Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

To headphone or not Headphone

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
To headphone or not Headphone
February 19, 2015 03:00AM
This was brought up on another forum and I replied...but It has bearing...

And I will be the first to confess in the remote areas I hunt, I seldom ever use headphones unless Im running a threshold based all metal mode or really tryng to hear a certain click of the audio in some sort of iron...Or if its real cold and I want my ears protected...

I know Im going to hear all sorts of stuff from people but I do very well without headphones even in hunted out sites...And When Im deep in the woods I like to take in nature while I hunt...phones seem to block out the real world....

I do wear them in urban areas and or noisy environments and such but deep in the woods in an old forgotten site with a machine that has a loud speaker I love to hunt without phones..

There nothing more relaxing than spending a Sunday afternoon deep in the woods detecting on a fall day bareheaded so to speak...

The DEUS is even better ...stick it in your top pocket and its really loud...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: To headphone or not Headphone
February 19, 2015 03:14AM
it is possible to detect just fine without headphones,BUT i suspect
MOST here are all older f**ks,like me, who can't hear sh*t,so consequently,
headphones are a must,as they put the audio right next to your brain,so ya can't help but hear it!
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 19, 2015 03:24AM
I hunt without headphones as well. But will say the machines with the better audio makes it easier to do. When it's windy or real cold I'lll wear headphones. Also when hunting near roadways and hunting with other folks I will wear them as well. In summer time would like to hear the rattler a buzzin if I start getting close !!!!!!!!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 03:27AM by tnsharpshooter.
February 19, 2015 03:43AM
i wear them all the time based on the previous post,BUT i switch to
"lightweight" phones in the better weather.Ie: (hot).i find that the lighter headphones
give me the feeling of wearing none at all,and i also find that they don't have a heavy
mainspring that applies pressure to my head like a conventional set does.

(h.h.!)
j.t.
February 19, 2015 03:43AM
I don't leave home without headphones, it is on my checklist of must haves. I have been known to double back and lose an hour of hunting time to go back to the house and get my UniProbes. In the summer I wear the Killer B's Stinger, the one cup headphone and switch ears when one ear gets too hot.
February 19, 2015 04:18AM
Sometimes when prospecting I go without,but rarely. I like to stay unnoticed...bunch of tweakers and wierdos out in the woods around here.
Off topic...but my 10' sheetmetal brake was stolen last week. Tonight I got a call from the window guy...some painter wants to sell him a brake! Going to meet with him at 8am tomorrow...payback is a bitch!
February 19, 2015 12:08PM
jmaryt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i wear them all the time based on the previous
> post,BUT i switch to
> "lightweight" phones in the better weather.Ie:
> (hot).i find that the lighter headphones
> give me the feeling of wearing none at all,and i
> also find that they don't have a heavy
> mainspring that applies pressure to my head like a
> conventional set does.
>
> (h.h.!)
> j.t.

Same here
February 19, 2015 12:09PM
deathray Wrote:
> Sometimes when prospecting I go without,but
> rarely. I like to stay unnoticed...bunch of
> tweakers and wierdos out in the woods around
> here.
> Off topic...but my 10' sheetmetal brake was stolen
> last week. Tonight I got a call from the window
> guy...some painter wants to sell him a brake!
> Going to meet with him at 8am tomorrow...payback
> is a bitch!

Kick some AZZ Ray!

He'll look mighty funny with your roofing/claw hammer sticking outta his scull!!
February 19, 2015 12:19PM
Be careful Ray, may have been 2 guys hefting that brake.
February 19, 2015 12:28PM
I've used the best and cheapest headphones over the years and don't like any of them. Hate being attached to a cord, so unless I'm around other detectorists or can't hear due to road noise, I don't use them. And I'm sure I haven't missed much.
February 19, 2015 01:05PM
Guys I wear headphones all the time but here's a warning if you wear eyeglasses be careful cause I now have a cyst on the back of my left ear due to the headphones compressing my eyeglasses ear pieces into the back of my ear. So now I leave the glasses in my car.
February 19, 2015 01:58PM
deathray wrote

"Off topic...but my 10' sheetmetal brake was stolen last week. Tonight I got a call from the window guy...some painter wants to sell him a brake! Going to meet with him at 8am tomorrow...payback is a bitch! "

Let us know the outcome Ray and take care.

