Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

fun experience

Posted by deathray 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
fun experience
December 31, 2013 03:18PM
I have not been out much lately. So,getting the itch and with a couple hours of daylight left, I hit the creek near my house. I took the gb pro,but left the headphones at home. I detected till sunset,only finding trash. My last target was a 22 bullet. For whatever reason,I sat there for about 30 seconds rubbing the taget against the bottom of the coil, screwing around trying to make that scratching noise the rappers make on s turntable...wierd,I know.As I stand up,I see something grey running across the bedrock outcrop 30 yards away..A Bobcat!! Guess I sounded like a wounded rabbit,lol. Glad I didnt call in a lion! Happy New Year everyone!!!

Fast Reply

Full Version
Re: fun experience
December 31, 2013 03:54PM
Ha, pretty neat. Squeaks and squeals do attract predators....it's like a dinner bell to them.
December 31, 2013 04:06PM
That's a good one, deathray! Guess you have some skills as a rapper...at least the bobcats think so... smiling smiley

Steve
December 31, 2013 04:33PM
Wow I once saw one in Ione by the old brick yard this was a long time ago. This was a female and she had a long tail I thought it was a dog at first. then I saw the cubs and hightailed it out from there. They will never let you know they are tracking you till they are about to hit their pray and even then its too late. A stun gun would be one way of maybe saving ones life or using Ray's new detector sound good thing you didn't have your headphones on bud...Mountain lion sorry I did see a bob cat in Marin small but powerful animal

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2014 03:23AM by Lawrenzo.
December 31, 2013 04:37PM
Sometimes the little things in life give us a smile...Always remember years ago my bother bought an electronic fox call and along with my uncle sat and awaited a fox. After a bit my uncle said we were both nuts and we left...whoops a fox ran in front of the car as we departed and still brings a smile 30 years later even though my brother and uncle have passed on...life is making memories....so indeed smell the roses....
December 31, 2013 05:24PM
Lowrenzo,it was a bobcat,not a mtn lion. Only seen one live lion,but plenty that where hit by cars.
December 31, 2013 05:52PM
lol, that was funny. Now you know you can use that as a predator call.
Once myself and two buddies were detecting an old plantation site with a bayou running along one side, with the bank all overgrown with trees and undergrowth. I was in the field with one of the others detecting and he was kneeled down checking a hole and the third guy was trying to detect the bayou bank nearby. The guy on the bayou bank must have jumped a bedded deer because a deer came running out into the field where me and the other guy was, jumping over the guy knelt down checking a target out. It was funny, wish I couldve got a picture of that.
HH
John
December 31, 2013 10:22PM
Lol. I see a few bobcats every year. Pretty animal.
January 01, 2014 05:31AM
Here kitty kitty,

I have a nice Remington 30.06 with a special made bullet with your name all over it!
January 01, 2014 11:51PM
Dont mind the loan bobcats its the pack of coyotes around here that frighten me...they get to yelping right at sunset...Make the hair stand up on the back of our neck out in the wood's by yourself and they get to calling each other...

Keith
January 02, 2014 12:18AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dont mind the loan bobcats its the pack of coyotes
> around here that frighten me...they get to yelping
> right at sunset...Make the hair stand up on the
> back of our neck out in the wood's by yourself and
> they get to calling each other...
>
> Keith

Same here Keith!

Not a fun experience to deal with :-/
January 02, 2014 12:53AM
I agree, Keith. I don't have any issues with a lone Coyote. But, I'd think if they had a mind to, a pack of them in hunting mode could cause a problem for a person...

Steve
January 02, 2014 02:21AM
Theres a pack near my house...hear them yelping at sunset...I kinda like it.
January 02, 2014 02:05PM
I don't mind the coyotes. There's a place I like to go deer hunt that is in west TN...and that is one of the highlites of going out there. Right at last light, you'll hear one lonesome coyote let out a few yelps and then howl...and that fires up a pack or two or three all around you. The bobcat is a neat animal. If you ever hear one scream in the wild, while you are in the woods at night, you'll have a newfound sound that will raise the hair all over your body and make you almost levitate. They sound just like a young woman/girl screaming bloody murder. Many people in this area mistake them for being "panthers" that let out that kind of yell...but it's 100% bobcat.
January 02, 2014 02:35PM
Are the coyotes bavk east bigger/meaner?? Just curious because I have never heard of anyone being fearful of coyotes untill now. I spend most of my free time out in the canyons,mountains and woods. we have lions,bears etc..The main things that worry me though are hornets,rattlers ,tweakers and growers.
January 02, 2014 03:08PM
Daniel, the fox around here have that 'woman in distress' scream, although it's probably a shorter vocal....drives my dog nuts. When I first moved up to the country, one night I thought there was a crazy lady outside. Put my shoes on grabbed a powerful flashlight. My wife said "are you going out there". Heck yea, that gal needs some help. I followed the screams then turned on the light, there was a beautiful fox, as in the animal fox....no damsel in distress.

Ray, I'm not sure if the coyotes are any bigger/meaner around here in SE, Pa., I don't see them often. They try to stay away from us humans. Most people even don't know they're around here.
January 02, 2014 03:09PM
deathray -- rattlers, tweakers, and growers are probably much bigger concerns than coyotes, I agree. In my mind, mountain lions and bears are, too...

Steve
January 02, 2014 03:21PM
We have a quite a few coydogs around here in upstate New York, when they get close and start yelping they can make a bald man's hair stand straight up. [www.rrhsbirdseyeview.com]
January 02, 2014 04:34PM
What is this world coming to

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!