Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

library run

Posted by John 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
library run
February 10, 2014 02:48PM
yes, seems weather is always sour when I get a day off. I did go out for a bit yesterday. Was suppose to warm some,no rain. Well they missed the call both ways,lol. Today rain and cold, tomorrow freezing rain/snow.
Im gonna get my note book and head to the library a bit later.
Any of you guys do this? What sort of things are you looking for?? Old newpaper articles,diaries??? Im gona search for old maps and building locations,as far back as I can get. May end up at the Parish/County courthouse.
This has been a really crazy winter in my area,no let up. A couple days warm,maybe twice, since Christmas. We usually have many warmer days interupted by cold/rain. Down here it will warm for 3 or 4 days, rain, turn cold for 3 or 4 days (somtimes not that many) then repeat.
I think after this front is done,its gonna warm a bit.
My Grandpa, lived to be 99, passed away in 1989,was a farmer, told us you just about bet that the last days in February would be nice.
AS you can tell Im a bit bored. I dont know how you guys up North take it. I gotta get out,lol.
HH,
John
Re: library run
February 10, 2014 03:32PM
John
I like researching old newspapers and read anything about the county that I'am interested in. Also get copies of all maps. I like to get info on the railroad system that ran through the county. Mark on maps where the depots were located and so on. Railroads and military movements go hand and hand.

Well it is 9 degrees out here in SE Ohio with 7 inches of snow still on the ground and more coming this weekend. I think it will be awhile before I can get out and dig again.
GL
HH
Corey
Re: library run
February 10, 2014 03:55PM
Get to know the librarian he or she can usually provide good info and steer you in right direction...one club member was alerted to old maps which proved to be invaluable. Small libraries always intrigued me and usually got more hands on help. In any case helps with cabin fever and more than one fellow has found invaluable info and prospective hunting areas going this route...