Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do we really need new units????

Posted by Dan-Pa. 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Do we really need new units????
January 21, 2014 04:37PM
Following the forums and classifieds seems like some guys change units like some guys change their shorts..
How in heavens name can you learn a unit in a few hunts....have to admit tried a bunch over the years and learned a lot doing so but in the long run
some guys using units for years even though old technology do quite well. Guess it depends on the hunter in question and we all know running out of new spots to hunt seems like a different unit just seems to open and area again. Certainly no reflection on any individual or member of the forum and perhaps after all these years for the time being using what works for me. Just saw where one old fellow sold all his units and went back to 20 year old technology so perhaps a light went on with him also. In any case we are all individuals so whatever works...last but not least good hunting all whatever your strategies....
Re: Do we really need new units????
January 21, 2014 05:01PM
I think we've all done it at one time or the other. I've owned everything from little Radio Shack detectors, to having TWO Minelab GPXs over the years, and everything in between.

What am I back to now? A plain Fisher F75. Not even the boost machine version...just the gold and black F75. In my journey, I've found that it doesn't go the deepest. It ain't the quietest or fastest in iron or trash. It doesn't like powerlines, fences, cell phones, etc. But it plain works for me. I understand what its telling me. I wish I could have a GPX again for the depth. I wish I could have the XP Deus for the speed and bringing the "fun" factor it brings. I wish I could have a Minelab eTrac or CTX for silver coins. But I can't have them all and the F75 is my answer to the question "if you could pick just one...what would it be".
January 21, 2014 05:45PM
After using approx. 100 units over the years including every CZ model ever made CZ's just work well for me.
In retrospect a fellow I have hunted with many times bought an XLT brand new way back when they first came out and never changed and still can put a hurting on some of the best hunters in the club using the newest most pricey units on the block...so again we are all individuals and whatever works. PS: of course his battery pack wore out and he bought rechargeables which he uses in his alkaline pack but its never been back for service and yep had a couple of new peel off screen covers so how is that for Whites quality...
January 21, 2014 06:09PM
If MDs were wives then one should only have one. Since they are tools, other factors govern. I know some of us get a little too attached to our equipment, but for another sermon. There are so many variables in this game. How often do you hunt? Many I am sure don't get out enough to really learn one detector properly. Some just are slow learners or quick forgetters and that speaks to how many one can efficiently utilize. Some only do one type of hunting and need find the best unit for that set of conditions. One would like to do that for every set of conditions we find. Then there is the affordability factor (can I afford for my wife to figure out what I have actually spent...). Just like there is no perfect detector for all situations there are a million reasons for how many detectors are proper. Isn't it great we are free to own what our circumstances and conscience permit!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 21, 2014 07:10PM
Everyone is looking for the perfect detector and with every new one that appears on the market provides hope.
Some folks can afford to buy and try new non-stop. Others do it gradually buying used machines. Some have already found comfort machines
that worked well for the person. Whether it it was sold long ago, or still own it, considered one of the favorite machines. Aren't we all drawn back to that machine,
some of us actually repurchased one of those older machines...............I think we all need at least three machines to cover most hunting situations. All purpose machine,
specialized machine, and a deep machine. What machines you add, replace into each category how dedicated you are to the hobby and your pocketbook.

P.S. Some just like to try the newest machines because they can, and it's then great to read reviews etc. they can then provide.. With the internet, we can now communicate,read and discuss the oldest, newest latest fangled machines instantly. Wasn't like that years ago with only magazines and newsletters....... every few months to draw from. These days we have a lot more options to bewilder our minds...LOL

