Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

air test of CZ 70

Posted by pmier 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
air test of CZ 70
March 14, 2010 02:43AM
Hi Tom, I am new to the forum and have really enjoyed reading all 37 pages. WOW! what a wealth of information. I bought a CZ 70 ser no. 11292*** in 2004 but have used it very little. It has been in storage in the house for all that time. I have recently retired so am looking forward to using it. I air tested the unit as per your recomendations in this forum. The results were 7 inches at sensitivety 4 and 9 inches at sen 6. Sen 6 is not really usable as the unit falses too much. I was wondering if this is in acceptable range and if not can it be repaired and by whom. This unit came with a life time warranty but I understand Fisher was bought out by another company.
Re: air test of CZ 70
March 14, 2010 01:29PM
You are right on the CZ70 after 4 unit will false in most cases must have new sens. facets from older CZ's that you might get6-8 on digital and 5-6-7-8 on analog..never found an area where I could run any CZ at 9-10.Depending how you are airtesting hope its not in the house or under a power line or the like.I think you are a bit short on depth with say a silver dime as you should get at least 10 inches and many get an inch or two more than that making it super hot at 11-12 inches. I would call Fisher as they may be able to tune it a little hotter to be average as right now its not average. I understand several outfits are available to tune meter facets but Fisher has the equipment to tune for more depth..May be wrong on the last statement so those in the know feel free to jump in with info...
March 14, 2010 03:05PM
Can you bring the unit outdoors.......suspend the coil 3 or 4-feet away from everything (including rebar cement).........hold the dime parallel to the coil ..... and see if you get better depth? I have never known a CZ-70 to detect a dime at less-than 10". (Some may require Sens '4'....and some at Sens '6').
March 14, 2010 06:40PM
Hi Pmier,

Same as you I had a CZ-70 #1129XX in great condition I purchased also in 2004. Test results similar-7.5" on dime @ sens. 4 & 9" @ Sens 6 or higher. Maybe Christoper from Ohio will chime in but it appears to be the norm in that there is a variation in performance between each individual CZ. That has been my experience.

In early 1993 I purchased a CZ-5 and hunted with it for at least 10 years. It would only air test a dime max @ 8.5". Thought that was the norm. (Wonder what I missed all those years?) Then came the CZ-70, CZ-6a and another CZ-5. Recently have acquired CZ-3d from coinhunter that Tom calibrated. The CZ-5, CZ-6a and CZ-3D are all 10-11+". Also hunted with a hot CZ-7a pro in 2004 a friend had. Have tested other CZ's for sale or not. If you do send it in -send it direct to First Texas and not to any other authorized repair center.

Happy Hunting!
March 14, 2010 11:58PM
I tested the unit by setting it up outside away from all metal objects parallel to the ground and about 4 foot off the ground. There is not any power lines in the area. I used a clad dime for this test. I have also tested it with the dime on the ground with the same results. Maybe there is another test I could do to comfirm my findings. Thanks everyone for the input.
March 15, 2010 01:11AM
Hi guys...if that's what you are getting on a 11292 serial number unit then that's honestly a very weak performing unit(s) sad smiley I have a new 12292 unit left that will hit a clad dime around 11-12 inches at 6 sensitivity, ID mode, GB 10, that ID's correctly. MANY CZ-70's I tested would hit the dime at 10 inches at either 4 or 6 sensitivity depending on the individual machine and serial number series...some were even better close to 12 inches. My disappointment with the CZ series has been the performance consistency of CZ-70's and CZ-3D's...most CZ-5 I've tested have been awesome performance testers. I'm actually about the sell that new CZ-70 Pro smiling smiley I hunt so little these days that someone should take it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2010 02:10AM by christopher-ohio.
March 15, 2010 01:20AM
Pmier......sounds like your unit is at fault..........weak.
March 16, 2010 03:21AM
Will First Texas honor the lifetime warranty from Fisher or is this even a warranty issue? Can this unit be adjusted to give better results and can First Texas do this work? If it is not a warranty issur of First Texas does not honor Fisher warranties is it cost effected to have it repaired? I am trying to figure out if I live with it the way it is or try to get a repair. Thankis for the input.
March 16, 2010 01:00PM
yes it is cost effective to have repaired Keirh willis of East Texas MetalDetectors repaired mine. $89.00 I believe is the most they ever charge per repair
March 17, 2010 12:16AM
First Texas will honor the warranty. My only concern would be that they may claim: "Your unit meets minimum spec's".
March 23, 2010 12:45PM
I called Fisher Research Labs and one other metal detector repair service both said this was typical of this detector and did not seem to think it could be improved on. Guess I will use it as is and be happpy. Thanks everyone for their imput.