Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ground Balance On A Fisher CZ-3D

Posted by jimmyjiver 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ground Balance On A Fisher CZ-3D
February 12, 2010 12:36AM
Hi All,, Does the ground balance have any effect on the Fisher CZ-3D when hunting in discriminate mode or is this function only for properly setting up the all metal pinpoint mode etc.....Thanks....JJ
Re: Ground Balance On A Fisher CZ-3D
February 12, 2010 01:27AM
The GB needs to be set correctly in order for discriminate mode to run stable and as deep as possible without falsing.

One thing I realized early on is that when I GB my CZ6a, using the parameters of sensitivity at 10, volume at 10, in autotune, that once I want to hunt in discriminate mode, I have to turn the sensitivity down to 4 or 5. If you keep the sensitivity at 10, the unit will false and is way too hot. And the good thing about the CZ's is that if you lower the sensitivity, you don't have to GB again. But, if the unit starts acting up a bit, you should GB again since the ground may have changed.

My 6a can run at higher sensitivity settings, but you really have to slow the sweep speed down. They are hot machines and upping to 6 and higher does have the unit false some.

Also, from reading this forum and listening to Tom (and then doing additional testing) that my 6a's won't change much depth wise going from 5.5-6 in sensitivity to 9 or 10. The only difference is the target tone is louder...but depth is pretty much the same. BUT..the unit starts to get antsy. I also learned that there is a BIG depth difference on my machine when going from sensitivity 2 or 3 to 4.5 and higher.

Sorry to ramble, but yes I believe the GB is important and critical for both modes. Last thing...GB using the bobbing method. You can dial in much better and set it offset a little positive or negative depending on ground conditions if need be.
February 12, 2010 02:06AM
Hi, Thanks for the reply I know that ground balance is important in both modes. I probably should of asked is the ground balance control functional in the discrimination mode. I know it works in the all metal pinpoint mode...I have a Fisher 1270 and it also has an external ground balance control but it has no effect on the discrimination mode...There is however an internal ground balance potentiometer which controls the ground balance in the discrimination mode.....Thanks....JJ
February 12, 2010 02:14AM
You SET the ground bal in the all-metal mode......THEN switch over to the ID mode. YES.....it matters very much in the ID mode (assuming your dirt is mineralized).
February 12, 2010 03:08AM
Hi, I thank you all for your answers........Thanks.....JJ
August 16, 2013 07:59AM
My beach seems not all that mineralized, can't get the unit to properly balance.
Same tones bobbing up and down when going through the numbers from 10-0.

I've hunted with it succesfully at pre-set mark 5.

But the manual states, if proper ground balance can not be obtained, leave it at 10??

Will this hurt depth much?
Have been hitting some respectfull depths.

HH
Johnb
August 16, 2013 04:25PM
In many cases.......... yes. (Trial & Error recommended testing).
August 16, 2013 09:56PM
Fiddling will commence.

HH
Johnb
August 16, 2013 11:46PM
Watch this Video I made a while back on the CZ3d wiht the effects ground bal has on the unit in disc mode.....[www.youtube.com]

Hope it answers our question the info is towards the middle and end of the video..

Keith
August 17, 2013 02:55PM
If we can understand ground balance as soil discrimination,.... what end of the range is max soil discrimination??

0..... or...... 10

And when confronted with non-mineralized dirt, at what end would we prefer to set soil discrimination.

If I understand the video correctly, 5 and up is for mild, low mineralization.
5 and down is for more, heavy mineralization.

HH
Johnb
August 17, 2013 07:28PM
scoopjohnb
If I understand the video correctly, 5 and up is for mild, low mineralization. 5 and down is for more, heavy mineralization.

No! Numbers indicate the type of mineralization (iron:"magnetic"<-->salt:"conductive" ), not the degree.
August 17, 2013 08:17PM
Aha !

HH
Johnb
August 18, 2013 02:11AM
I have seen some Ground bal actually remove small iron...I know a Musketeer will do this to a slight degree...

It does not help unmasking or anythign of the such but that one has a lot of range ...

Keith