Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

When did First Texas start making new style 5"DD

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
When did First Texas start making new style 5"DD
June 27, 2014 12:17AM
I saw a new style online Today.....

Fins on the sides of the ears like on the Biaxial....

I noticed a couple of weeks ago there was a new coil cover for what was being called finned ear 5" coils guess this is one of the finned ears....

wonder if they are electrically different also...like maybe Tighter????...

Ive noticed lately that a coupld of the FT style coils seem to run BETTER...

Keith
Re: When did First Texas start making new style 5"DD
June 27, 2014 03:35AM
Keith, it looks like FT is upgrading and making a lot of changes everywhere.
June 27, 2014 05:40AM
Just bought one for my goldbug, indeed it has the same style as the biaxial.
Don't know if it runs better ir not,... land is mostly planted, parks are like concrete "need rain",.... and been seafishing in my spare time this last month or so.

Will do a little report when I finally get out.

HH
Johnb
June 27, 2014 09:25AM
The old ones were vacuum-formed, this new one looks to be injection moulded. Moulding would allow more precision, possibly greater rigidity, as there is the opportunity to introduce stiffening ribs, and vary the wall thicknesses.
It is probably simply economics - FT sell more of this size coil nowadays, and they can justify the investment (design costs/tooling expense).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2014 09:35AM by Pimento.
June 27, 2014 06:15PM
Hey John is the new design still lightweight..in other words is it epoxied filled or is it foam filled..

I have actually alway's questioned the type coils like the older 5" DD and even alot of other manufactuers that use/used that design as far as waterproof durability.. the tops of the ears when drilled for rod bolt hole exposes the inner foam that seems to break down over time and I worry about water intrusion...

Makes sense Pimento..

Thank's for the insight.I like seeing companys modernize/improve even the smallest things..I hope they address the knobs on the G2/Omega/F75/T2..some sort of bushing behind the knob or add a rubber washer or??? to keep dirt and moisture from getting in behind the knobs..the circuit board is right there..I have fixed mine to stop it but I should not have to....

Keith
June 27, 2014 07:14PM
It is really lightweight for sure!
Gues foam filled, but I'm not going to take it appart to make sure :-)

Ordered the coil when I bought the goldbug straight away, I like my small coils.
Took an awfull long time to get here!!

HH
Johnb
June 27, 2014 09:49PM
Keith I don't know if the pic you posted is the one you noticed the changes to the ears with, if it is you've got a hell of a set of eyes! LOL I could barely see it with my glasses on.
July 01, 2014 12:44AM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The old ones were vacuum-formed, this new one
> looks to be injection moulded. Moulding would
> allow more precision, possibly greater rigidity,
> as there is the opportunity to introduce
> stiffening ribs, and vary the wall thicknesses.
> It is probably simply economics - FT sell more of
> this size coil nowadays, and they can justify the
> investment (design costs/tooling expense).

Vacuum forming is pretty tight in tolerances now a days. Depends on gauge and design but vacuum forming can and is just as regid as injection but tooling cost is way cheaper. I would say they can injection mould the parts faster in runtime compared to thermoforming and this will offset the cost of injection tooling costs, compared to thermorming. Injection tooling I would say is about 5 times the cost of thermoforming tooling.
Corey