Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Best Detector for use in high EMI

Posted by Denny2w 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Best Detector for use in high EMI
December 22, 2013 07:14PM
Does anyone make a metal detector (present or past) that is above average in rejecting EMI?
I have been to many otherwise great sites that could not be hunted. Has anyone tryed something like a shielded
coil umbrella to reduce overhead noise from above? Maybe I dreaming, but I know there are some great sites
that don't ever get hunted because of the noise.
Re: Best Detector for use in high EMI
December 22, 2013 10:19PM
The Gold Bug Pro DP did better for me than the Etrac, Whites V3i, DFX, F75 and ET Pro.
There is something special about this machine in the EMI areas.
December 22, 2013 10:20PM
Have you tried a CZ of any type?

I've hunted near some of the BIG power line towers where many machines can't get within a 1/8 mile of with most of my CZ units in the past and with little to no interference unless I went directly next to/under them
(I think it's because of the good shielding of the units)

as someone else said here

the Deus and Gold Bug series work good too (higher freq.)

I had a gold bug that did really good and currently use a Deus ---

most times when I get near EMI prone areas with the Deus - I have to stay at 18KH to hunt as the lower 12, 8, and 4 are impossible to hunt in
(but then again - I use 18KH almost exclusively anyway)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2013 10:47PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
December 22, 2013 10:24PM
In my findings, overhead power lines (high tensionis what some people call them) can be hunted very easily with machines that run above 15kHz. I hunt a Civil War battle site that has some main power lines running from a nuclear plant that can be hunted with the right machine. In this area when hunting with an inferior machine the EMI starts about 100 feet before you get to them. Some machines started having trouble much farther away.
Some machines that I have tested are:
Tesoro Tejon
Tesoro Vaquero
Troy X-5
XP Deus
All of the machines above can be run at normal sensitivity settings and has found countless relics at decent depths hunting directly under the power lines. This is the type lines that you see crossing interstate highways and such.
The XP has only been there twice but has found grapeshot, minie balls, and fragment and very respectable depths.
The Explorer series machines can only run with sensitivity setting of about 10-12 on any of the noise channels.
The CTX 3030 runs a little better than the Explorers but you still have to cut it back to hunt.
The F75 SE and the F70 cannot get close to these lines.
If the EMI is from a tv broadcast antenna or from electric fences that is a different story. I have yet to find a machine that can handle EMI from them.
This is my findings in a site where many people just avoid because of EMI.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
December 22, 2013 10:40PM
MichiganRelicHunter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you tried a CZ of any type?
>
> I've hunted near some of the BIG power line towers
> where many machines can't get within a 1/8 mile of
> with most of my CZ units in the past and with
> little to no interference unless I went directly
> next to/under them

Never used a CZ, my current detectors are a F75-LTD and a Tesoro Cortes. Both are
about equal in the EMI department. The 3 old locations I have in mind all have the big towers
overhead. I can turn down the sensitivity, but these sites are over 100 years old
and I expect the treasures are fairly deep.
December 22, 2013 10:46PM
southernexplorer Wrote:
> In my findings, overhead power lines (high
> tensionis what some people call them) can be
> hunted very easily with machines that run above
> 15kHz. I hunt a Civil War battle site that has
> some main power lines running from a nuclear plant
> that can be hunted with the right machine. In this
> area when hunting with an inferior machine the EMI
> starts about 100 feet before you get to them. Some
> machines started having trouble much farther
> away.
> Some machines that I have tested are:
> Tesoro Tejon
> Tesoro Vaquero
> Troy X-5
> XP Deus
> All of the machines above can be run at normal
> sensitivity settings and has found countless
> relics at decent depths hunting directly under the
> power lines. This is the type lines that you see
> crossing interstate highways and such.
> The XP has only been there twice but has found
> grapeshot, minie balls, and fragment and very
> respectable depths.
> The Explorer series machines can only run with
> sensitivity setting of about 10-12 on any of the
> noise channels.
> The CTX 3030 runs a little better than the
> Explorers but you still have to cut it back to
> hunt.
> The F75 SE and the F70 cannot get close to these
> lines.
> If the EMI is from a tv broadcast antenna or from
> electric fences that is a different story. I have
> yet to find a machine that can handle EMI from
> them.
> This is my findings in a site where many people
> just avoid because of EMI.

