Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I Made The Cover of the Rolling Stone!

Posted by Steve Herschbach 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
I Made The Cover of the Rolling Stone!
December 28, 2014 03:39AM
Well, not quite, but close enough. Those of you who do not know me probably think I am that guy who got all giddy over the F75 Ltd2 prototype and am now turning into a Nokta/Makro fanboy. However, although I do love jewelry and coin detecting prospecting is where I put my time and energy. Partly because it is the most challenging detecting I think a person can do, but also because I make money at it. There is a part of me that is very much a kid playing with the toys, but the larger part of me is the guy running a for profit prospecting company that uses metal detectors to pay the bills. At that level my choice of detectors is serious business. Almost all my detecting this year and the bulk of the value was produced with the Minelab GPX 5000, Garrett ATX, and Minelab SDC 2300. The only substantial VLF contributions to the bank account were made by the Nokta FORS Gold and White's V3i.

The main magazine in the small scale mining world in the ICMJ Prospecting & Mining Journal. I made the cover this month which is kind of fun. No real accomplishment really since I write regularly for the magazine so I guess it was bound to happen. The ICMJ is not a metal detecting magazine, it is a prospecting magazine. It does have a lot of articles on gold detecting though, and I contribute my share of those.

Anyway, that is little old me in Alaska this summer with my Minelab GPX 5000 and the hand is mine holding the just over two ounces of gold I found. Honestly, not all that good, basically just paid for the trip and put $20 in my pocket. The year before I came back from the same trip with over a pound of gold. But it was a grand adventure and time spent with both my brother and good friend ICMJ associate editor Chris Ralph. While I do insist on turning a profit yearly the real great thing about detecting is that it takes me not only all over the country but to other parts of the world in search of gold and treasure. I do not see how anybody could find a more enjoyable and rewarding activity than metal detecting.

From [www.icmj.com])

Re: I Made The Cover of the Rolling Stone!
December 28, 2014 03:46AM
Cool dude! Good pic. I need to renew my subscription.
December 28, 2014 03:47AM
That's some cool stuff! But how can you be in Alaska without a beard?! Especially carrying a pick ax....lol. Congrats on making the cover Steve.
December 28, 2014 03:54AM
Actually sported the beard for many years but the darn thing started turning white and I am not quite ready for that yet. Now the AA powered shaver shares space with the pinpointers. Not just the ladies that are vain I guess!
December 28, 2014 03:57AM
Congratulations Steve,

It's not everyday that a person can combine business with something they love to do and make money at it, you done good!
December 28, 2014 04:00AM
Well, it's not affecting your prospecting abilities so no worries..lol
December 28, 2014 04:04AM
Congratulations! Good pic as well.
December 28, 2014 04:07AM
Congrats Steve and nice PILE of gold - looks like an adventure for sure!
December 28, 2014 10:26AM
Another example and...... Proof that detecting can be:

NOT: "just a hobby"
December 28, 2014 10:37AM
Way to go Steve, I lived in North Pole Alaska for several years and Chicken is....well Chicken. Amazing country up there...some would say it's just miles and miles of nothing....for me it was miles and miles of relaxation.
December 28, 2014 12:54PM
Steve ,
Did you score any of those nuggets along the Yukon after the big ice dam flood from a couple of years ago?
I always thought would be some good territory for sniping.
That's not the worst of bear country up there but they're still around I see no sidearm on you which makes me wonder---where do you pack some heat so it doesn't interfer with your swing and still have quick access? smiling smiley
December 28, 2014 02:19PM
real men use PI's...congrats Steve...but if it were me I'd have a big grin on my face after finding all of that....I do much prefer the quartz specimen gold you find further south, and it's
a lot more valuable, by weight....and less bugs
December 28, 2014 02:25PM
Heck live in Pa. with at best specs of glacier gold..However if I lived in gold country would buy a good gold machine and leave the coins and relics for the other guy..Nice story and congrats on your accomplishments...
December 28, 2014 03:41PM
Congrats, nice post and thanks for sharing did you buy 5 copies for your mother? HH
December 28, 2014 03:59PM
Congrats, Steve. Nice picture (how many takes?)
What sidearm do you carry for protection?
And do you use earphones (the one ear type so you can hear the bears with the other ear)?

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
December 28, 2014 04:03PM
Congrats Steve, great gold with good friends and family and good times in Alaska. It doesn't get much better than this!

