Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Woods detecting, halo effect, and VDI numbers(ctx 3030 and maybe other machines).

Posted by Beyonder-Pa 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Woods detecting, halo effect, and VDI numbers(ctx 3030 and maybe other machines).
February 27, 2015 05:35PM
Whenever I hunt the woods, I noticed my conductive VDI numbers are much different then in a grass field(in 7 inches or more depth). VDI conductive number difference(first number listed is in the field):

Wheat cents 40-41 in woods 34-38
Indians 31-32 in woods 23-29
Nickels 13-14 in woods 9-12
Silver dimes 45 in woods 41-43
Silver quarters 47 in woods 44-46

So why the difference? It has to do with the halo effect(Ionic field around a metal target). Woods soil is very organic and acidic. This organic, loose soil, causes the ions in the halo to be more dispersed. This halo in the organic soil is not as strong as one that is in a field and produces a weaker signal. Another factor is the coins are more deteriorated by the acids in this organic soil.

So what can we take away from this while hunting in the woods?

Conductive VDI numbers will be skewed.
Targets will be a little harder to pin-point.
If used, discrimination must be re-evaluated.
Slower swing speeds are needed.
Very low conductors will be very difficult to find if they are deep.
If iron is present, due to the acidic nature of the soil, there will be more masking and falsing.

Bey
I think the layers of decaying leaves might be causing you the issue. When you are out in the woods, take your foot and clear the layer of leaves away. See if you get the same number as in the grass.

"A Bird in the hand, is worth two in the bush"
Re: Woods detecting, halo effect, and VDI numbers(ctx 3030 and maybe other machines).
March 01, 2015 05:04AM
Tony from Tidewater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the layers of decaying leaves might be
> causing you the issue. When you are out in the
> woods, take your foot and clear the layer of
> leaves away. See if you get the same number as in
> the grass.

yea thats the first thing I do but thats not what this post is about.