Tommy
Thanks for this information. I may borrow a friend gold machine, It should
be a pretty high frequency.
December 22, 2013 10:49PM
markg Wrote:
> The Gold Bug Pro DP did better for me than the
> Etrac, Whites V3i, DFX, F75 and ET Pro.
> There is something special about this machine in
> the EMI areas.

My buddy has an original Gold Bug I sure he will loan it to me ...
Thanks for the tip...
December 22, 2013 11:18PM
Denny just because you find a machine to work under EMI conditions remember it does not mean its working at full potential..

or like it should...

take a High freq machine under say a high line that crosses the country side......it runs fine in disc mode at high gain...flip it into all metal and listen to it...Should be pulsing and motorboating...

You still have EMI taking place in your machine its just not heard in the Disc audio as noise...I know I hunt under high lines at times when I need to to but to be truthful I often worry I am harming a detector by doing it..I can also attest to the fact that if its an iron littered site under a high Line that the unmasking is diminished compared to a site not under the line's...but still I am able to make recoveries I otherwise could not without the high freq detector's.. but something is going on still .. just not as noticable audibly wise...

On the DEUS under MY set of High lines I did not find it to perform well even at 18khz and I suspect it's because its a manipulated freq...

ones that seem to work in EMI areas..

MXT with DD coil forget the concentric around emi...
G2
Gold Bug pro
xterra 705 HF freq
Xterra 70 HF
GMP
GM
DTVG
DEUS most places on 18khz except under the High Line's.
Nautilus ..all metal turned off if under high lines ..but usually any other area Im fine..
Tejon
Vaqero
Cibola
Troy x5
Lobo ST
lobo original
CTX with SMALL coil
(NOTE) using CTX under high lines on wide open sens using 6 inch coil ran great ...Explorer and etrac under high line using small 4.5x7 or 5 inch sunray runs very noisy and power has to be throttled back a good bit..the CTX has the ability to handle EMI better than the Explorer/etrac..tested same time ...
Gold Scanner pro
Classic 3 with freq shift..Dont ask but it work's LOL!!Even under the high lines that are leaking badly...of course the metal pole and armcuff will shock the tar out of you as you start to sweat...
Gold Bug 2

Also remember that if you are say hunting under the high lines...side by side towers... there will be spots the machine's mentioned will run better than other spots in the same area..if you stay directly under them I find some machines mentioned above to run fine, move to the side a bit of the right away and they go bonker's...I can actually get my T2 S.E. to run fairly well on the sides of the power lines but not under them same with a Sovereign... ..So take that into consederation also...the DEUS is very site dependant around the line's some spots its doable and other spots it aint happening...

still lot's of variables when hunting under high volatage...

this is all seen from my neck of the woods also...so take that into consideration...but for the most part like Southern explorer said the higher freqs handle Audible EMI well..

Some broadbands are nosiy too ..some are not..I went to satelite TV at the house and you wont believe how much less noise I have than before when I had Comcast..

Comcast in your house is like living inside a microwave oven....LOL!

Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2013 01:17AM by Keith Southern.
December 23, 2013 12:46AM
I was hunting Saturday under and around these power lines and did notice some noise in certain locations but in others when in non motion disc mode it was very smooth and I was recovering targets at very decent depths. At this same location I tried the same 6" coil on my CTX but the machine was very unstable even at low sensitivity levels so it looks like the site will dictate which machines run best. The G2 also failed in this site. Some of the other machines on your list I have not owned. All lower frequency Tesoro's fail here also. So far my Deus has been good as far as EMI goes as long as the reactivity is 2 or lower and I do not push the audio response to high. What is good about this site is most hunters just run by this area because there machine goes crazy.

Tommy C.
(southernexplorer)
Deus - Etrac - GPX 5000
December 23, 2013 01:37AM
I can run my Deus at 97 (out of 99) in the worst of times. At places that made my F5 chatter non-stop until it almost drove me mad! Or until I lowered the Threshold and the gain. The Fisher Gold Bug Pro/Teknetics G2 run quietly at full gain......in most places.
December 23, 2013 01:56PM
Dunno but that noise cancel in the Explorer series did wonders. A lot depends on where the EMI originates...Always remember trying to ground balance under a high tension electrical box with a CZ and thought my unit went bonkers until my buddy pointed to the box...Moved a bit closer to the center of the field and all was well. Now around the old coal breakers or yards where they threw the ashes that's a different story....
December 24, 2013 03:33AM
i love the gb pro!With that said, I run it in all metal alot...prospecting...and it gets plenty of emi...usually to remind me to turn off my cell phone.