Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CZ6a beach finds

Posted by therover61 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
CZ6a beach finds
April 09, 2010 01:21AM
Found a spot that gave up over 100 wheat pennies, all in really good shape. There are 80 in the pic...my brother got the other 23 of them. All of these were found in an area about 50ft x 50ft. I picked these off with my CZ6a. Boy did these things 'ping' high tone hard. They weren't that deep either, ranging from 5-7 inches. A few were in the 10-12 inch range though.

Funny thing is...not one silver coin. The 10:1 wheat to silver ratio was non existent. But, instead of a silver for every 10 wheats, we got a foreign coin. Ones from Hong Kong, Mexico, Trinidad, Israel, Canada, Italy and the weirdest one was the 1939 German coin with a swastika on it. I took a pic but it did not come out too well.

Interesting was the fact that most of these foreign coins were mid tone hits and some were low tone/mid tone...I guess due to some of them having steel in them ? At first my brother was using an Excal and did not get any of the foreign coins...some actually nulled when we tested them. He went back and got his V3 and started to hit them.

Re: CZ6a beach finds
April 09, 2010 02:30AM
Hey therover, did you go to one of the Jersey Beaches? What were the dates on the other foreign coins..were they newer than the wheats?
April 09, 2010 09:18AM
Take a magnet to the foreign coins.

......Also, silver is a different density....and, most probably 'stratified' in a different area on the beach. HUGE 'visual' explanation to follow........in the near future!
April 09, 2010 12:52PM
Ozzie,

Yes I was at an NJ beach. The wheaties date ranged from 1910 -1956. The oldest foreign coin was the 1939 German coin. Most others were in the 1960-1980 range.

Tom...thanks for the explanation about silver and the fact that if there are silver coins there, they are probably deeper or on a different level/slope on the beach.

I think I may be in a dig all mode at this spot next time (going back next week). There may or may not be more, and there was a lot of iron there, but I still may just dig everything and see what transpires. Going to bring my PI just in case I want to do this.
April 09, 2010 10:28PM
Be careful. Sometimes....................just one simple tide change.............can bring in enough sand to cover up everything.