Are there any silver investors here? I need some info on how to get started
February 21, 2015 04:52PM
I don't wanna take up too much space with this topic, but I am having these odd feelings that I had better 'stock up' on silver bullion or 'junk' silver coins (pre-1964 coins with little to no numismatic value). Moderators, if this is an 'over the top' thread, please delete it and I'll try to figure out who else to ask. I have been reading alot about China's silver reserves falling and they use alot of silver. It might be a wise investment. I don't have enough cash to invest in gold. (wish I did)
The few 20 dollar bills that I have in my wallet just seem like bacteria-laden paper with no value. I don't want to be caught short at retirement time. There's a commericial on TV where a famous actor (Don Somebody) is touting the wisdom of buying silver and with a big enough order, they will send you a free safe. Are they safe? Or are they just trying to 'dump' alot of silver? If silver is such a good investment, then why are there TV commercials that are trying to sell??? I am in complete darkness when it comes to this. I was hoping that some of you might have a link to where I can educate myself from getting scammed. Thanks.
PS: Maybe I should shift my focus from Civil War relics ( Minie Balls and the occasional cuff button) and spend my detecting time adding to my up and coming portfolio.
I'm just looking for people that I can trust (to buy some silver bullion) Maybe 1000 dollars worth. Just to start.
Re: Are there any silver investors here? I need some info on how to get started
February 21, 2015 05:01PM
Just an alternative suggestion, worth you considering: virtual silver (backed by real metal). One such firm is Bullionvault, there may be other similar US-based trading platforms. I have a friend who has used Bullionvault, it seemed straightforwards. It's important to consider tax-related issues. Here in the UK, V.A.T and Capital gains tax play a part in what to invest in.
February 21, 2015 05:18PM
Kevin,

I suggest start off slow, and buy some Morgan silver dollars here and there. Search for a local coin dealer and build up a relationship with them. Buying 1 or 2 may cost a bit more premium wise ( as opposed to buying in bulk), but getting to know a local coin dealer can help when you want to cash some in for profit. Even some silver quarters and dimes is a good start. Bullion comes with a higher premium but then it sells at a premium too.

There are some guys out there who deal in cash so that helps keeping things on the down low.

So when someone asks if you have any silver or gold, your response is 'what is that ? "

Storing silver however, does become an issue once you get more and more, as it's a lot harder due to it's size relative to the same dollar amount for gold. So at some point a good safe is in order or a safe deposit box where you can store some and keep the investment in several places ( a nice deep hole somewhere is also an alternative !).

The gold/silver ratio now is like 70-1.....the real ratio of gold/silver in terms of what is on Earth, is apparently 16-1. Will that ration start to gravitate back to 16-1 ? One of two things have to happen...either the price of gold tanks while silver stays flat, or silver starts to go up much quicker than gold. I am betting on the latter...silver rising much faster than gold.

Bear in mind, any price you pay is just the paper price. The physical gold and silver out there is 100 times less ( and possibly much more) than the actual paper contracts and futures tied to the price.

Me, I buy physical gold and silver every month. I trade my clad into silver bullion or Morgans. I love the Morgan silver dollar. I think that coin is one of the sweetest looking coins every made.

I am of the old school if you don't have it and hold it, it's not really yours. Those zeroes and ones on the paper forms your bank gives you each month and really not yours. That bank goes under, you think you will get your money back ? NOPE. FDIC insurance...that's a joke.

Diversify some of your paper assets into REAL assets. Physical gold and silver is a great way to keep some of the purchasing power of the dollar in order. Check out how much purchasing power the dollar has lost since the 'invention' of the Federal reserve bank in 1913. It lost about 95% of its value. Gold and silver...not even close to that.

A silver quarter is worth about a gallon of gas today. A clad quarter.....HA !

Need more help brother, give me a call. It was great talking to you the other day.

