Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Minelab Safari user

Posted by Flintstone 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Minelab Safari user
April 27, 2014 03:46PM
Hi All, is anyone here use a Safari detector? I am getting one and need to know what is the best small coil to get for trash parks? It comes with the 11" coil, but i need a small coil. I use the 6x8 SEF coil on my MXT and it dose very good,but have never used a Minelab befor. My ground is not very bad, just alot of trash in some of the parks i hunt. I though i would give a littls newer detector a try. Dose anyone use one ? are they as good as they say? I guss i will find out, any help would be nice, thanks Flintstone
Re: Minelab Safari user
April 27, 2014 04:12PM
Flint...I have a Safari. It's an awesome detector, and even though it does not have all the bells and whistles of the E-Trac or CTX, it can pretty much hold it's own depth wise and ID wise (although it only has the single digit ID number...but hunt via audio with this unit since that is it's forte in my opinion). Recovery speed is a tad slower though. Much simpler to use. Don't run it in auto sensitivity, you will lose depth. It is a very stable unit, so run in manual and as high as you can go without it falsing ( which may be pretty high if your soil is mild).

As far as coils go, I have a Sunray X-8 on mine that I never take off. I have the Pro Coil too, but the only time I use that on the Safari is when I hunt the wet, salt water and. I had a Sunray X-5 for it too, which is a great coil as well (not sure how small of a coil you want to use).

I feel the X-8 is a great all around coil for the Safari. You will probably have similar results with an SEF 8x6. I like the round DD's Sunray puts out.

The smaller X-5 is a solid coil, so it's great for brushy areas where no vines/weeds can get hung up on it. If you are hunting trashy parks with the Safari, the X-5 may be a better choice. Just make sure you swing a bit slower and allow the Safari to react. The audio reacts/changes quicker than the ID when in trashier areas.

If you hear that sweet high pitched sound of silver, it will stop you in your tracks. I think the Safari has a higher, sweeter sound on silver than the E-Trac or CTX ( which I have).
April 27, 2014 11:09PM
Everything Rover said is spot on 100%!!! The Safari actually has the widest range of tones of all the Minelabs...which is why it's so deadly. I'm mainly an old coin hunter. As Rover said, when you hear that silver tone, and then see the target is deep on the depth gauge, it's either silver, or a wheat.

I run mine in all metal almost exclusively. I HIGHLY recommend that if your spots aren't too trashy. One thing I can't do however...

I cannot seem to run in manual sensitivity...even if I lower it to 14 or 15. Too many beeps, blips & blops for my taste. Our ground is pretty mineralized here in NJ, so, lots of falses in manual, auto smooths it out for me. I'm sure I lose some depth, but, I'm not sure how much, as I'm routinely pulling out deep coins upwards of 10" or 11". Bottom line...

You will NOT go wrong with that Safari winking smiley Just like Rover said, about the same depth as the big dogs, however, it IS slow, so, easy does it when hunting...don't rush. Also...

I like hunting in high trash density. I like the tones better, and it speed the reaction time up, but, you might get a bit more depth using low trash density...if your ground allows it.

Joe
April 28, 2014 01:33AM
Imagine many do well with a Safari but it doesn't have the abilities of the Explorer series and well just as darn heavy.
Many say its just an user friendly Explorer series but many that have learned the Explorer series well and used both won't agree.
Certainly not knocking your unit and good luck with it as again many do well with them without a long learning period..
As far as coils go can't help you as I am basically a stock coil kind of guy no matter what unit I use...
April 28, 2014 02:18AM
Thanks all, I will start watching for a 5X or 8X coil. All the detectors that i have used are about 15 years old and i though something newer might just help out. I realy thank you for your help, and will keep you informed of how i do. Thanks again Flintstone
April 29, 2014 12:34AM
Had a Safari for 3 yrs and used both the 6x8 and the 6". It would depend on how much trash and iron you hunt in. The 8 will cover more ground and is deeper even in the mineralized soil here in NC gold country. I have found that the NEL 5x9 is the way to go though. Narrow to separate but long to give it some depth. I moved up to the ET just because the Safari just nulled out so bad in some yards that had been fertilized over the years. The iron that is in it just would shut it down. Parks, most fields and yards are not a problem and found a lot of silver. HH JR