help compensate for my high range hearing loss.
I know that tone options are largely a matter of taste, but I prefer 2F most all of the time. Streak!
Jeb
December 23, 2009 09:08PM
I`d say my ways are as Streaks i swap from All metal ,with Sens as high as i deem fit.Audio tone i have on at 9. I also try to have the frequency channel on 7.

Then i might change on to " 0 " discrim ,and 2f or 4h tones, again Sens as high as i deem fit for the surroundings, I fast grab about every 20 or 30 minutes to try to keep to the soil around me`s mineralisation changes, or if i do not do that i keep my eye on the FE meter which indicates the same and I`d alter my sens to suit .
I use NDT Nugget Buster phones, and find them superb.and i try to always have my frequency channel on 7.
(this is on the F75 )not the LTD.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2009 09:12PM by Jeb.
December 23, 2009 10:42PM
There is a difference between the all-metal mode...... vs....... the ID mode in monotone. In the ID mode......even though you are in monotone..... you can set Disc on '6'...... or what ever it takes to JUST BARELY get rid of small nails. You can not do this in the all-metal mode. Multitone and Disc '0' is quite chattery..... but is reality.....and gives greater depth.
December 23, 2009 11:04PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I typically use 3H tones when turf hunting, as 4 tones sometimes gives me audio fatigue and there's less to think about with one less tone. At this demo site I switched to 2F tones for the same reason, I was starting to get audio fatigue with 3H, but was surprised in 2F tones I found the nickels at a spot I thought I covered well in 3H tones.

I guess I don't really get the point of monotone? Wouldn't you want the machine to grunt on iron, and produce a "good" tone for non-iron? With monotone you'll be glued to the screen right? Tom you make a good point on disc vs AM mode, although I've found that AM mode is a lot more quite then disc mode when you have mineralization and such.
I think the point of monotone is to overcome the disc limitations of 2F
December 23, 2009 11:55PM
using 2f will tend to ID pretty much everything below around 16 as iron (audio wise), despite the disc settings. While I rarely dig anything that low that is actually a good target, there are times when co-located targets, severly mineralized soils, and extreme depth will make good targets ID well below what they actually are. As I said in my earlier post, while I "may' lose the odd target huting in 2F Vs monotone, the tradeoff in more pleasurable hunting is more than worth it to me.
December 24, 2009 04:38AM
Mono tone and AM are very different for me. I did use AM boost to find that cool key at GG park with Crosby, but I think EMI was knocking out my machine. I really like the way the LTD or F75 works in mono tone. That is all I used at the camp where Crosby scored big time..in fact I was thinking of seeing if you and Crosby want to hunt below the camp with me. We can't hit the camp but we think there had to be other places that the miners were. We will have to cross a creek that will be full of water the longer winter leaves its wetness. Waders for sure. I will take you and Crosby if you take us on a good city hunt. We should do it in Jan. On a Saturday...talk to him and let me know...

P.S. last year Crosby and I were hunting during a wet day in Marin and both are units sucked..it could have been EMI Nasa Tom uses the CZ 3 for EMI and that is why I got one..do you know how to fix the headphone jack I get sound out of the speaker but not out of the headphones....

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

December 24, 2009 04:51AM
If you are going to find the good stuff in trash sometimes you have to eat it and go mono it is better at unmasking..yeah you have to look at the meter but if you find even one cool bit of history it is worth having a huge eye ache at the end of the hunt..

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

December 24, 2009 12:51PM
Cal......If you are in Disc mode with monotone selected,,,,, you do NOT have to have your eyes glued to the ID screen.......as you will most probably be running Disc on '6'. This will silence most iron targets...............the detector remains quiet..............and when the detector does report a audio sound........then, and only then....will you look at the ID numbers. You will not be glued to the ID numbers at all..... until you finally find a non-ferrous target......AND..................by the time you decide to look at the ID numbers,, you may have already decided (just by the audio response alone) that you will/will not dig this target........regardless of ID.
Re: F75 LTD 2F Tones Merry Xmas Nasa Tom!
December 24, 2009 04:12PM
The other thing that may come into play is if you have hunted a place before with a disc of 6 mono tone and you want to rehunt it you should lower your disc and you may start to hit more targets or more bits of iron but if you get a fairly nice mono tone that repeats you then will have to look at your meter. Anyplace that has a lot of trash or iron will be tough to hunt. If you are finding bits of borken china or broken glass signs someone that had lived on the land. Or iron then you have to find what works...Mono tone has pulled out more targets for me.

Then again you can go with 0 disc and four tone and as high sens as you can achive.

EMI will change it all maybe if Fisher had a switch that would sheild the detector for times that warrent that need. Everything is a trade off when you run into a hard place to hunt. But if it is hard for the F75/LTD then what is it doing to the other detectors that have tried to hunt there?

I think the LTD and F75 can be pushed really hard and then as long as you understand your unit you have a lot of options....but if all fails grab your CZ 70 and a small coil and slow down you will find what others have missed even if it is one target of history or has meaning to you, then it is worth it.. The miners had to work too hard to find gold and so must we at times.

You are a good hunter I have seen what you can pull out of the ground. I think all you need is the LTD/F75 and your CZ 70..then we wait to see what Nasa Tom has been working on and hope we still have the energy to do two hundred squats a hunt..Merry Xmas...Will Fisher have something new next year..if so they will blow the socks off all the other compaines....go fisher!

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

December 24, 2009 05:25PM
"do two hundred squats a hunt"

Isn't that the truth. My wife laughs at me when I tell her how my muscles ache after a hunt. She thinks there is no exercise value whatsoever to MD'ing. I don't think the average person realizes just how much activity us Fisher diehards actually get.
December 24, 2009 05:42PM
So 2F tones can falsely report non-iron targets as iron, whereas monotone will more accurately report those iffy low conductor targets. I'll check this out this weekend when I go up north. There's an old homestead site I hunted once that's loaded with trash and iron. Aside from some age indicators, I didn't find anything really interesting last time, but I bet there's at least one old coin to be found there with the right settings and machine.

Lawrenzo that sounds like it would be a fun hunt, I'm sure there should be other camps around there. Maybe we could spread out and start searching and when one of us starts hitting iron or whatever, we'll all comb that area. Any way to research those areas? I'll talk to Crosby.

If the headphone jack quit on your CZ, I would open it up and test the jack out. If your handy with electronics maybe you can solder a replacement jack in, otherwise you might have to send it to FT for a look.

We can always hunt in the city, lots of old parks to hunt. I'm still itching to hunt oldtown Sacto, although I know it's probably been pounded to death, but I'm sure there's more to be found.

Happy hunting and Happy Holidays,
Brian
December 25, 2009 12:10AM
You got that if it was not for trash maybe 150 squats.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

December 27, 2009 05:37AM
Hey Brian

Might want to bring your CZ (just in case) if your hunting downtown Sacto. Lots of power lines and interference. Ron has been pounding them parks in Sacto for years with his EX.

Ray(Ca)