El
February 19, 2015 02:12PM
I don't like phones unless it's cold, noisy or there's people within earshot. Otherwise I leave them off. I wear glasses too and the phones give me some pain after a while as well. Also without phones plugged in it saves time and effort in making videos.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
February 19, 2015 02:20PM
99% of hunting under Combat Conditions so headphones are a must,but I have Always dreamed of having a wireless outfit that would work,because I am always in thick brush,cane,briars,etc. and the earphone cord has caused a loss of religion maaaaaaaaaany times.
February 19, 2015 02:53PM
Always wear them as I hate to miss anything in my hunted to death public sites not to mention the noise is obnoxious to lots of non detectorist and I prefer keeping the lowest profile possible....
February 19, 2015 03:07PM
Lets put it this way if I left my headphones home would not hunt ought to cover it...Always carry a spare in trunk in case mine break. I know some fellows that wear earbuds on hot days.
Coming from a top forum member really has me puzzled or he may have superior hearing but to catch the nuances etc. headphones are my way of doing it.
Better to analyze from the top as digging deep holes are work and to each his own...Try this sometime turn one side off and that may increase your abilities also.
February 19, 2015 03:21PM
I always wear headphones. I would be easy prey for getting jumped by someone....been jumped by dogs a couple times, literally....no harm done, they just wanted to play. Almost got run over by deer herds a few times while down on my knees. Looked up the last minute....funny to see their reaction along with my adrenalin rush. We have black bear around here, some aren't just passing through. A ranger told me some are hanging out in the bigger state parks.....I should be more careful.
February 19, 2015 03:35PM
Always for me, I feel naked without them plus my hearing is not what it used to be.
February 19, 2015 03:37PM
I've heard all the "gotta hear the nuances" talk over the years, as I started with a Jetco in 1969. Not saying there's nothing to it, but I've had guys call me over many times and say, "you can't hear that target without headphones". I heard them all just fine. I guess I may miss something on occasion, although I doubt it. But if I do, the freedom from the cord allows me to dig more targets than the guy with corded headphones. And like sales, a lot of metal detecting is a numbers game. Dig more-find more.
February 19, 2015 05:12PM
How does being free from a coiled cord help you find more than somebody with a cord? That statement makes no sense. I've metal detected in places you couldn't even walk through, where I've literally collapsed my detector to the smallest length, and crawled through the briars and brush on my hands and knees, stopping to move the coil in every nook and cranny that I could. If it's so thick that a coiled wire might get tangled every few feet, then you're not gonna be able to sweep a search coil in thick cover like that anyway. I have more trouble out of my shovel getting caught in thick stuff than I do my headphones wire.