One more thought/addition. Check out the price of gold in other currencies ( Euro, Ruble, Kroner, etc.). The price of gold in those currencies has risen dramatically. So in dollar terms the price has been flat over the last year or so, but in certain other currencies it has sky rocketed. Only a matter of time when this happens in dollar terms. IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2015 06:31PM by therover61.
February 21, 2015 06:07PM
therover61 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kevin,
>
> I suggest start off slow, and buy some Morgan
> silver dollars here and there. Search for a local
> coin dealer and build up a relationship with them.
> Buying 1 or 2 may cost a bit more premium wise (
> as opposed to buying in bulk), but getting to know
> a local coin dealer can help when you want to cash
> some in for profit. Even some silver quarters and
> dimes is a good start. Bullion comes with a higher
> premium but then it sells at a premium too.
>
> There are some guys out there who deal in cash so
> that helps keeping things on the down low.
>
> So when someone asks if you have any silver or
> gold, your response is 'what is that ? "
>
> Storing silver however, does become an issue once
> you get more and more, as it's a lot harder due to
> it's size relative to the same dollar amount for
> gold. So at some point a good safe is in order or
> a safe deposit box where you can store some and
> keep the investment in several places ( a nice
> deep hole somewhere is also an alternative !).
>
> The gold/silver ratio now is like 70-1.....the
> real ratio of gold/silver in terms of what is on
> Earth, is apparently 16-1. Will that ration start
> to gravitate back to 16-1 ? One of two things have
> to happen...either the price of gold tanks while
> silver stays flat, or silver starts to go up much
> quicker than gold. I am betting on the
> latter...silver rising much faster than gold.
>
> Bear in mind, any price you pay is just the paper
> price. The physical gold and silver out there is
> 100 times less ( and possibly much more) than the
> actual paper contracts and futures tied to the
> price.
>
> Me, I buy physical gold and silver every month. I
> trade my clad into silver bullion or Morgans. I
> love the Morgan silver dollar. I think that coin
> is one of the sweetest looking coins every made.
>
> I am of the old school if you don't have it and
> hold it, it's not really yours. Those zeroes and
> ones on the paper forms your bank gives you each
> month and really not yours. That bank goes under,
> you think you will get your money back ? NOPE.
> FDIC insurance...that's a joke.
>
> Diversify some of your paper assets into REAL
> assets. Physical gold and silver is a great way to
> keep some of the purchasing power of the dollar in
> order. Check out how much purchasing power the
> dollar has lost since the 'invention' of the
> Federal reserve bank in 1913. It lost about 95% of
> its value. Gold and silver...not even close to
> that.
>
> A silver quarter is worth about a gallon of gas
> today. A clad quarter.....HA !
>
> Need more help brother, give me a call. It was
> great talking to you the other day.

Absolutely and wholeheartedly agree with the Rover here Kevin

I've been a collector since the mid 70s and was a full time full blown coin dealer for the entire decade of 2000 thru 2010 and I still deal somewhat with coins/precious metals as a secondary income

