Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Has anyone used a DFX

Posted by Flintstone 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Has anyone used a DFX
August 20, 2014 03:03PM
Hi all, I just traded for a nice DFX, and everyone said it was to hard to used. Is it that hard or they just don,t give it time. I have used a MXT for years, and know the VDIs # so i think that will make it easer. Any help please. Flintstone
Re: Has anyone used a DFX
August 20, 2014 03:32PM
I had one sold it got another one a few years later sold it. Not deep I am no longer a whites fan. I would look at the Fisher F75 or the G2 or go all the way and get a Deus. And I love my At Gold

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
August 20, 2014 04:19PM
Flint....it's a good unit. Don't get too crazy with all the settings. There are basically just a few to get most out of the unit. The AC and DC sensitivity, Preamp gain, frequency, sweep speed, recovery speed, filters ( these 3 affect the recovery speed of the unit) and bottle cap reject/accept ( too much reject can cause some depth loss). There are a lot of other adjustments/features you can mess with to customize sound, notching, etc.

Got to try out those combos I mentioned first to get an idea how the DFX will react to the conditions you are hunting in. Read the manual to get an idea what these settings accomplish. Sometimes the single frequency mode will do better in some land conditions (ie, 3 kHz for silver hunting, 15kHz for tot lot jewelry hunting), dual frequency in wet, salt sand, and correlate as opposed to best data when hunting in higher iron areas.

The preset programs are designed to be mellow...that is, they are very stable and don't go very deep.

One thing you should do if you are going to copy one of the preset programs into a new one and change some settings, is to turn off the icons...they are useless to us seasoned hunters and it sucks up processing speed.

Cool thing is there are a lot of coil options for the unit, it's pretty well balanced and can find the goodies.

I have one and still like using it, even though I have 12 other units to boot !
August 20, 2014 07:43PM
Thanks tr 61, I will start with the preset and go from there. I use a MXT and have about all the coils already. I will try and keep you updated. Thanks Flintstone
August 20, 2014 10:38PM
Flint...you are then ahead of the game if you have all the coils for the MXT, as they are interchangeable.

I am in the same boat...got an MXT Pro and DFX with 4 coils to use on them.
August 20, 2014 11:10PM
Good machine that has a lot of depth. Just take your time as therover61 said.

I used one this past spring in some fields. It really did a great job. Mixmode was my favorite.
GL
HH
Corey
August 21, 2014 12:56AM
Thanks all, I know it won,t be ease, but i think if i just take my time and add a little at a time, i will be ok. I have people say that it will get 12" on a quarter if it is set right. Other say that it won,t get 7". My ground is mild so i turn it up.
August 21, 2014 04:09PM
I've always liked the DFX. There was a reason it was Whites Flagship detector for so many years. I've had 4 or 5 of them, sell them when I get the itch to try something else then usually pick up another one later on. Right now you can get a good used one around $400 dollars.

Besides being good performers in most dirt, it will also teach you alot about how metal detectors work. All those things you get to adjust on the DFX are fixed in place on many of the other makes and models.

Best advice I could give you would be to make sure tracking is turned off. Ground balance like you would any other unit, then confirm it with your pinpoint mode, and make sure it is locked in place. Amazing what a proper, locked in place, ground balance does to the DFX.

HH
Mike
August 21, 2014 08:05PM
Thanks Mike, I always locked it on my MXT. Here the ground don,t chang much. Thanks all, Flintstone