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
January 21, 2014 10:32PM
Isn't the internet great? I'm sure the manufacturers love it. I like the fact that so many used detectors are only a keypad away. All the information available is awesome too of course.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
January 21, 2014 10:47PM
The new detectors are great but I miss the detectors that you could make all the adjustments just by turning knobs. Having to go through a menu to make adjustments can be a pain. Its funny because most of the best DSLR cameras feature more adjustments you can make externally without scrolling through a menu.
January 21, 2014 11:27PM
In my line of work, a handyman of sorts, I am always looking for tools, or hardware that will do a better job, more efficiently, better results, less wasted time. I look at detectors in the same light. Fortunately , I don't have the cash to buy and try every new unit that comes along, but rather have to be selective, based on others opinions here, and also a gut feel on features of new " detecting tools". I think a lot of guys burn thru a lot of machines looking for that one or two machines that will stand out from the rest. I personally try to keep each detector at least 6 mo. to get to know it , and of course, its easier on the wallet. Living on the edge of poverty has its advantages! LOL.
January 22, 2014 01:37AM
Dan it's nice to try new machines out occasionally to compare them to machines you know that work for you. But I have come to the point that I am done wasting my money on the newest best thing since sliced bread machines. I am now very happy and confident in what I have been using and now instead of buying new machines I am taking that money and I plan on getting any and all accesories offered for my machine. It's nice to be happy and content for a change and that's where I am at now.
January 22, 2014 02:46AM
Yes...every inch counts and unmasking is the kicker bring on the next new machine

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
January 22, 2014 08:03AM
Dan-Pa. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Following the forums and classifieds seems like
> some guys change units like some guys change their
> shorts..
> How in heavens name can you learn a unit in a few
> hunts....have to admit tried a bunch over the
> years and learned a lot doing so but in the long
> run
> some guys using units for years even though old
> technology do quite well. Guess it depends on the
> hunter in question and we all know running out of
> new spots to hunt seems like a different unit just
> seems to open and area again. Certainly no
> reflection on any individual or member of the
> forum and perhaps after all these years for the
> time being using what works for me. Just saw where
> one old fellow sold all his units and went back to
> 20 year old technology so perhaps a light went on
> with him also. In any case we are all individuals
> so whatever works...last but not least good
> hunting all whatever your strategies....

i believe depth wise,detectors from the 80's had/have sufficient
depth with the introduction of the v.l.f models. if you use a small coil in the trash,
you can still hunt effectively with them.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
January 22, 2014 08:33AM
Lawrenzo Wrote:
> Yes...every inch counts and unmasking is the
> kicker bring on the next new machine

LoL

I hear ya Lowboy

although - at this point it's hard to beat the XP machines (GMP/Deus) and top of the line Minelabs (Etrac/CTX and GPX 5000) or even the ATX and the T2/F75 LTD's

