Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ultimate 13" for Teknetics G2 WTB?

Posted by wolfau 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ultimate 13" for Teknetics G2 WTB?
January 10, 2014 09:24AM
HI,

Just wondering if anyone knows where to buy the Detech Ultimate 13" for the G2 preferably in black not white.

Alternatively I would be interested in buying a good second hand one as well.

Thank You

Joe from Aus
CZ3D, G2, Garrett Sea Hunter M2
Re: Ultimate 13" for Teknetics G2 WTB?
January 10, 2014 02:40PM
I have one on my G2...love it! Here in the US the only authorized dealer is Kellyco, but you have to find it under the Tekentics Omega. I se them on Ebay also. Bill
January 10, 2014 07:56PM
I don't think you can buy them in black

I painted mine with a black metallic free rubber undercoating paint as I found it works far better than just regular old "paint" even though you do have to do some touch ups as it wears

(still beats the ugly white color that sticks out like a sore thumb though)!
January 10, 2014 09:44PM
Thanks for the replies.

I did buy on ebay was told delivery was 6 eeeks and then he wanted a
Ridicolous amount for shipping so cancelled.

I sent an email to kellyco and they have no stock.

Coil i have been looking for is the goldbugpro. Will look for the

Omega one.

Its ridicolous on trying to order this coil and the nel.

If i build a new workshop end of year or next year i may start producing

Coils myself.

Thanks

Joe from Aus
CZ3D, G2, Garrett Sea Hunter M2
January 11, 2014 01:30AM
I tried to buy one for my G2 during their 12 days of Christmas sale and didn't have them in stock at that time. I ended up getting the one for my ET and man I'm glad I did. Still its white but I can live with it. I keep checking back as I am not going to give them my money to hold for something they can't tell me when it will arrive. I know they will have a few extras other than the ones they have "deposits" for but I will have to be quick.
January 11, 2014 06:17AM
Is there really an Ultimate 13 made specifically for the G2/Gold Bug Pro? I have never seen such a beast advertised. I use the 13 Ultimate for the F75 on my Gold Bug Pro and it seems to work fine.
January 11, 2014 07:15AM
Steve --

I'm surprised that the one for the F75 works well...as by rights it "shouldn't." I had an F70 at one point (sister machine of the F75), and I had the 5" F75 coil for it; I spoke with Dave Johnson about whether I could use that 5" coil, or if I needed the one specific to the Gold Bug Pro, and he said that the F70/75 coils are not designed to work with the GB Pro; what DOES work with the GB Pro though (which he verified) are any of the DD coils produced for the "Greek Series" units -- the Delta, Gamma, and Omega. From that perspective, the "right" 13" Ultimate coil to use with the GB Pro is the one designed for the Tek Omega.

You feel that the one you have, designed for the F75, works well on the GB Pro? The depth is better than the 11" stock coil? Are the ID numbers in the correct range (presuming you have ever run the Pro with 13" coil in disc. mode)?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts...

Steve
January 11, 2014 09:35PM
It seems to work just fine but allow me time to double check target id numbers. While it seems to work fine I would not recommend anyone buy it as any depth advantage over the Fisher 11" seems too small to pay for. I only have it because I sold my F75 and when I found the 13" worked on my Pro I kept it figuring I would sort it all out later. On my F75 it gave me like maybe another 1/2" of depth on a 1/4 oz nugget so no big deal.

The reality is you have a 13 kHz machine and a 19 kHz machine so not a bad bet the coils would work. Garrett uses the same coils on the AT Pro and the AT Gold at 15 kHz and 18 kHz so just a little more spread here. The Omega is 7.8 kHz so I fail to see how that is a good match.

But I will check it out again when I have time and report back. Thing is I still have not seen a 13" Ultimate directly advertised as being for the G2/Gold Bug Pro. Has anyone else?
January 12, 2014 01:42AM
13" Ultimate on my G2 has given me 1" to1 & 1/2" more depth in ground on actual targets. I have used the Ultimate for the last year and a half and it has never came off...I have no use for the stock 11" coil. I have pulled 58 caliber minie ball bullets from the 10-11" range with the Ultimate that the 11" would have never seen. A good friend of mine in PA (digger70pa) posts on here and some other forums and he vouches for it also on the G2. Totally changes the G2 (in a very good way).
January 12, 2014 02:04AM
Thanks, Steve, for the info.

