Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

151 years ago today in Ohio

Posted by docbars 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
151 years ago today in Ohio
July 22, 2014 11:30PM
At 9:00 p.m. Gen Morgan and his men were riding through the Nelson Farms(P.J.,JAS,W, and JW)in Muskingum county. They stopped to rest at the two story log cabin. His group of 600 ragged troopers gathered about the Weavers farm buildings and house.Morgan dismounted and walking over to where the Weavers stood and told them they were spending the night. His men camped the night in the surrounding orchard using the wooden fence rails to build fires so they could cook. Mrs. Weaver stood up all night night cooking griddle cakes and biscuits for the men..........................

This taken out of the book "The longest Raid"
Iam currently trying to locate this farm as it is only 30 minutes at the most from me. I can just see all the possible relics laying in an old orchard. Would be a blast to dig up some relics that have some much history attached to them.
Corey
Re: 151 years ago today in Ohio
July 23, 2014 12:35AM
I hunted the fields where Morgan was captured next to the Ohio River. The field I hunted had been hunted by a college who had organized over 60 metal detectorists and they lined up side by side and hunted the whole field, turned around and came back. (This is all word of mouth from Doc who lived in a modular home next to the field). Doc also invented and sold dowsing rods way back in the day. He actually demonstrated them to me and they seem to work.

The day Morgans Raiders were captured by the Union was extremely hot. The union soldiers let the confederates cool off in the river, which I think was nice of them.

Most people in that area were still related to each other. I had permission from the owners to hunt. And the owners had to have been in their 80's so I am sure they have passed away. Doc was old as well and not in the best of health.

Morgan had some artillery pieces that he ditched somewhere. There is no documentation that the Union got hold of them. (None that I or a few friends ever found). If he ditched them they are still out there and worth a pretty penny. If you do some research you can figure out within a few miles where the likely spot was.

Anyway just rambling about the good ol days...
Re: 151 years ago today in Ohio
July 23, 2014 01:48AM
Hungarian:
I didnt know you were from the Buckeye state. Thanks for the info. From what I have researched, once he got into the hills in Ohio he ditch several pieces of artillery.The narrow wooded roads and hollers just slowed them down. The union Calvery was to busy chasing them down to worry about attillery pieces.

I would also like to locate some of the burned down bridges. I think hunting around these could yield some interesty finds

I found a CSA spur in one general area this past winter. Not to far from my place.
If ya dont mind I will PM ya about a few things
Corey