I personally let the site environment let me know whether I should wear headphones. If it's cold and the wind blowing...yep I'm gonna have something on my ears. In the summer...I don't dig much in the summer but when I do, it's usually at night. And sound carries a long ways at night. But night time also brings out critters...and I like being able to hear. I ain't so much worried about a rattlesnake here...as I am more worried about stepping on a copperhead. Copperheads don't have any warning sound associated to them...and they don't even need a reason to hit you. They are like the yellow jackets of the snake world...just plain mean bastages. I bought a pair of those single ear headphones for hunting at night...but didn't think they were comfortable. Plus my night hunting came to an end in some of my better places....seems you can have permission to hunt a piece of property...but the neighbors of said property get all suspicious when they see lights and hear unusual sounds of digging at night, and after dealing with having the county sheriffs deputies come out a couple times...it becomes a hassle. Even though you have permission to be there...there's nothing quite like being blinded by a spot light of an itchy trigger finger deputy...especially when the tone of said deputy changes when he illuminates you and sees you have a large shovel, and a pistol on your side...digging a hole in a field in the middle of the night.
February 19, 2015 07:24PM
I see guys all the time taking off their headphones, setting the detector down, and then digging the hole. You see it too. If I have to set my detector down to dig a deep hole, I'm not attached to the detector through a corded headphone, so it takes less time. So my statement does make sense, maybe just not to you. And if you're going through a briar patch, you can't tell me that your headphone cord has never gotten snagged on them, because it has. I started detecting in the day, just not yesterday.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2015 07:26PM by Shenandoah Digger.
February 19, 2015 07:46PM
Shenandoah Digger Wrote:
> I see guys all the time taking off their
> headphones, setting the detector down, and then
> digging the hole. You see it too. If I have to
> set my detector down to dig a deep hole, I'm not
> attached to the detector through a corded
> headphone, so it takes less time. So my statement
> does make sense, maybe just not to you. And if
> you're going through a briar patch, you can't tell
> me that your headphone cord has never gotten
> snagged on them, because it has. I started
> detecting in the day, just not yesterday.
I would love to see a solid bottom coil cover option as well for all the open coils. I'm tired of every stob hanging up my coil. I think I'm going to buy an extra set of covers and silicone some thin plastic to the bottoms.
February 19, 2015 07:57PM
I've wondered why someone didn't make a coil cover that covered the entire bottom of a spider coil, although I think I saw in a Fors Core unpacking video a solid bottom cover for the 7x11.
February 19, 2015 07:59PM
I think headphones can be a pain when the detector has the headphone jack placed in a bad location.
If you make an extension so you can plug your headset in somewhere just under the forearm near the arm cup of you handle.
You may find wearing headphones is a lot easier.

Secondly some headphones have small earcups, that hurt the ears. Other have large enough earcups but the headband is too tight against the head.
Most headbands can be bent wider even if they are the plastic type. Just do it gently. It does make a difference.

DeepTech Vista X with 3 search coils.
Works for me
February 19, 2015 08:03PM
'Last year, I went from May thru August without 'phones' and never missed 'em'

Wore them for years and I feel are responsible for hearing differences in both my ears!
Had to use them at work when testing as it was vital to record even the most minute sound / signal.

Woods and beaches can be very noisy with rustling leaves / breaking waves and if that is the case on the day then phones are worn'.
February 19, 2015 08:39PM
Shenandoah Digger Wrote:
> I've used the best and cheapest headphones over
> the years and don't like any of them. Hate being
> attached to a cord, so unless I'm around other
> detectorists or can't hear due to road noise, I
> don't use them. And I'm sure I haven't missed
> much.
You must of not been using your Nautilus?
February 19, 2015 09:07PM
You're right there. I once went out with my Nautilus and left the headphones in my truck. After I got about a mile into the woods I realized I didn't have them. Even if the Nautilus had a speaker, without headphones it would be just another beep and dig machine. Still trying to find another DMCI.
February 19, 2015 09:12PM
deathray Wrote:
> Sometimes when prospecting I go without,but
> rarely. I like to stay unnoticed...bunch of
> tweakers and wierdos out in the woods around
> here.
> Off topic...but my 10' sheetmetal brake was stolen
> last week. Tonight I got a call from the window
> guy...some painter wants to sell him a brake!
> Going to meet with him at 8am tomorrow...payback
> is a bitch!

Used 10' sheetmetal brake back in the day to brake gravel stop and drip edge, not like someone can just walk off with one, be careful.
February 19, 2015 09:33PM
Probably boils down to personal preference. I'm easily distracted, so I wear Killer Bee's (or Jolly Rogers) or the black cheapies that USED to be included with a new G2 purchase. But I always keep the muff on one ear slid halfway back so that I can hear a rattler or someone sneaking up behind me (if I happen to be in town).
I always liked the Deus Backphones except they start rubbing my ears raw after a while. Still though, great sound. Happy Detecting.
February 19, 2015 09:49PM
lots of great replies..

and yes I use headphones alot...but theres just times and places and moods im in that I dont..Some days I enjoy being outside in nature as much as detecting and the built in speaker lets me experience both...

but trust me I know when I need to put a pair on for serious hunting or even considerate hunting..

one thing Ive been wanting to try is the rattlers headphones... just one ear...in the summer its dangerous around here to have your ears covered up....

I may look in to some soon..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla