Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Signum, AKA Technology , from Russia has arrived!

Posted by possum mo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Re: New Signum, AKA Technology , from Russia has arrived!
February 24, 2014 02:28PM
Interesting comments Ziggy. Having only looked into the Signum and not yet used one (in a few days I will), I read it as a very deep and relatively very fast machine.
I'm really looking at it as a light and well balanced replacement for my E-Trac (or the CTX). And I wonder if it's separation is better than it's speed, so to speak. Though it sounded very fast in some online videos.

But, what is intersting here is something I thought about just the other day - These detectors are a bit like cars in that the Italians have their version (powerful, loud and fast), the Germans theirs (fine engineering), the Americans theirs, etc.
We have US detectors who excel in one area, Minelab/Australia who do their thing, then came along XP and the Euro crowd who approach things a bit differently. Quite shocking and interesting discussions on the board in that regard.

Now we have another region in Russia, putting their mark on things. What will it be? Again I haven't used an AKA yet, but it sort of stands out in some regards. The way Igor has described some of the technology inside (here but perhaps more over at Gary's forum) sounds like it is a bit ingenious. The depth with good separation I see it getting shows me something is under the hood that we might not have exactly seen before. Your main screen is the hodograph with the typical VID and such. Me being
a bit of a visual person (though auditory first on detectors), that has me a bit excited - I will only see that hodograph when I look down and hopefully over time that creates some valuable extra information for my visual brain side.
The sound it has, in part, reflects the technology. I heard that Minelab can't just put Explorer sounds on the E-Trac. So, coming from Minelabs and loving their sounds, I'm very curious about the similar sounding
Polyphonic choice on the AKA's. A child waiting for X-Mas to arrive...

Reminds me of the space race in a way. Remember the Americans spent a few million coming up with a pressurised ball point pen to write in space. What did the Russians do?
They used pencils, problem solved and more money saved for more important areas. (Not sure if that is a true story, but the point is there are some pretty creative ways to go about problem solving.) And culturally, we experience those ways differently.

So, here I am, an American living in Europe about to use a Russian detector! Look out for the Earthmansurfer! winking smiley

Albert
February 24, 2014 04:04PM
I think you will find out Albert what's what as I'm a subscriber to your YouTube channel and like watching your informative videos.... I do similar test to get a feel of a detector before I hit the field.

I found the hodo to be accurate depending on depth and size of items and there was no other contaminates around your desired target like iron..... you can zoom the hodo but then you start distorting the info I found depending on targets once again.

Just so many different loops and odd lines it's a case of you need to live and learn the machine to understand what it is telling you, but saying that ain't that the case with all machines.

All that I said is what I found with a limited time period with both and found the sorex pro a more rounded machine as mentioned before due to less settings to mess things up.

I could never pass judgment on a machine or review any machine like I've done on garys forum without a good understanding of how one setting affects another but I hope you do some videos and find out more than I.

Just my opinions and means nothing for the brand....another mans crap is someone else's gold.

Hope Keith get his hands in one also for a video review.
April 11, 2014 06:49PM
I took Mr Siggy to the local park for the first time. 10" coil . Ran program 1, with ST-P audio. I only had an hour to detect. I picked up 2 quarters , 2 dimes and a cent. Nothing exciting. I went mostly by a good sounding audio, and confirmed the signals with the hodograph. I am really getting to like that graph. The coins are basically a straight line, or very thin long loop, bent down almost horizontal. I had one signal, than sometimes looked like a coin, and other sweeps over the target produced a small circle. The VDI numbers were indicating aluminum range. I was not sure if it was a deep coin, giving a low VDI number, or something else. I dug down 7 inches and there was a pulltab with unbent tail. I use audio as my first alert, then the hodo, and at last the VDI numbers, as the numbers do hop around a bit.
HH
April 11, 2014 09:04PM
Possum - I've dug 1/4" square aluminum pull tab pieces at 9". The VID was all over but the signal was pretty solid. I really wonder how deep I can detect a quarter sized silver coin with this bad boy. The detector in a way is like the E-Trac in that it is pretty hot right out of the box. I just make sure to have my gain on 7 and my sensitivity on 8 or above. With that it will hit at E-Trac depths. Generally I run it a bit hotter though. The machine is still more quiet than the T2 I had in the past, but nothing like quiet of the Omega. Gotta get that GB right on.

I usually run the machine in Turbo, generally it is stable. I don't need the extra battery life and hope to find a fringe depth target, but thus far, even the 10" coin I dug was a solid hit. I'm thinking I can hit a quarter sized silver coin at close to 12", 11" for sure. That would be nice to get on film... Some random thoughts and questions.

I actually like RTL-ST over RT-ST. Just a bit more quiet and the target info (beep) is clearer. I hunt with the RT side usually off for a more quiet hunt. But I often turn it to 5 to get more info. It sure is a nice way of not missing targets, but noisy. There is a lot of info there, if you can handle it then go for it. I'm getting more attracted to hunting with it for periods of time, as there really is a lot of info there and it makes it harder to miss good targets at depth imo.
I don't, unfortunately like the polyphonic mode much.
I have a program with MM enabled to check deep targets. I also use RT to check targets - iron check.
Speaking of RT mode, it is not what they claim. You can play with the ST and RT sensitivity and they BOTH affect the RT mode sound. It is doing something interesting. I think it might be the deepest mode, but too difficult as a primary hunt mode, unless the ground is super clean.

I have the Hodograph set so that deep targets show a very small hodograph (Zoom WS setting). Sort of a depth confirmation and at depth no sense in trying to get much data imo. (i.e. low intensity)
I run accumulation at 1 on all the programs. (2 or more allows for building the hodograph on multiple passes.) Too much in my ground for that generally.

Have you tried checking depth with the MM mode? Gary said he thought it might be deeper, which goes counter to what you'd expect with a faster recovery speed. Thus far, even those deep coins I got hit with MM enabled.
You need to increase the length of the sound as it will clip those deeper targets and unfortunately you can't do it for just one user program, it does them all. So, I generally run in normal.

Have you played with the filters at all? I see no depth change thus far in my moderately to lower iron mineralized ground.

Albert
April 12, 2014 03:52AM
Albert, so far I think I have been out once a month. Now that spring is here, Im going to try to get out a few times a week. I need to use it more, so I can remember all the settings, etc, LOL.
I've just been running it in its default settings so far. Trying to learn the beast. I'm hopin the hodograph will be useful, separating gold rings from other targets in its number range. Time will tell.
The Hodo is the one thing I plan on studying a lot.
April 13, 2014 11:11AM
Agree,that Signum is like a chess to play with and it is fun,that you all like to play with it.
And,I like those nicknames,you guys give-Mr.Siggy or Bad Boy.