Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Got a question: please help. It's bugging the stuffin out of me.

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Got a question: please help. It's bugging the stuffin out of me.
December 17, 2014 03:29PM
What does the phrase "It's a sleeper" mean when referring to a metal detector? Does it mean that it's slow and lazy? Or that it's a potentially great unit that hasn't caught on yet?? I have seen this many times in relation to metal detectors.
Re: Got a question: please help. It's bugging the stuffin out of me.
December 17, 2014 03:35PM
A great machine that few know about because it's not one of the "mainstream" units everyone knows about, owns, talks about, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 03:35PM by MichiganRelicHunter.
December 17, 2014 03:37PM
something or someone that becomes unexpectedly successful or important after a period of being unnoticed, ignored, or considered unpromising or a failure.
December 17, 2014 04:14PM
Oh okay!!! Thanks guys! I appreciate the quick responses!!!! Ya know......I was thinking that it meant that the unit was not deep/ weak. lol
Y'all have an AWESOME CHRISTmas!!!!!! kevin
wjs
December 17, 2014 04:16PM
Sort of like the F19................;o)
December 17, 2014 04:26PM
I hear the F19 got better..I tried one of the first ones and it was very weak..the G2 was was more powerful...

have they got the working better..

Keith
December 17, 2014 04:36PM
Sleeper means that it is great but no one really knows about it and it starts to catch on over time

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
wjs
December 17, 2014 04:52PM
The one I have is good. Probably close to G2 performance. I put an ultimate coil on it and it will go pretty deep in the ground. I think I could probably hit a 9 -10 inch coin with a fairly accurate ID. I do have pretty mild soil though.
December 17, 2014 05:40PM
Hi Kevin,,,To me "It's a sleeper" means this:::: It is usually a term used by a seller to try and falsely entice you into buying what they are selling or shoveling....The machines are usually sleeping under beds or in a closet somewhere gathering dust or mold....Think about it,,,,if the machine was so great,,,they would probably wake it up and keep it for themselves...
.Another good funny term is "thinning the herd"....Now this usually means the guy is hurting for money because he got drunk the night before and gambled all his money away....The next morning his disgruntled old lady at this point will usually threaten to leave him unless he gets rid of some of his toys.....It's usually weakest sickest one of the herd that is the first to go.....JJ
December 17, 2014 05:49PM
Sleeper machine is the one you make all the finds with but tell people you found it with another one...You dont want anyone Knowing about it...LOL>>

Keiht
December 17, 2014 06:39PM
Great replies guys and I appreciate each one. I officially declare myself as "in the know" now.......thanks to you fellas. Now, let's go dig some repeatable hi tones (or ferrous tones if in camp or battle area. Me? That Barber dime that I found the other day has me wanting ANOTHER....and ANOTHER. One ain't enough......a thousand ain't either. LOL!!!!!!
while we are defining terms, I like this example of circular logic:
December 17, 2014 06:39PM
I got this as a replacement for mine that did not work right. Brand new..the first one I had worked great... <vbg>
which was it? It did not work right, or it worked great? I don't think it can be both, can it?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
December 17, 2014 07:02PM
Kevin if you are still dealing with stuffin' you may need to adjust your swing speed and reGB. Thanksgiving finds should be considered relics and you want to start looking for fresh drops and surface finds. IMHO
Merry Christmas!
Oh, and the term sleeper means something very good but currently unrecognized as such with no implication of current or future recognition. How's that for lexical overkill? HH, Kevin!

Past(or)Tom
Using a Legend, a Deus 2, an Equinox 800, a Tarsacci MDT 8000, & a few others...
with my beloved, fading Corgi, Sadie
December 17, 2014 10:54PM
According to the Urban Dictionary,

Definition of Sleeper:

"Often referring to what appears to be an ordinary stock commuter car that is anything but stock under the hood."

In the realm of metal detectors, it looks like the White's MX5 is a "sleeper" clothed in a Coinmaster GT body. It is anything other than that model, what is exactly under the hood of the MX5? I don't know, they say it has the MXT heritage. Mine is deep and very good in the iron trash, White's must have slipped a super charged V8 under the hood of a Pinto.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2014 11:05PM by Hombre.
December 18, 2014 12:02AM
Hombre and I basically have the same definition. Sleeper in the street rod world is a car that looks like 'nothing special' and a 'piece of junk'... but when you're confident your car will beat it, the sleeper blows the doors off you. If you look under their hood, doesn't match the body of the car. One of those "What Da" moments.
December 18, 2014 03:08PM
Hombre Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> According to the Urban Dictionary,
>
> Definition of Sleeper:
>
> "Often referring to what appears to be an ordinary
> stock commuter car that is anything but stock
> under the hood."
>
> In the realm of metal detectors, it looks like the
> White's MX5 is a "sleeper" clothed in a Coinmaster
> GT body. It is anything other than that model,
> what is exactly under the hood of the MX5? I don't
> know, they say it has the MXT heritage. Mine is
> deep and very good in the iron trash, White's must
> have slipped a super charged V8 under the hood of
> a Pinto.

i dated a girl who had a "purple" pinto back in the 70's (showing my age!)
i remember HER having a "cocking good motor" too!..(lol)
yup! whitey's got another "sleeper" on it's hands!..no doubt!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
December 18, 2014 03:13PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sleeper machine is the one you make all the finds
> with but tell people you found it with another
> one...You dont want anyone Knowing about
> it...LOL>>
>
> Keiht

ehe! he! he!..i like this!..(lol)

(h.h.!)
j.t.