Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Iron Audio feature on AT-Pro and Gold?

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Iron Audio feature on AT-Pro and Gold?
February 13, 2014 01:18AM
I have been hunting a long time with these two machines and was wanting to ask a question. Do you guys run iron audio on all the time while your hunting? I do and have heard most don't. I feel like it gives me an edge when hunting thick iron and it also alerts me when hunting areas where targets are few and far between that there may be something in the area and I start to concentrate on that area. The iron audio feature is what made me fall in love with these machines.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2014 01:34AM by 88junior.
Re: Iron Audio feature on AT-Pro and Gold?
February 13, 2014 01:29AM
I hunt with it "off"

I don't want to hear the iron I have disc'ed out (like when you set your tone break on say 25)

I don't want to hear my machine nulling/grunting on that iron/number and below

I only want to hear any/every thing above that number

I don't want/need a 3rd element added to the equation and have to listen even harder and discern/decipher even more information
February 13, 2014 02:15AM
See if this Video I did on my deck helps you make a decision Morgan..

[www.youtube.com]

Keith
February 13, 2014 02:21AM
I figure there's not many people that run theirs this way, actually once you get used to hearing the iron it's not to annoying.
February 13, 2014 02:35AM
Keith I guess us Georgia boys are crazy when it comes to hunting thick iron and using the iron audio feature on to unmask targets in thick iron. I couldn't imagine not using it all the time in the areas I hunt cause their so full of iron.
February 13, 2014 02:43AM
I kep it on it would be nice to add iron audio but yeah I found some stuff my friend lost with my on

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
February 13, 2014 02:50AM
Lowboy I feel like I am not getting 100% of what this machine has to offer with it off.
February 13, 2014 03:41AM
I try to,but it gives me a headache! I do like to hear the iron, but in my soil and the sites,its a constant barrage, the volume,or maybe the frequency of it is to loud,drives me nuts. I would LOVE it if there was a volume control for it,like the Vista Gold.
February 13, 2014 05:21AM
Yea it would be nice if you could lower the iron audio volume down a little lower than the mid and high tones. I have ran mine so long it don't even bother me anymore it's like my ears and brain has learned to cancel it out.
February 13, 2014 05:22AM
Hi,,,You need to focus and become one with your machine....When you can snatch this zinc penny from my hand, you are ready my grasshopper..LoL..Your brain is like a computer processor, some people have a slower processor like an old IBM-386 ...Then there is a select few that have the faster Intel Core 3.5GHz processors..LoL.....Seriously speaking now, let the ground speak to you and dictate the settings you will be using on that particular area....Every piece of ground is different some places you will benefit by the employing the iron audio (locating)....I know manual says turn it off when you can't take it no more or your ears start bleeding..LoL....JJ
February 13, 2014 05:29AM
deathray Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I try to,but it gives me a headache! I do like to
> hear the iron, but in my soil and the sites,its a
> constant barrage, the volume,or maybe the
> frequency of it is to loud,drives me nuts. I would
> LOVE it if there was a volume control for it,like
> the Vista Gold.

That's the same issue I have Ray -- the AT's are the only machine I don't like to hear it all on so I keep it off most all of the time.

It's wayyyyyy too harsh for my ears with the iron audio on for any length of time (it's something to do with the tone/freq. it runs at)

if they had a volume control for the iron - I would have it on constantly because I run wide open with all of my other machines and actually LIKE to.
February 13, 2014 01:47PM
Exact same here Wayne.
February 13, 2014 03:05PM
I always ran mine on. For me, it was the best feature of the machine. It seems like I read(or watched a video) and Garrett said not to, but it worked so well for me I didnt care....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2014 03:06PM by bigboar.
February 13, 2014 03:43PM
Count me in as one who runs with IA on all the time winking smiley To be up-front, the gold is not my main unit. I use my Safari 95% of the time, as most of my spots have minimal iron, and of what there is, it's fairly spread out. I use the safari for depth. However...

In heavy thickets of iron, I actually enjoy running the gold in IA. Hard on the ears? For sure, but, the ears do get used to it, at least mine have. The iron audio feature is what sold me on the machine. And it's UNBELIEVABLE! Leaving IA on in heavy iron spots, I've pulled out quite a few shields, buffs, and injuns, that my Safari missed due to the iron.

I just swing real slow & listen for any signal not an iron grunt. Then I investigate. It's deadly accurate in sniffing out ferrous from non-ferrous in thick iron. It's certainly not a depth monster in my ground, but, that's not what I got it for, as when hunting in iron depth isn't the primary concern. The VDI gives a pretty accurate window on good objects intermingled with iron, but, the larger the larger and/or deeper pieces of iron due fool me quite often, as they sound so good.

I think it comes down to personal taste. While I did read somewhere that running with IA on all the time could be problematic, I've never had one iota of an issue myself.

P.S. - Watch Bill Ladd's videos of him using the gold. He runs with the IA on all the time & does quite well at his spots.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2014 03:45PM by njnydigger.
February 13, 2014 05:23PM
Keiths video shows what iron audio does for items that are masked it definetly helps at unmasking targets. I am hoping to purchase the NEL sharp 5" coil for my AT-Gold to see if it helps unmask a few more targets that my 5x8" coil couldn't.