Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

So What's The Real Deal?

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
So What's The Real Deal?
March 21, 2010 07:42PM
I have to say I am really confused by all the Fisher bashing I see on the web. I admit that when I bought my F70 last March I was less than impressed initially but I knew from experience it takes a long time to truly learn a machine. So I kept at it and in the past year I have fallen in love with the F70 and firmly believe it can compete with anything out there(at least in my Illinois soil). The past few months in particular have impressed me with some very small very deep finds that prove to me the machines abilities. When I consider its price it looks even better. I am pretty much a loner so I don't get to hunt with many other users but when I have run into others they are all carrying Explorers and Etracs. On these occasions nobody has found anything I couldn't. When I read many of the other forums, however, I can't help but notice that every Minelab person out there claims superiority over Fisher and they love posting pictures of silver coins. When I read reviews on the web most ordinary people give terrible reviews for the F70 and F75 and the LTD. Then I read Minelab reviews and even their cheap models get such glowing reports about monster deep silver that rookies find on day one. Its enough to give a guy an inferiority complex. What gives? Am I just living in my own little naive world? I firmly believe Minelabs are great detectors but are they that much better?
Re: So What's The Real Deal?
March 21, 2010 08:18PM
Both above mentioned are good units well learned...Some like blue chevies and some red fords kind of thing...Every unit has their plus and minus features and wish Minelab would lighten the load and Fisher would control the EMI...Heck lets not forget, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett and the list goes on as its all about the nut at the end of the wheel as most high end units well learned will excell and we all have our favorites whether they be new or old technology...Have to admit Explorers really love deep silver and Fisher F units excell in getting small items on the lower end of the spectrum which of course includes valuable gold rings and the like...so indeed use what works for you and not listen to the hype..
March 23, 2010 01:04AM
Be careful of deliberate 'orchistrated hype' on SPONSORED forums.
March 23, 2010 05:49PM
Last year my hunting buddy let me use his F75 for the day and it was love at first swing. I ended up with a beautiful Merc that came from a heavily pounded field, and that's with about only 15 minutes of reading a manual online the night before the hunt.

I found a great deal on a barely used one on Ebay around 3 weeks later and the day it arrived I put it together and tried it out in my back yard. First coin was a nice '32 Washington, around 8 or so wheaties and 2 nickles, and that's after hitting it repeatedly with my 1266 and 3 different coils.

From June till the last week of November I found over 50 silvers and again that's from places that have been pounded hard for decades,and I usually only get out on the weekends if the weather cooperates, which it hardly does.

Because it's so easy to shift on the fly I learn something new every time out which really makes it fun. Now I'm sticking with the 5" DD to pluck some keepers out of the super trashy areas, and I'm amazed at the separation I get. OOPS, back to work...

Mike
March 24, 2010 12:10AM
Sounds like you are mastering the unit well....and doing quite well. The learning-curve is paying off!
It's all in the wrist....
March 26, 2010 01:24PM
and holding your mouth right.

2 more large cents and about 5 flat buttons 2 cuff size from a site pounded for 50 years here in the Richmond VA area.

LTD has found a place in my heart and arsenal.