but

as you say = "bring em on"!!
January 22, 2014 10:11AM
At one time I didn't think it was necessary to change machines very often, but when I switched from the Tesoro Tejon to the Fisher F75 all that changed. The F75 opened up so many hunted out (or that is what I thought) sites.
January 22, 2014 12:18PM
What's this "need" crap?
Screw----- "need"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I busted my a## for 35 years so when I want something , that supersedes "need"! Especially when it's something involving an enjoyable activity. A new shotgun , a new flyrod , a new detector...............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 01:08PM by shoveler.
January 22, 2014 01:54PM
I think shoveler just said it all in a few lines...we only go around once and our stay is too short anyway..nice way to end a thread...
January 22, 2014 03:16PM
YES...We do "NEED" new units!!!----I busted my butt during my working years--and I AM gonna have more, more, more of my toys!!!---I hope my wife don't hear me sayin that, I might end up with a black eye! ha ha------Only problem is--after all these years & spending all this money on MANY detectors---I've got it down to what I consider the best three units (for me & my type/style of hunting), so anything new coming out has one tough act to follow (IMO).----But hey, I'm ALWAYS sucker--uh I mean "game" for the next "latest/greatest" detector since sliced bread---BRING 'EM ON!!----------Del
January 22, 2014 06:02PM
Hi,, I can only assume from reading Dan's post that he meant do we we really need a new machine to be successful?....I have been detecting for decades and have had the privilege of trying some of the newer machines that are available out there ....I always seem to come back to old reliable, maybe it's because we have been partners for nearly 30 years....I'm very fortunate because I really don't want or need a new machine to feed or fill the void inside of my inner cranium.... Perhaps that may change in the future if something new and spectacular came out on the market....But for now I'm perfectly content with using what I have available in my arsenal.......There's a fine line to be drawn between WANT,NEED and DESERVE a new machine.......Most of us out here DESERVE a new machine but how many of us need or want a new machine? Over the years I have fallen a victim of buying a new machine in hopes of tearing up an old site that I had previously done good with my old detector....Guess what? in my case I was no better off with my new fangled machine than I was with my old dinosaur....Sure the ergonomics were better and battery consumption was less thanks to micro technology....But I really did not increase my finds that much if any.....Location,experience and understanding the language of your machine is some of the keys to success & don't forget your physical condition plays a major role too.... In closing here's some funny food for thought....,, Who would end up with more finds at the end of the year???? A guy who bought a Minelab CTX-3030 or a guy who bought a Tesoro Compadre, then he turned around and bought old coins & relics with the extra $2350.00 he saved????....My money is on the guy running the Compadre..LoL..Don't forget guys and gals a new machine will probably be coming out very soon,,then the vicious cycle of wanting or getting a new machine will begin all over again.....Life is very short if you want or need a new detector then don't even think twice about it, just buy it and enjoy life....HH....JJ
January 23, 2014 12:37AM
Maybe some people need new units, but if you keep taking them to the same old worn out spots, you ain't going to find much more.

I live close to an old historic cowtown and plan to knock on some more doors of opportunity, as there are lots of old abandoned houses around there.

My old trusty analog White's and Tesoro metal detectors will do me just fine down to about 8 or 9 inches on a dime in my mild soil.

My old White's 5900 CB which is the lastest and last one in that series has found me a slew of silver and some gold rings.

My older Tesoro Bandido will excell at iron nail infested sights with it's fast response and quick recovery two filter design......

and will leave the 5900 CB in the dust when hunting in the nails because of it's faster ( four filter) sweep speed requirement, different types of detectors for different hunting sites.
January 23, 2014 04:59AM
I'm back to a good ol AT Pro. I think this is the 5th or 6th. Isn't that a record or something? Surely, in my life, I can break SOME kind of record. Oh well. I tried. Just not enough places to hunt anymore. The new AT Pro is still in the box with plastic on it. I use to have them out of the box and in the test garden 5 minutes after the brown truck pulled out of the driveway. Now......I just yawn. Mid age crisis. That......or I'm just not screwed that tight. lol..........hmmmmmmmm.
January 23, 2014 08:45AM
Don't know about new unit, Correct me if I'm wrong does not everyone dream of a bigger better unit(or just me)?.....and now for the rest of the story................&HH
January 23, 2014 04:23PM
rapidroy7 Wrote:
> Don't know about new unit, Correct me if I'm wrong
> does not everyone dream of a bigger better unit(or
> just me)?.....and now for the rest of the
> story................&HH

Hey Roy------better, ever better maybe but not bigger!-----I'm wishin that Etrac would loose some weight--actually be better balanced more so than the weight issue.-----I'll take ole King Etrac just the way he is though--he's quite a lad!!
January 23, 2014 06:04PM
I have located potential buyers for 4 for the 7 units I decided I could (hopefully) live without. Checks clearing and 3 more buyers and MAYBE that bigger, better unit will solve all my finding problems will be mine and I can start financing a backhoe.

