Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

This makes you wonder, detecting the Ghetto..

Posted by Jack Flynn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
This makes you wonder, detecting the Ghetto..
December 25, 2014 01:49PM
Where we hunt, 3 of us, we call ourselves the Ghetto Diggers. We've hunted it a lot off and on depending on houses being torn down and house lot's being scraped of the top layer of trash and dirt. Us ghetto diggers run very sophisticated high end machines so to speak when we hunt. We run into a man we've seen detecting several times. I hunted with him a few times when we end up at the same place. I mean really bad digging for all the targets in the ground. The gentleman is using a Whites Prism that is taped together and digs everything that the machine says is a coin. He is over 110 silver coins and more wheats and civil war stuff than you can imagine. We sure spend a lot of money to get what this gentleman is digging...........
Re: This makes you wonder, detecting the Ghetto..
December 25, 2014 05:11PM
Always remember a crowded N.J. beach where all we were getting was clad...saw an old timer swinging an ancient Compass...yep he had a gold ring and a Barber quarter...

Is it the detector or the swinger comes to mind......knowing your detector sure fills the pouch with goodies....On the other hand if we can afford it might as well use the newest technology.....
December 26, 2014 02:44AM
LoL - sad (but true)!

Same thing here

there's an older guy I run into on occasion when I'm out park diggin now and then or city lot diggin but he uses one of the old BH 3300's and swears by that thing... You can tell he doesn't have much in life and can't afford anything new/high end but he's had/used that machine for like 10/15 yrs (and it shows!) but every time I see him out there he pulls out a pocket full of change/stuff to show off!

Funny thing is though - one day in an old park in the "ghetto" - he pulled out a HONKER gold ring that he had just found a few minutes before I pulled up and I'm talking BIG HONKER gold (like 1980s rapper style gold chunk)!

Needless to say - my search of a couple hrs turned up nothing more than some clad with a $2000+ machine -- so who's REALLY the smarter one here!? lol
December 26, 2014 02:06PM
Some of my most productive hunts came in bad areas of town.

Remember, always hunt these places with a friend, even if he/she is just a digger.
December 26, 2014 02:10PM
Or a friend tucked in your lower back.
December 26, 2014 02:30PM
Never. I like to keep things low-profile...
December 26, 2014 02:31PM
There is a fellow that lives in my area that uses a 70's Whites 6/DB detector and has one heck of a Civil War collection that he dug all with the 6/DB. Has one of the best belt plate collection that I have seen and he told me that he thought of getting a new detector and looked at his collection then looked at me and nope I will just keep the 6/DB. Makes you wonder about tying up a lot of money in a high end detector ??