Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Unmasking T2/F75 vs MXT a very interesting result

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Unmasking T2/F75 vs MXT a very interesting result
March 25, 2015 12:32AM
Ok - it is raining and like any good board detectorist I was playing around with detectors to see what I could learn. To help make the videos I posted on another post, I was comparing features of the T2 to F75, I had taped two pennies on a ruler one on each side laying flat against the ruler. I would swing the ruler over the coil to show the vid for the videos. The coins where on edge to the coil face.

So fast forward to today. I wanted to check out the ferrous discrimination of the T2 and my MXT. First I wanted to see what happened by dialing in discrimination so the iron would be right on the edge of being discriminated. First up was the MXT - It was in relic mode with two tones. I dialed the discrimination back until the MXT made a high tone when I swang the small rusty nail over the coil - VDI was about -36. I then changed discrimination so the iron was crackling on a low tone when I swang it over the coil.

Next I repeated the same thing on the T2 - the difference is if the number was too high the T2 would not sound on iron. So I adjusted it so It was just getting a spark of a low tone when the iron was passed over the coil.

So now both detectors are set to just barley discriminate a small nail. So next I decide to see what happens if I place the small nail on the bottom edge of the ruler so you have penny on edge flat against the ruler, the a small rusty nail on top small edge of ruler the another penny on edge flat against the other side of the ruler. So penny on edge - rusty nail just above and to right of penny the another penny flat and to left on other side of ruler.

So my expectation was that the small rusty nail would mask both pennies when ruler was swung with penny on edge in relation to coil. Remember all the coil is seeing is thin edge of a pennies directly on either side of a rusty nail. The T2 lived up to my expectation and was completely masked by the two pennies. All I heard and all that showed on VID was a rusty nail.

Next up was my MXT. I really expected the same result but to my surprise as the ruler approached the edge of the coil I was clearly able to hear both the coins on edge and the rusty nail. Even as I moved the zinc and rusty nail away from the detector the sounds became faint but I could still hear both the iron and the zinc pennies

No matter which process or tone I used with the T2, it could not see those coins with a rusty nail closer to coil then pennies. If I turned the ruler so the face of the coins faced coil then I could pick up the penny sound and VID with no or minimal iron sound.

The MXT, at least in this example,was the better unmasker. The old girl showed up the new kid on the block. Way to go girl.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Unmasking T2/F75 vs MXT a very interesting result
March 25, 2015 12:46AM
Hey Bryanna glad your testing out the units..

also try this...take the MXT and put a nail out about 8-9 inches inches form the coin and swing normal across the nail then to the coin all in one sweep..

do the same test with the T2 ...

the MXT is better at blending the co-locates the T2 will be better at recovery speeds but not blending..

I know on my nail deck the MXT wont pass that till 4x6 is used then its iffy... but the T2 will..T2 takes more snapshots..too a point...the MXT takes less snapshots but blends more...both will have advantages...

they both will see differently...

Keith

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 25, 2015 01:20AM
I deffently hear the blending with this experiment. I think you are right the T2/F75 do not blend. I know the T2 is very good at telling about targets very close to each other. Do not think MXT is near as fast. Put it in FA mode and it is really good at separation. But in some ways you would think this experiment was a separation issue but it was not.

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Bryanna glad your testing out the units..
>
> also try this...take the MXT and put a nail out
> about 8-9 inches inches form the coin and swing
> normal across the nail then to the coin all in one
> sweep..
>
> do the same test with the T2 ...
>
> the MXT is better at blending the co-locates the
> T2 will be better at recovery speeds but not
> blending..
>
> I know on my nail deck the MXT wont pass that till
> 4x6 is used then its iffy... but the T2 will..T2
> takes more snapshots..too a point...the MXT takes
> less snapshots but blends more...both will have
> advantages...
>
> they both will see differently...
>
> Keith
>
> Keith

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
March 25, 2015 01:33AM
Bryanna,
Try this experiment. Put your F75 in one tone. Get a real small something. And get something about twice as big. Sweep both, close your eyes and try to keep coil swing speed consistent. See if you in fact can tell by the tone's duration which one is bigger. I think you may be surprised at the results. This tone once started has to finish its cycle before it can report again. This is a weakness when it comes to separation. Seems the newer technology is able to give tone in shorter durations and allow the detector to notify the user another target is near.
March 25, 2015 03:19AM
Bryanna,

There is a big difference on the MXT, between relic mode and C&J mode. The difference is that the detector's firmware uses a faster SAT speed in C&J mode
than it does in Relic mode. You may want to re-run your experiment with the MXT in Coin & Jewelry mode and note the difference.
March 25, 2015 03:29AM
Very good thread. I have never owned an MXT but I'm sure that one is in the future. Good information. Thanks Bryannagirl.
March 25, 2015 04:40AM
Rudy, I did try the coin and jewelry mode and got the blend but it was better in Relic but the tones are different. So I am not sure it was an even comparison. Need iron audio which you get in multi tone but the mid tone for the good target was not as clear as with relic two tone. But that could just be my ears.

I will try and put together a video tomorrow some times a picture helps.

The T2 and F75 audio always sounded sharp and to the point where the MXT audio is a bit more drawn out but also fuller sounding.

The ability to separate targets vs the ability to respond to more then one target at a time - this rainy day is helping me to see these as two separate but important characteristics. My guess is that the T2 can see two targets very close - but when they are too close it sounds off on the closests one ( at least it seems that way more experimenting to tell for sure). The MXT is not quite as machine gun fast but it seems to be able to blend targets enough to give some intelligence the T2 does not provide.

Kind of like the MXT can keep the sound gate open for one target while gating on another. The T2 is one at a time. Or here is another analogy - for you piano players - the T2 is playing one note after another but with the Dampner pedal pushed. The MXT is doing the same with the sustain pedal. In the first example the notes are very distinct and dampen quickly. The other the notes blend but each note is not as clear or pronounced.

Kevin B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very good thread. I have never owned an MXT but
> I'm sure that one is in the future. Good
> information. Thanks Bryannagirl.

Bryanna - Nebraska