Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Second hunt with the Core...

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Second hunt with the Core...
November 28, 2014 05:57PM
Got out yesterday for about an hour fifteen up till sunset after filling my belly up with Thanksgiving dinner. There's a small old barn still sitting where a farm/old homestead used to be across the street in the woods. No spectacular old coins or silver but targets, clad, to be dug. I hunted right in front of the cover on the side of it. This place is really infested with iron, old nails, pieces of barbed wire and just big iron. Using the small coil on the CoRe the machine stood out big time. I've ran a lot of machines and have never had anything just flat out separate so well. I mean iron in every shovel full as to be expected here but the ability to pic out a penny or dime or rather let you know it's there is uncanny. There has to be something special about this coils detection field, sharp, narrow, or whatever, I just know it works very well. Dug coins up to six inches deep within sometimes half inch movements of the coil itself from iron. Very sensitive seems like and does not appear to blend metals near as much as other detectors in the IDing of them.

I've only got about 2 hours on the machine since I got it. What is intriguing me is with the headphones there is a special halo sound that is unmistakable when the detection field goes over something round. It has a very smooth almost crescendo with a fuzzy sound for a lack of better words as it travels past the target. When you hear the report and you slow the coil down to just barely moving it is very pronounced, it's a dig me now sound to me. I noticed it air testing the machine last week and it's the same in the ground. A very slow movement accentuates it. Here's a pic of where I was digging.

Here's the targets from that spot, like I said nothing special but lot's of ferrous material in the ground.

I haven't ran the stock and the large coil yet but if they have some of the same attributes this small coil does, watch out. The small coil is superb.
Re: Second hunt with the Core...
November 28, 2014 06:39PM
Jack, I'm sure you're happy pulling non ferrous out of that amount of iron....means you're doing something right. The thing is, there ARE old coins there either masked or too deep.
I just hit a similar area. Gable plaque read 1800. Loaded with over 200 years of human debris. Oldest coin around the house was a fairly deep 1912? wheat. I WILL get back there with the small coil...but I'm sure the oldies are too deep for the 5" but I will try my best.
Good to hear about the CoRe.
November 28, 2014 09:26PM
Put the stock coil on, go back, go slow and go deep. You will get the deep old coins.

Tom in SC
November 28, 2014 10:35PM
Jack, was that the same area you pounded with the deus?
November 28, 2014 11:29PM
Jack Im really happy your enjoying the CoRe...

Yes the Small coil FOOTPRINT is on another level,,,

Keep at it...

Keith
November 29, 2014 06:54AM
I spent the last few days testing the CoRe here in the bad soil. Two of our forum members were gracious enough to offer to let me try theirs. I am amazed at the generosity of the people here. I took one of them up on the offer and have spent the last few days running it through my test sites and seeing what it could do. I think it is a very well built machine. And I think if 6 out have fairly moderate soil, you are going to be well pleased with the depth of the machine. It behaved very similar to a T2 in 2 or 3 tone ferrous mode. The all metal mode was the deepest mode on it but the fast recovery speed of it would clip the signals short, making it hard to "size up" an object to get an idea of the overall profile. In my soil, targets beyond the 5 inch mark would start to read as iron...I noticed minie balls would come in at around 18-20 on the ID if they were deep. Unfortunately, this is also the iron range and if you run in either disc mode, you have to lower the iron mask value below 20 to hear them in my soil. All that said...I noticed it has a big liking for low conductors. I dug 2 button backs and a whole 1 piece button. One of the button backs was fairly deep but only registered in all metal. Overall I think the machine has the raw depth of a T2 machine in disc mode. I did notice it seemed a great deal faster in recovery speed. Not quite Deus fast but not far from it either. I only ran the stock coil on it. I think if you lived in an area with low to moderate mineralization and we're looking for a machine a bit deeper than the Deus and didn't want to spend the money for a Deus...the CoRe should be strongly considered.

November 29, 2014 12:08PM
Looks like it may be a well balanced MD but bit heavy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2014 12:21PM by ShovelNose.