Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

3rd “baby” gold ring

Posted by Digs_alot 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
3rd “baby” gold ring
August 04, 2014 11:26PM
Got in 3 days of detecting, and pulled out a tiny gold ring on the 1st day. The rest was downhill.

On the 1st day, went to the beach during the slight negative tide. Using the CTX 11” coil, searched the area that produced a couple of silver coins the last time around. Got a very low conductive signal out in the low tide zone. Expected another shallow piece of foil or shallow corroded piece of an aluminum can. Dug down only around 5”, but the target was still in the hole. Uh oh. Now expected a stainless steel nut or washer, or possibly a small gold ring. Dug down another 4 to 5 inches, and the submersible pinpointer got a signal below the bottom of the hole. Dug some more and the signal disappeared. Then I saw the gold rim at the top of the pile. What a nice feeling. Hunted for old silver coins and a tiny gold ring pops up instead.

The 2nd day, went for silver coins at a park that I extensively hunted in the past, and pulled out 5 wheat pennies and a buffalo nickel. Also got a possible Native American arrowhead. It had a conductivity similar to a copper penny.

No luck on the 3rd day.

Here’s a photo of the 14k “baby” gold ring (in the center) and the previous “baby” ring finds. All 3 were from the same beach. The two on the right were around 50m apart (and a couple of years), while the one on the left was several hundred meters away in a rocky area.

Air-tested with:
11 coil
Auto-sensitivity = 16
Noise Cancel #11
ID = inner diameter (in millimeters)
Rings air-tested with ring parallel to coil, unless otherwise noted

carat ID   grams depth  FE-CO  max depth description
14k   13.5  .97   4”    12-01    5.5”    ring parallel to coil
                  1”    12-01    2.5”    ring face parallel to coil

Here’s a photo of the gold ring before and after cleaning. As you can see from the top view, I almost broke the ring while digging.
Here also is the buffalo nickel (1920) and wheat pennies.

Here’s some of the other finds. At the center right might be a Native American arrowhead.

Here’s a nickel-based spoon and a large “V” earring.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil
Re: 3rd “baby” gold ring
August 05, 2014 06:47PM
Nice tri-fecta!!

congrats..

Must be a hot ring design right now? maybe sold close by..

I like the Jax...CTX likes that little stuff, like no other FBS before...

Keith
August 05, 2014 10:20PM
Thanks.

I don’t know who would wear a “baby” ring, or if it’s a local affair, but someone is losing them here.

E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
August 06, 2014 02:13AM
My takeaway on small or thin gold rings -- 12Fe 01Co

That's foil, wrappers, and trash ... where the rings hide.
August 06, 2014 10:12PM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My takeaway on small or thin gold rings -- 12Fe
> 01Co
>
> That's foil, wrappers, and trash ... where the
> rings hide.

Ocean tides usually does a good job of sorting denser objects from lightweight trash out in the tidal zone. The deep targets are usually more dense, except in filled-in locations.
At trash filled parks, gold jewelry and aluminum pieces of trash can be at a variety of depths, depending when they were lost.

Small gold rings, small gold necklace pendants, gold charms, not-too-thin gold chains, small broken gold ring faces, etc., usually have the very low conductive values of 01 to 04. The ferrous value can vary a lot, depending on the depth. Much of the gold jewelry that is near or at maximum detection depth out in the wet sand areas where I hunt usually has a ferrous value in the iron range. Fortunately for me, previous detectorists discriminate out such targets.

August 07, 2014 02:48AM
Very nice.
August 07, 2014 10:31PM
Nice "digs" Digs!

Gotta love finding that gold that other disc out!