Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Etrac and GBP Vs Deus

Posted by fsdigital12 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Etrac and GBP Vs Deus
September 05, 2014 06:07PM
Ok here goes. Everyone in the past I'd say 6 months has been jumping on the DEUS wagon....I've seen people list more machines in the classifieds then I've ever seen...and speculation is they're going into the Deus.

I'm an old coin hunter....not into relics, not even into buttons...unless it's a GW LOL.......and I hate digging iron LOL. I'm a self admited cherry picker...and I know, it's a very bad habit. I'm after a primary target.. 1600s-1900s coins. I don't get to the beach and I don't hunt parks...hardly ever....mostly woods and an occasional farm field.

I have a Etrac and a Gold Bug Pro. Will a Deus replace the both of these...research shows "It depends".

Certainly the Deus will in heavy iron vs the E-trac...however the GBP is no slouch in iron...will a Deus outhunt a GBP.....from what I've seen on the forums....there's a great chance it will.

Will a Deus outhunt an Etrac......that's more of a "it depends" answer.

What I'm doing now is...first hunt with Etrac ......then when I get a nulled area, pull out the GBP.......then rehunt with the Etrac to get the deeper signals.....that the 19hz can't reach.

For me, the Etrac is turn on and go.....My worry is the Deus is far from it. Sure you could use "Basic 1" and be fine.....but I'm worried I'll always be second guessing my settings..."should I be in 12 Khz, or what about 18...4khz....it's the old, "what did I miss because I was in the wrong setting/mode etc". I suppose the same could be said abotu the etrac...TTF vs Multi etc. But I'm more confident in the Etrac not being as....finicky with settings...or am I wrong...will it not matter that much with the Deus........?
Re: Etrac and GBP Vs Deus
September 06, 2014 04:02AM
The Deus is easy to program and understand and it is so light and the control box is so future tech. And it can be updated and has and will for the future. The others can't do that. The French like being in the USA market so look for some changes just for our type of hunting. The only way to see what the deus can do is get one compair it to what you have face to face test and then keep the best machines. You can pair-up the coils so you would always have the deus and your main and your backup detector.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
September 06, 2014 05:47AM
Allthough the mighty Deus is upon us,... and we mere mortals using ordinary detectors are feeling a little more worse off.

Well it has it's drawbacks,.... not meant in a negative way. But it still is a single frequency VLF.
I've seen an E-trac do wonderfull things due to multi frequency tech and it's continuos groudn tracking.

A fine example was a small platinum crucifix about the size of a pinky nail, the E-trac picked up ever so slightly.
Couldn't get a signal on the Deus, even with a disc of 0.
This was on a 2.0 version, I lost interest in the 3.2 version.
Couldn't really ground balance the Deus because my ground was littered with small flecks of rust, continuos growling from the Deus.

The GB Pro is a single frequency VLF running 19 kHz, the deus has a super tight coil running at 18 kHz.
I believe the GB Pro doesn't have such a tight coil, but I guesstimate it handles minerals a little better than the Deus in solid ground.
The GB Pro doesn't like airy stuff though, I couldn't get any decent depth at the beach. But was digging supprisingly deep targets in a local park.

That is where the Deus comes to it's own, digging signals on lumpy ground, mixed in between iron and nails.
But as a NON user, I'm just giving my views,.... not writing a book about it!!

Anyway,... these days I'm not jumping on the latest and greatest band wagon any more. You do when you get started out in the hobby.
I just go out and at the end of my session have a look at my trash/goodies bag and the enjoyment factor of the unit I was using.
Hey,... I'm not a professional earning a living,... just a guy enjoying his digging.

And I must say I really like my GB Pro. The VCO takes a little getting use to, but wrap your brain around it and your soon calling out targets.
Ground balancing for the deep targets really is a piece of cake, even with gloves on.
The screen and numbers are nice and big as well,... I like big numbers.

At the moment I've got way too many detectors to use them all like a pro,... different frequencies, different coils, different ways of looking at stuff.
I just keep on persevering, noting down experiences on my pad, collecting finds and "data"
A very involving hobby.

Would I feel worse off only having an E-trac and a GB Pro,... Yes I would.
Because I'm trying to figure out where the CTX comes into it's own,... dug some real deep rings with that one!
And need to figure out if that little red backlight could be an asset on the F19.

Anyway,... don't worry if you only have an E-trac and a GB Pro. There is a lot more to this game than owning the latest and greatest.

