Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coil Question for Tom

Posted by tmanly 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coil Question for Tom
May 05, 2010 04:13PM
I am kinda new to the hobby, and have done a little reading ( could be dangerous). Are all coils designed with two windings? I know the size of wire and number of windings depend on the frequency that will be applied. My main question is .... Is it possible to design a coil with multiple windings that relate to coil size? It would require a selector switch that could be changed "on the fly" to meet hunting needs.
If this is possible a single coil could take the place of two or more coils of different sizes. This is just a newbie question so take it easy......
Re: Coil Question for Tom
May 05, 2010 10:09PM
Pulse Induction metal detectors can (primarily) use a monoloop. VLF units (which is what most metal detectors that we are familiar with) .....yes, use 2 windings. A transmit coil..........and a receive coil.

If I understand your question correctly........................Garrett metal detectors does indeed have what you are in reference to. Multiple coil sizes in one housing. . . . . . and ,,,,, you can switch coil 'size'.............on-the-fly. It is not very effecient; subsequently, not popular.

Resonance, impedence and inductive balance are a few of the important factors in designing coils.
May 05, 2010 11:36PM
Good question
dgc
May 06, 2010 12:52AM
What would be nice is to have a quick connect at the end of the cable, so all you would be changing is the coil. They probably don't make them that way due to stress on the cable at the coil connection, but it seems like a screw on connection would be pretty stable to me.
May 06, 2010 12:56AM
It would be too risky to have a coil connector on the top of the coil. Intrusion of moisture/dirt/salt water..........etc..............
dgc
May 06, 2010 01:20AM
NASA-Tom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It would be too risky to have a coil connector on
> the top of the coil. Intrusion of
> moisture/dirt/salt
> water..........etc..............

I overlooked contaminant intrusion. Thanks Tom.