Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Carl Moreland

Posted by lytle78 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Carl Moreland
May 24, 2014 02:44PM
Carl Moreland has left his position as Engineering Division Manager at Whites Elecrtonics and is now Engineering Manager at First Texas Products. This according to Carl's Linkedin page -

[www.linkedin.com]

Carl is very experienced in PI detector design, both from his time at Whites and from his role as owner of the Geotech Forum.

First Texas makes a big chunk of their sales in the goldfields of the developing world. Their gold detectors are all VLF's. - you would think a good PI gold detector would be something they would want to have.
Re: Carl Moreland
May 24, 2014 06:06PM
Interesting...

Did anyone leave First Texas?

or are they adding to ?

Thanks for the info...

Keith
May 24, 2014 06:40PM
I have no idea about changes at FT, but Dave Johnson has written openly about succession planning due to his ongoing struggle with ALS (Lou Gherig's disease). Last time I saw, Dave,s title was Chief Engineer. On Carl's linkedin page he gives his new title as Engineering Manager. Impossible to say what that means about who does what.

In any event, Dave and Carl are among the handful of folks around the world who design and produce the toys/tools we are all so fascinated by. I wish all of them success.
May 24, 2014 07:48PM
I alwasy wondered what came of Dimitar...

He created the Coinstrike ,,Goldstrike,,Excel,,Edge..

I think when he got to the Edge he was getting somewhere in design...His first task was to build the Coinstrike and he did it as a first project...I dont think he had ever designed a detector before...

He seemed really excited to build detectors I believe he even went out of with the field testers to take note's in the field...

Keith
May 25, 2014 11:14AM
I've been waiting to see how long it would take for this data to show up on this specific forum.

No one is leaving Fisher.

Yes...... Dimitar knew nothing about detectors when Fisher Research Laboratory (Roger Cimino) brought him on-board. And Dimitar was never given any blueprints of any existing detector platform........... so as to have Dimitar start with 'new' mindset.

Carl is a highly welcomed asset ..... to whom ever corporation acquires his skillset/mindset/experience.
((( And Carl is well aware of 10uS ..... or less..... pulse delay........... for those inquisitive/inquiring minds )))
May 25, 2014 08:16PM
I remember years ago....it would have to be the 90's when one of whites engineers went by the nickname rcsnake and had a irc channel I think called #treasure...anyone here remember that? I forget the real whites engineers name who had the nickname, but I would get insight into things every once and awhile.....man how time passes.
May 25, 2014 09:27PM
hmmmmm.....maybe fisher will give him free reign to build a nice sub 10us waterproof pi . wouldnt all of erics patents and data still be property of whites???? very exciting to have dave and carl working together!

chuck.
May 25, 2014 11:14PM
For all those interested Carl designed the Hammerhead PI on Geotech

[www.geotech1.com]

[www.geotech1.com]

The Hammerhead is still going strong and popular among home brew builders.
George Overton, Carl's co-author of Inside the Metal Detector redesigned it into the Crossbow 22us pulse delay, mainly for relics and hoard hunting.
The Mirage I build went the other way towards small and tiny gold 10us delay and pulse width with a 7" search coil that works
great as a coin hunter as well..............Refined a bit more now, so you can switch the "pulse width" from 10us to 30us with a pulse delay about 13us.
makes it better for finding copper, silver and brass with at least a 1-3" depth increase and retains the depth of small thin gold rings.
Testament of what can be done with Carl's Hammerhead design.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
May 26, 2014 12:14AM
I suspect that the US market for PI gold detectors is pretty limited. The ML GPX-5000 has the top end sewed up and there is already the Whites TDI, the infiniun and now the ATX out there. A $1000 light weight detector which could do everything that the Garrett ATX does would sell well enough, but the total sales in North America would be quite limited.

It's not clear that African gold seekers are clamoring for a PI detector at that price point either. Whites is currently dumping their simplified TDI SL via Jimmy Sierra, calling it the SPP. This is after it's failure to sell into the African market. Australia is ML's home turf plus the whole amateur prospecting scene there seems to be cooling off due to lack of fresh finds and loss of access.

That leaves beach detecting - and the Whites DF PI is well established if anyone wants a PI for the beach.

For the PI detector to take off, true discrimination at depth has to be developed. So far no one has managed it. Whites had a recent patent approval for a dual mode detector of some sort, but as they used to say in Ancient Rome "There's many a slip between the cup and the lip".

I wish them all the best of luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 12:16AM by lytle78.
May 26, 2014 12:42AM
One of the interesting and in fact impressive things about metal detector engineering in United States has been that for very long time now nobody in the business has spent much time badmouthing anybody else in business.

There are incredibly few serious metal detector engineers in the world. If you then limit it to the United States the list gets even smaller and the average age goes much higher.

Whatever motivated Carl to move from whites to first Texas I'm quite sure it won't play out in the form of people running off their mouths about how this and that and the other happened here or there and resulted in this and that. Happily Twitter and chat on the web don't involve very much about metal detecting and I'm happy if it stays that way.

There's probably a dozen or so people that – if they were captured by aliens – would result in all progress in this field being stopped. It's a funny business.
May 27, 2014 11:59AM
It appears 1st Texas is acquiring the dream team in development and sales. They will most likely come to the front very soon.
May 27, 2014 01:27PM
Think about why Carl was hired at Whites, then dwell on why they would need that expertise at 1st Texas at this time.....

HH
Mike
May 27, 2014 03:23PM
The market in Africa is huge right now and our market is getting a bit better but for us in Calif it's getting harder and harder to find places. Everything is fenced and posted even empty lots. Parks are still open but the trash is everywhere. So maybe they will take it to the next step even though I think Fisher has some new ideas to hit the market at some point.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!