At the moment I'm trying out the WWII US digger with a home made longer handle.
There is a lot to be said for this basic digger. Cheap, durable and a it needs a little saving as well.
It's a working relic!

HH
Johnb
September 06, 2014 07:11AM
The best advice I can give you is

Choose metal detectors for what you NEED them to do not what you WANT them to do...

In other words you cant make a machine do what it cant...

Decide what your needs are....then choose your weapon....the more serious you are about a certian avenue like relic coin jewelry etc then you owe it to yourself to get the best you can afford for that avenue......

Sometimes the hardest thing about choosing a detector is not knowing when one is right for the job and when one is not...SAD BUT TRUE..

Keith
September 06, 2014 12:44PM
Honest observations from professionals in this hobby

Thanks guys!

I found this quote in findmall and I believe it's true

"there is no one perfect detector, so don't fall into the trap of thinking the grass is always greener on the other side. Make your pick, commit to having fun and putting the time in learning it and the finds will come.

Take a look at any of the Findmall forums and see what folks are finding. Being patient and proficient is more important to me than detector choice.

If there were one perfect detector we would all only have one machine and there would only be one detector company!"
September 06, 2014 04:13PM
It really feel they can turn the Deus into a multy freq machine if they feel that will make it a better machine...they can upgrade the software for that. I was hunting with a friend at a PARK now I don't hunt parks since I moved to the gold country about 12 years ago..but when I lived in Marin Calif I hunted only parks. He has a CZ3 that runs two freq and I was running one freq at 8. I had my sens up to 90 power up to 3 and recovery set at 2. And I was killing him. His fisher (one that was made the first year they came out, and he has had it clabrated). Is slow but deep, it love iron. Just saying the Deus has truned out to be a great park hunter and there is room for imporvment that can be done with a software update for the USA.

I waited two years to get the deus after reading all the reports it was Keith that sold me and so far it is just plain fun and deep and great in iron. I have a lot of tests coming up so we will see what it can do for me as a full on relic hunter but from the first few hunts this detector made sense to me.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2014 03:41AM by Lawrenzo.
September 07, 2014 01:59AM
I have about 5 detectors that I use at least a couple of times a year. Like someone else said already...certain conditions dictate that I grab one detector over another.
September 07, 2014 03:43AM
I like to have one that can do it all for me and that is a hard order to fill. But so far the deus is doing all I need for now. I will do a hunt with the deus and the At Gold and see how they compair. As far as park hunting in can't hold a candle to the deus..Relic hunting I'll have to hunt in all metal to see if it can hit on the same target then dig it and find out how they both did.

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

September 07, 2014 04:36PM
The Deus is a great machine but not even in the same ballpark as E-Track for "cherry picking" old coins at depth. Relic hunting in heavy iron and the exact opposite can be said .
September 07, 2014 07:55PM
I would love to test the Deus against a park coin machine on the same targets and see if it can be programed to match a Minelab...From the park hunt I had I pulled out three silver finds in about an hour of hunting and about five bucks worth of change. Deep maybe about 6-8 inches silver coins none..but I want to go back and hit it again and use a freq of 8 power 3 reactivity of 1-2 and sens at about 90 with a disc of about 10 and see what it can pull out..

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

September 07, 2014 10:39PM
It is not that the Deus can not or will hit the older and deep coins that is the issue but rather the fact that the Deus will ID many deeper junk targets in the coin range of TID's . After digging a pouch full of deeper smallish can slaw various types of pull tabs and many other junk targets of a similar conductive range that all ID,d the same as deep copper and silver coinst is the issue . Every junk target takes time away from detecting a good deeper coin . The up side is now and then a piece of gold will be dug with all the other low conductors .
Rusted crown caps often hit very well also even with all the tricks that help ID them while they are a non-issue with the Minelab FBS machines . If the Deus gets an update that will knock out crown caps like the FBS machines and ID lower conductors as well at depth then we will have the ultimate cherry picker of old coinage in my book .
September 08, 2014 12:27AM
yep Silverhound, I havent found any machine yet that can id at depth like fbs or bbs.
September 08, 2014 12:51AM
It is all about the sound not the ID

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]

September 08, 2014 01:45AM
Sounds/tones are a big part of IDing targets . When an E-Trac or earlier Explorers gave you that high silver warble it most usually was silver not a pultab or piece of can slaw for sure . Also could id an Indian head penny more times than not by sound as well . Don't get me wrong I love my Deus just not for cherry picking, especially at sites with lots of modern trash .