I'm not sure WHY the Omega coils are "proper" to use with the GB Pro. I agree with you, it seems strange. I don't claim to understand enough about those types of things to make sense of it. For what it's worth, I remember trying the 5" F75 coil on my Gold Bug Pro for a couple of minutes, and it seemed to "work," though I didn't check target IDs with it. I still bought a 5" Gold Bug coil, though, per Dave J.'s suggestion.

Here's the entirety of Dave's advice...this comes from a "sticky" at the top of the Gold Bug Pro/G2 forum over at Findmall...

The new Bug (and also Tek G2) are designed to work with the Tek "Greek series" (also known as "Frat Bros." ) series DD searchcoils, which at this time (Nov 2010) consists of a 5 inch round and an 11 inch elliptical.

Some people have gotten creative and plugged in other searchcoils from the FratBros and F75 series just to find out what happens. Results have been mixed. Because of manufacturing variation in searchcoils some individual ones of a particular type may "work" and others may not work. The ones that "work" may in fact exhibit subtle performance deficiencies, or may seem to work fine today but not tomorrow.

FTP-Fisher explicitly un-recommends that people purchase anything other than searchcoils specified for use with these units. But if you have one of our other searchcoils anyway, there's nothing to stop you from plugging it in just to see what happens. It won't damage the machine. Note however that Tek T2 searchcoils flat out won't work, they're wired different.

This question crops up on such a regular basis that I invite the moderator to make it a "sticky".

--Dave J.

Maybe someone with the technical understanding of coil design and operating frequency might chime in, as to why an F75 (13 kHz machine) coil is not "supposed" to work, whereas a "Greek series" coil (7.8 kHz machine) would...

sekypaleo -- thanks for the info on the 13" Ultimate, for the G2 (presumably, as Steve is pointing out, you mean the 13" "Omega" coil). I really would like to try one for my GB Pro, but I NEVER see these things come up used. If there's one thing that would be a HUGE, HUGE upgrade on the G2, in my opinion, it would be "boost-type" depth; if the 13" pushes it in that direction by an inch to an inch-and-a-half, that's a start...(but, not for $199!)

Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2014 02:05AM by steveg.
January 12, 2014 08:24AM
I air tested the F75 Ultimate coil and the Omega Ultimate coil on my Gold Bug pro and found that they had similiar depth but the audio was better for the last inch or so with the correct coil. Both air tested better than the 11 inch coil.
January 12, 2014 09:39AM
Thanks for the info, beastdig. Interesting.

Steve
January 12, 2014 02:00PM
My guess is that even using an Omega coil you are not using a coil optimized for the G2/Gold Bug Pro and results could vary.
January 12, 2014 09:31PM
I got mine through Kelly Co last year and been using it here and there.

Off Topic on these loops...

I found out that the U-13's are not waterproof/resistant. In wet grass, water can migrate from the strain relief and into the unit. Giving you false tones.
I have a can of liquid electrical tape and applied 3 coats around the base and entire strain relief part.
So far so good. Just a heads up if anyone has had issues along those lines.
January 13, 2014 05:59AM
Joe,

If you want a used 13" Ultimare in white, I have one that I was just about to list on ebay. Not much use on it and it works great. I no longer have my Omega and G2, so the coil is up for sale. Drop me pm and we'll work out a reasonable price with actual shipping.

Harry
January 13, 2014 01:49PM
Harry, if Joe doesnt want it,Ill buy it off you ASAP. Wish I knew you had it when I saw ya. Ray
January 13, 2014 04:03PM
Ray -- I sent him a PM earlier, saying the same thing! Looks like he has no shortage of options in terms of willing buyers!

Steve
January 13, 2014 05:22PM
Dude, where does the line form?

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 13, 2014 05:29PM
Pasttom --

That's funny. We ARE sort of starting a "line" here...

Steve
January 13, 2014 06:22PM
Yeah, there is a whole lot of interest in this coil and it seems to be a mystery to the maker that they could sell a few more if they were available.
Maybe it is just not an option for them. Bummer.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 14, 2014 01:24AM
Its a great coil never comes off my omega, for a 13" coil it seperates very well and is pretty lightweight for its size. Also well built. Paul
January 14, 2014 04:09AM
Just waiting for Harry to get back to me.
January 15, 2014 01:34PM
13" Ultimate's can be purchased new here >> [www.kellycodetectors.com]