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
January 23, 2014 06:12PM
Hello D&P_OR know what you mean ergonomics is key, recall swinging Cz for a hour arm/shoulder started acting up, grabbed T2 and was amazed at the feeling! Felt like a feather, now own the E-Trac also and it is a lug and the screen is hard to see at times, still enjoy them all> PU(personal units)! &HH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2014 06:27PM by rapidroy7.
January 26, 2014 07:12AM
I also have been up and down the ladder. I been at this hobby for over 30 years now. I have seen detectors grow a lot. Well, I had to grow with them. I went up to them very high dollar detectors.
Some were to heavy for me. I sold them Some had too many bells and whistels. I sold them.. Some played a lot of music that I could not keep up with. Sold them too. I wanted back some of the very basic beep and dig.. I could under stand what they were telling me. I knew how deep things were. Never wanted to up grade again. Think of the money I spent trying to find a better detector.. How many metal detecting trips could I have taken. Well I am happy with what I use. I want to enjoy what I do.. Sorry so long... KEN
January 26, 2014 04:04PM
I use 20 year old machines. I'm still learning them! I hunt sometimes with guys using the newer stuff. Sometimes they find more stuff on a hunt. Other times I smoke them. Until someone consistently beats me at this game with a newer machine I'm fine showing up with my relic. I rarely dig unless it is a good signal, but some iffy signals have really surprised me. If I start digging all those iffy signals I will smoke most guys with new machines because the new machine mentality is "how can I dig more good targets without digging junk." They usually ignore iffy targets.

That's my two cents.
January 26, 2014 06:17PM
Hey Arthur, what machine are you using?
January 27, 2014 05:24AM
I use the first generation minelab sovereign, whites's coinmaster 5000 series 3, teknetics mark 1, wilson relic & coin II, and fisher 1265. Pretty much covers all my bases! In farm field hunting I have yet to find a single machine that keeps up with the wilson...new or old. The mark 1 amazes me every time I take it out. It has found me a button down a foot with a hunting buddy watching. My coinmaster has no equal in rejecting iron that i have ever seen! My sovereign has found me 100's of old coins...many pre-1900...almost all in parks! My Fisher is new to me but it has some amazing depth but will take many many hunts to learn how to ignore iron with it.
January 27, 2014 03:08PM
Ken Ward, curious, what machine did you go back to?
January 29, 2014 11:47PM
I think that if your 1st choice in buying a detector fits most, if not all of your detecting needs, and you take the time to thoroughly learn how to use it, then you probably won’t need a new detector for quite a while.

But if you poorly choose your 1st detector, then you’ll definitely need a 2nd, 3rd, etc.

I think the 1st step should be taking the time to find the right detector for you and your needs. Thoroughly reading thru downloadable detector manuals, checking out forums to see what others think of that particular detector, and view Youtube videos of that detector in use.
Perhaps if you could afford to have an arsenal of detectors at your disposal, a lot of research would not be necessary. But if you’re trying to find a suitable detector that fits your bill (and bank account), thorough research can make a lot of difference.

Some people are very fortunate in purchasing a detector that suits most of their needs, and taking the time to learn how to detect desired targets with it is their only obstacle.

But what if you’re not one of the fortunate ones? Those newer units can look pretty good.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
February 10, 2014 07:52AM
No, not really.

Before I continue...I will say that I have fallen prey and went to the F75 SE in the last year...

BUT...and a BIG BUT...

Year before was using a F75 and found a US buckle at 18"...measured.

Broke out my trusty machine of 15 years the very next hunt...a Nautilus DMC IIB. Lo and behold...my old technology, heavy, dodo bird big box no display machine...found another US belt buckle in same field at 24"!

No, we don't need new units...I will challenge anyone with my old mid 90's Nautilus and will smoke them in all but the hottest of soils...TDI only soils. I have dug items deeper than my arms length with that machine and would continue to do so for many years to come. But, as I get older I need sleeker and more ergonomic machines. Machines that won't physically beat me up. Do we need new units...no, we need new designs, more orthopedic friendly designs. Detector depth is maxed...processing speed isn't but even that's relative to patience and hunting style.

Just my 0.02...