the above is sound advice and a great way to invest for the future

Morgans, silver eagles, bars, rounds, any of it = great way to invest but buy it while it's low!
February 21, 2015 06:10PM
Therover61---good advice for anyone.
February 21, 2015 06:44PM
Thanks guys,,,,,,,,SO much. I am think that I am going to take advantage of the low prices WHILE they are low. Surely, the price of silver will increase as the market cries: "We need more silver!!!!!". I find this stuff exciting. And yet, I see how someone like me (at the risk of sounding over-self-deprecating) could get swindled. I will have to be VERY careful so that I don't end up with bunch of silver plated ingots!!!! Isn't there some kind of rule that sterling silver or .999 silver MUST be marked as such.........What about silver plated stuff??? Are there protections/ regulations about how they are marked???
And TheRover61, I will call you at some point when I get some actual questions (that make sense) put togther. I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Here's a question out of the blue: Is it actually illegal for me to own silver or gold in higher quantities? Meanwhile, I'll continue to research and do my best at discerning fact from fiction. I am sure glad that I have this forum to consult. There alot of good guys here who, personally, I don't think that they would steer a guy wrong. Most of them.
February 21, 2015 06:50PM
I've been thinking about asking this question here too, great advice , I was thinking of going to the local Gold/Silver store where I buy coins to fill my coin books, the are fairly cheap, and ask him for a deal to buy some coins for seeded hunts and maybe pick up some Morgans for my self, good ideas
February 21, 2015 06:54PM
Yes, I was wondering where I could buy some Morgan's. 100% chance of rain all day!!! Be a good time to research.
February 21, 2015 07:22PM
Other than my local dealers, the on line retailers I buy from are Texas Precious Metals, JM Bullion and SD Bullion. Texas PM has minimums though. JM and SD take personal checks and have always been good to deal with. They mail via USPS priority and wait until the check clears. They keep you updated via e-mail as to the status of your order. Never had a problem with any of the 3 I mentioned.

You can set up an account and buy online using several methods of payment. I never use a CC and normally send them a check.

More people need to realize that when you use a CC, the banking system carves that debt up and packages it as other garbage. When more people start to use cash as payment, and pay off their CC debt it helps them and screws the banks.

I am all for screwing the banks at this point. They pay zero interest yet will loan out at 3,4,5, 15 % !!! Total scam.

Just don't be surprised if the central banks and other entities continue to try to pressure the PM prices lower...all the while they buy up the physical asset. Just DCA and buy some every month and think long, long term. This is not the stock market or options trading...this is long term capital PRESERVATION. It's not a investment to make money...it's to PROTECT YOURSELF. Have that philosophy and you won't worry about the short term prices swings. Don't even pay attention to them. The PM market will start to get more crazy and the price swings will be more violent ( to both the up side and downside). Stay the course ! But NEVER put all your eggs in one basket. Me, I am 30-35% allocated to PM's. Up from about 10-15%...but I won't go more than 50%. Some people went all in at the top and are just waiting for gold to get back to $1900 and silver in the $35-40 range and they will cash out. So if we approach those numbers, don't be surprised if there is another correction.
February 21, 2015 07:23PM
Well, I see that this thread is quickly going to track to the bottom of the page, so I will slip another question in there before it does: Is it possible, with diligent research and steady, intelligent, detecting, to develop at least a small 'portfolio' (I don't get to use that word alot, so I'll use it here) of silver (and the rare gold piece)???? I have found many silver coins while detecting but when I hold them all in my hand, they don't feel heavy. lol But then, I have sort of been mainly a relic hunter. But I DO love to see that glint of silver in the hole......as long as it's not a sliver of aluminum.
Anyway, it's OFF to the Huddle House for my weekly dose of cholesterol. I like to carry my Kindle reader and drink decaf, eat, and read. Back soon! lol
February 21, 2015 08:35PM
The Rover61, I made my last post before I read your last post. That is some genuinely good info and I appreciate it!!!! There's alot of good folks on this forum. You are definitely one of them!!! And I fully appreciate all the feedback from my other fellow forum members. Thanks!!!!!!!!! Hope everyone has an unusually GREAT year while at detecting!!!!! I am ITCHING to get to go again!!! My yard is now almost a lake!!! Really!! It looks like Reelfoot Lake!!! lol Have a great Saturday guys. It's a great day to break out an old book: I am in the middle of "All Creatures Great and Small" by James Herriot. It's a DANDY!!!!! Ta-Ra! (as they say in upper England) (I think)....
February 21, 2015 08:44PM
I have been buying silver eagles from silver.com lately. Cheapest around. Good service. I feel eagles will be easy to sell. Nothing wrong with junk silver or bars either. Good move Kevin. Also have to think about when to sell. Silver should be an excellent investment to hold 2-7 years? Probably not 20 years. When the price does spike up big time, sell some or all.
February 21, 2015 08:53PM
Try Blanchards in New Orleans.
February 21, 2015 10:16PM
I have had a good experience with silvertowne.
February 21, 2015 11:07PM
Here is a site that I use when selling scrap silver coins. gives you a update value by coin type.