Bill
December 28, 2014 04:13PM
shoveler Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve ,
> Did you score any of those nuggets along the Yukon
> after the big ice dam flood from a couple of years
> ago?
> I always thought would be some good territory for
> sniping.
> That's not the worst of bear country up there but
> they're still around I see no sidearm on you which
> makes me wonder---where do you pack some heat so
> it doesn't interfere with your swing and still have
> quick access? smiling smiley

Thanks everyone for the kind responses! I really am very fortunate to be doing what I have a real passion for. Metal detecting helped forge my work career and now fuels my retirement years.

Hi shoveler,

The gold was all found on Jack Wade Creek near Chicken, Alaska. It is about a four day drive up, good accommodations in Chicken, and a couple miles of public detecting area on Jack Wade Creek if you want to give it a go. More information on Jack Wade and how to get there at [www.detectorprospector.com]

I have spent my entire life in bear country. Even Anchorage itself is bear country. I have encountered very many bears over the years and bears generally just want to be left alone. I have never had one seriously threaten me and rarely carry a weapon. That said on some occasions caution is in order. When using a Minelab with a big coil a hunk of large metal is a concern, but I found a backpacker .44 in a chest harness to be a workable solution. I usually wear headphones and bears have not been a concern for me in that regard. You have to keep things in proper perspective. Bears are not the danger that people imagine though they must be treated with respect. I have more to fear from falling in steep terrain.

Tom, you are right, for tens of thousands of people around the world metal detecting is far more than a hobby, and if you are in some places in Africa it may be your only way out of abject poverty. Given the worldwide explosion in gold prospecting with metal detectors in the last decade the product responses from the metal detecting companies, or lack thereof, has been very frustrating. We do not want to get me started on that rant however.

canslawhero, I agree about that specimen I found but this stuff has a good feel in your hand - it is nice solid gold and jingles like a handful of coins. Here is a better photo:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 04:17PM by Steve Herschbach.
December 28, 2014 04:37PM
Nice going there Steve both in finds and the cover story.

Beard turning grey. Shoot if mine didn't it would not match my hair. Just proud to have it what ever colr.

Dwight
December 28, 2014 04:39PM
Great news Steve, congrats!
December 28, 2014 04:53PM
That's the stuff that dreams are made out of!

HH
Johnb
December 28, 2014 04:54PM
Cool !
December 28, 2014 05:00PM
Steve H., just curious, how do those nuggets get a 'rounded' look to them?? They remind me of the stuff that you find under a welders table where I used to work. They look like they were molten, and then hit the water or something. I have even found Civil War camp lead that looks like those nuggets (apart from the gold color).
This question is just out of pure curiosity....as i have often wondered how gold is actually formed or whether it is a naturally occurring metal. Very interesting stuff!!! Wars have been fought over those yellow nuggets. Several times, the entire continent has been affected by someone picking one of those nuggets up and shouting "GOLD!" ....and then, are sorts of stuff would follow!
But besides my ramblings and questions, congrats on the photograph!!!!! I would LOVE to have your job!!!! Detecting and sluice-boxing (if I even said that right), panning, and sleeping out under the stars. That holds a certain appeal to me. Anyway.....GREAT PIC and I hope the New Year brings with it a very prosperous endeavor!!!!
December 28, 2014 05:10PM
Steve Herschbach Wrote:
Bears are not the danger that people
> imagine though they must be treated with respect.

It's not me treating the bears with respect that I would worry about...

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
December 28, 2014 05:55PM
Kevin B Wrote:
> Steve H., just curious, how do those nuggets get a
> 'rounded' look to them?? They remind me of the
> stuff that you find under a welders table where I
> used to work. They look like they were molten,
> and then hit the water or something. I have even
> found Civil War camp lead that looks like those
> nuggets (apart from the gold color).
> This question is just out of pure
> curiosity....as i have often wondered how gold is
> actually formed or whether it is a naturally
> occurring metal. Very interesting stuff!!! Wars
> have been fought over those yellow nuggets.
> Several times, the entire continent has been
> affected by someone picking one of those nuggets
> up and shouting "GOLD!" ....and then, are sorts
> of stuff would follow!
> But besides my ramblings and questions,
> congrats on the photograph!!!!! I would LOVE to
> have your job!!!! Detecting and sluice-boxing (if
> I even said that right), panning, and sleeping out
> under the stars. That holds a certain appeal to
> me. Anyway.....GREAT PIC and I hope the New Year
> brings with it a very prosperous endeavor!!!!

Hi Kevin,

I always enjoy your posts. Such enthusiasm is infectious!

The geology and geochemistry of gold can get complex and is the basis for much of what I do. It is all about putting myself on the right geology. What I am relaying here is perhaps the simplest and more common explanation but certainly does not cover it all.

Study this photo carefully, especially the lower left corner.

What I am holding there is a 55 ounce gold specimen found by my friend Dan Wiltz at Ganes Creek, Alaska in 1996 with a Minelab metal detector. "Gold specimen" usually refers to natural gold that has a lot of the original rock still as part of it. A gold nugget would be pretty much all gold, and a specimen mostly rock, but the dividing line is vague.

I like this picture because the specimen is a relatively intact portion of a quartz vein 8-10 inches thick. A vein is a layer of rock enclosed in different rock, much like the frosting in the middle of an oreo cookie. Quartz is a very common mineral and quartz veins are also very common, so unfortunately most quartz veins do not have gold in them. But when you are in gold country quartz veins may be where the gold is originally coming from.

Gold is a soft metal and does not like to form crystals. It tends to form as soft rounded masses inside the rock, and so you can see in this picture a chunk of gold weighing several ounces in the lower left corner of this rock. Quartz is hard and resistant, so when the gold gets exposed on the surface by erosion, it rapidly becomes even more rounded off if the specimen gets rolled around in a creek. A large boulder might roll over this chunk of quartz. The quartz, being brittle like glass, would shatter. The gold is more like lead however so it tends to stay intact. It may flatten or fold but it rarely will break. If the rock gets pounded and rolled enough, the quartz all breaks away, leaving you with these nice, rounded gold nuggets.

It is actually possible to 'read" gold, in that very round gold has traveled far from the source not just in distance but in time. Much of the Jack Wade gold is very old and has been in the erosion cycle for millennia. The original source for much of it may be long gone. Gold like the delicate specimen pictured on another thread has only recently (in geologic time) broke free of the vein and has not traveled far. When you find a specimen like this big quartz chunk with gold in it, the source is sure to be nearby, probably within a mile of less.

That is part of the fun of prospecting. I look for individual nuggets. But the nature of those nuggets can lead me to the source. I have been and still am involved in some exploration projects of that nature but that is another story.

Hope this provides a decent explanation for you. Best wishes to you in the new year Kevin!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2014 05:57PM by Steve Herschbach.
December 28, 2014 07:38PM
Congratulations Steve. Nice photo.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
December 29, 2014 01:08AM
Steve, those tidbits of info on gold are damn interesting. When you use words like 'veins, millennia, geologic time, geochemistry, erosion, specimen...man, I sit up and zero in on that kind of talk.....I think I may have missed my calling. Very good post!...enjoyed it!
December 29, 2014 02:33AM
Physics/Geophysics/Mother Nature = Detecting/Prospecting "Clues"!
December 29, 2014 04:34AM
Congrats on the Cover...( FRAME IT)

Big congrats on the GOLD!!!!!

Keith
December 29, 2014 02:26PM
Steve, just curious...would it be possible for an enterprising old guy (with time on his hands) with a truck camper to drive up to Jack Wade Creek and park for a couple weeks of detecting?
I'm not saying I'd be able to do that but this post sure makes one think (daydream) about it....also, is a PI a requirement there or would a good VLF be sufficient to find the goods (with some luck thrown in)...
December 29, 2014 03:10PM
Yes indeed! Check out the information and follow the links at information on Jack Wade and how to get there at [www.detectorprospector.com]

If you do so you can recreate my trip since it was all posted online in detail. Seriously, the Alaska Highway is worth the drive itself, and it is not the old days. The road is well paved the entire way, with good if well spaced facilities. There is a very nice BLM campground at the mouth of Jack Wade Creek but since it is a Wild & Scenic River no off campground areas. There is a 10 day limit in the campground. Chicken itself is twenty miles from Jack Wade Creek. In 2013 I stayed at the campground and at Chicken and commuted. This year I just stayed in Chicken. There is no cellular anywhere in the area but there are a couple places you can stay in Chicken (cabins or RV or just a tent) with WiFi and I used that to keep in touch with home daily. Made the commute part worth it to me. But for shorter stays I would recommend that campground - Walker Fork Campground it is called.

Again, the link above takes you info on Jack Wade, and a link their to my daily diary and detail, all you could ever want, on making the trip yourself. If you ever wanted to visit Alaska and look for gold, it is one of the better ways to get started.

If you are a glutton for punishment you can use a PI and dig thousands of nails at Jack Wade to get gold. I did. But it is mild ground and for most people I would recommend a good do-it-all mid frequency VLF detector like a Fisher Gold Bug Pro or F75, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Nokta FORS Gold or CoRe, Tesoro Lobo, or White's MXT to name a few.

Over the years I have taken 16 or 17 ounces of gold metal detecting Jack Wade Creek. It is not easy but nugget detecting never is. A novice could very well get skunked so do not think it is buckets of gold, it is not. But the creek produced some monster gold and a person can just get lucky. Better to be lucky than be good sometimes.