Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Need some suggestions for old fairground trash

Posted by kilmer 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Need some suggestions for old fairground trash
April 28, 2010 01:55AM
I have a friend who is really spanking me and the LTD in an old fairgrounds. He has been hunting this place for years with a Minelab and a large coil. He hunts by the hour but almost always produces silver or Indians. I have tried the place one time, running BP and about 75 sensitivity. I even tried hunting all metal and using vdi. I did find some targets, but all newer coins. I will be with him again tomorrow and I want to find some decent targets. I have been reading the small coil posts and I will try the 5 tomorrow. My question is mode and sensitivity? Could I be running too hot and blinding the LTD with all of the junk in the ground?
Would it make sense to try the under 29 sensitivity range? I thought if some of you could jump in with your thoughts, I might make a better showing tomorrow.

Thanks, Don
Re: Need some suggestions for old fairground trash
April 28, 2010 02:33AM
Personally, I like as high a sen. as I can handle...usually 85-90, and am not fond of the 29 and under setting. For sites like old fairgrounds, I like the 5" coil and bp mode as this allows me to slow down and just inch my way along and carefully check every good sounding tic and peep. Away from the midway stretches where there is usually some less trash, then I would use the 11" coil. Also, de isn't to shabby either, IMHO. Good luck! HH jim tn
April 28, 2010 03:15AM
MAKE SURE you are using 4-tone..........and digging ALL targets that ID in BOTH of the top two tones!....(ignoring the bottom two tones).
Re: Need some suggestions for old fairground trash Tom?
April 28, 2010 04:03AM
Tom,.
What is your thought on sensitivity? Could I have been hitting it too hard? It was stable but I only found modern coins at three or four inches. I think I can handle the noise and chatter if that is the hot set up to find stuff mixed in with years of small trash and iron. Just wondered about the sensitivity and mode for tomorrow.

Don
Re: Need some suggestions for old fairground trash Tom?
April 28, 2010 03:02PM
.....As high as you can run Sens....without too much chatter.
April 29, 2010 02:06AM
In boost mode on the LTD try a sens of 60-65 with the small coil. You will get depth so don't worry about that and on iffy targets that are deep dig them also the 5DD has a range but after that the tone will be more broken up that is still a target to dig.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Need some suggestions for old fairground trash Update
April 29, 2010 01:02PM
Well, most of the day went like I was afraid it would. Lots of junk signals, some fooled me. Lots of clad, about two bucks worth. One bright spot, changed to the small coil, cranked up sensitivity to 75 in BP and dug one questionable signal that turned out great. I had a hard time picking the mixed signals to dig. Hit a lot of trash with no goodies. Finally, hit an 1898 Indian with the small coil which was at least 9 inches deep. I would have given up if not for the probe which insisted the signal was in the hold only deeper. Convinced it is all about getting more time on the LTD. It is easy to get down on it when you aren't finding the goodies, but remember how it screams when you get it over a coin. If it isn't finding targets I need to do a better job of getting the coil over them. Thanks for the input.

HH, Don

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2010 02:12PM by kilmer.
April 29, 2010 03:30PM
You don't want to turn up your sens too high in trash you may think you will get more depth but you will get more trash also. Run a disc at 6 two tone and slow down.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 29, 2010 07:41PM
Wise conclusion.
Stay with it and the finds will come.

kilmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, most of the day went like I was afraid it
> would. Lots of junk signals, some fooled me.
> Lots of clad, about two bucks worth. One bright
> spot, changed to the small coil, cranked up
> sensitivity to 75 in BP and dug one questionable
> signal that turned out great. I had a hard time
> picking the mixed signals to dig. Hit a lot of
> trash with no goodies. Finally, hit an 1898
> Indian with the small coil which was at least 9
> inches deep. I would have given up if not for the
> probe which insisted the signal was in the hold
> only deeper. Convinced it is all about getting
> more time on the LTD. It is easy to get down on
> it when you aren't finding the goodies, but
> remember how it screams when you get it over a
> coin. If it isn't finding targets I need to do a
> better job of getting the coil over them. Thanks
> for the input.
>
> HH, Don
Re: Need some suggestions for old fairground trash- Success
May 01, 2010 12:29AM
Went back today with the 5 inch coil. I hunted BP, turned the sensitivity down to 60 and picked my way through the trash. I felt like I was getting decent info from the LTD. I dug two wheat pennies at about 7 inches. One was a 1914 and one was a 1920. The 1914 had a thin iron shim in the same hole. I did dig some trash, but feel like in this situation you will have to dig trash. I only had a short time and hunted until I got a weak and partially repeatable signal from one or two angles. Careful pinpoint and I think things went well. I feel good enough about it to try again. Thanks for your input. I have tried the sensitivity way up when the trash was modest and way down when it was heavy. I am pretty convinced that no single answer is right for the LTD. It has a ton of options, we need to remember that, and experiment until we hit the right combination. Depth and power are not a problem with this machine. I think not being afraid to turn it down some will help the beginners get a handle on it quicker.

Don