[www.coinflation.com]

Tom in SC
February 22, 2015 12:28AM
Hey Kevin, Provident Metals has been quite good to me on prices and quick shipping, they take several forms of payment. One thing to consider is if we go into "barter mode" in this country (worst case scenario) I think that the pre-64 junk silver would be the "money" to have, dimes, quarters and halves are what I concentrate on. Dollars are quite a bit over "spot" so I tend to avoid them. Gold is nice but they could also outlaw it like they did in the "30's ", and with that thought too are you willing to give up an ounce for say a couple of chickens? Silver rounds are good but after seeing how the Chinese counterfeit them (on e-bay) I don't buy them anymore. Like a friend of mine says silver and gold are only good going into and coming out of the "crucible", in between it is "beans and bulllets" !
February 22, 2015 01:31AM
Great time to start.I use PSLV,it's kind of like an etf,it's not physical,but pretty convenient.
February 22, 2015 01:51AM
I use APMEX Kevin,check em out. Hey,they even sent me a tub of gourmet popcorn for Christmas,lol.
February 22, 2015 02:09AM
Don't forget the best way to acquire silver, at well below spot price. (My prefered method!!)

Great onfo on here on this thread.

What was once impossible..... is now easy and obvious. BUT.......... if : You don't know...what you don't know........ it continues to appear/look impossible.
-Thomas Dankowski
February 22, 2015 02:37AM
Just remember there are counterfeit silver dollars from China, they look real good but a magnet will stick to some. I think some of the later ones are made of white brass and a magnet will not stick. Buy from a trusted dealer. Stick.
February 22, 2015 03:10AM
Funny this topic came up. I just (2 days ago) ordered my first 10 one oz silver bars. I guess all this weather has like minded individuals losing their minds (or facing a certain reality) in a like minded way. I have been doing Internet research on this very topic myself. Nice to know I am in good company.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 08:22AM by capt..
February 22, 2015 03:28AM
Tech manufacturing uses silver,when it gets going it will push it up.Hopefully it's at its lows or near.
February 22, 2015 04:33AM
Wow guys, this is all awesome info. I AM going to invest in a roll or stack of Morgan dollars and, while prices are low, try to add to them with some regularity. Silver is within my price reach!!!!! I mean, it just does NOT seem to want to go down any further. The next best thing would be to buy a several thousand gallon gasoline tank and fill it with gasoline (not the 10% ethanol CRAP) and sit on that for a while.... Of course, I am kidding, but it seems that gasoline has steadily risen since I was a child. But then, so has everything else.
Heck, I don't wanna seem like a copy cat, but I might start looking into a good deep coin getter. Maybe a used Etrac. Is the CTX3030 deeper than the Etrac? Or about the same? Anyone know? I know that I have owned two Etracs and I found silver with BOTH of them. The first one I had.....I found my first Barber quarter. It was, like.......1902. It had been buried in that one place SO LONG that a PERFECT duplicate was in the clod that it was in. There was a black patina still on the soil!!! I though that I had found two coins instead of one! Boy howdy, that was a grand day for me to be sure! Never forget it.
But guys, I appreciate all of the good silver sellers/buyers that y'all suggested. I will be doing some phone calling on Monday. I'm going to try to fill my plastic Yogurt container (it's filled with pocket change but I am going to cash it in and use it to help purchase some silver!!! Heck, this might branch out into a new hobby! Since my relic sites are starting to dry up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2015 04:35AM by Kevin B.
February 27, 2015 10:59PM
[kingworldnews.com]

We should be seeing price appreciation soon, as the price manipulation should end. Back to supply and demand pricing. No more paper gold setting the price for the real thing.