Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Been playing with the Gold Bug SE today and somethings not right

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Been playing with the Gold Bug SE today and somethings not right
June 16, 2010 10:50PM
Although it does ground balance quicker than any detector I have ever seen one push of the coil to the soil and shes balanced even in 3 bar iron 80 dirt...

Now for the no so good news...and yes I have tried both coils and different disc settings and different ground balance setting from 40 to 90..And the problem is on high conductors quarter and above it will only hit one way sometimes a few times on the first pass it wont hear the quarter.. move up to a 50 cent piece and it gets noticeably worse then a silver dollar is hit and miss for sure?????????

it will hit say 3 4 times then its gone for a pass then its back and it only does it on the quarter's and above...

anyone else seeing this..Wish I had a video camera this would blow your mind if you could see it.. someone else test theirs on high conductors like quarters and up even at different height's( it will do it from 1 inch to 8 inches) do a few sweeps and see if it dosen't vanish?

Keith
Re: Been playing with the Gold Bug SE today and somethings not right
June 17, 2010 01:09AM
Hmmmmmm. This sounds familiar.
Here's some video's I made with the Gold Bug SE
June 17, 2010 04:16AM
not the best of quality since it's made with my cell phone...But you get the idea ..[www.youtube.com]

Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 04:18AM by Keith Southern.
June 17, 2010 05:27AM
There go my hopes.
Keith, have contacted Fisher yet?
June 17, 2010 12:50PM
Does it act the same way with the small coil?

Scully
June 17, 2010 01:04PM
Hey, that is a good question Scully?
June 17, 2010 02:59PM
How's it do on brass and lead? ie relics

Julien
@ of the Video's are with the samll coil Scully!
June 17, 2010 03:18PM
and yes it acts the same way!!

Keith
Look at the video's on the side of my youtube page
June 17, 2010 03:20PM
jbow and theres one showing a eagle button and a Enfield brass butt plate it hits the Eagle button perfect and solid but the butt plate wont sound off but one time in multiple sweeps!

Keith
June 17, 2010 03:24PM
I would think that is the wrap effect we all heard about but dont believe in when we detect.

Doesnt have to be anything wrong with the detector. It happens with others too, but maybe not so often that you notice it. Personally i think i have passed many high conductive objects due to the fact You now see so clearly. But as Tom also say again and again. What do you care, you never knew.

The Etrac also suffer a bit here I have heard. Suffer is the word when users notice it, not when you get a iron grunt while detecting. Cause you never knew.

I am still interested in knowing the response to micro gold and recovery speed.

Thats where I want the machine to be excellent.
Re: Look at the video's on the side of my youtube page
June 17, 2010 03:30PM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jbow and theres one showing a eagle button and a
> Enfield brass butt plate it hits the Eagle button
> perfect and solid but the butt plate wont sound
> off but one time in multiple sweeps!
>
> Keith

That is odd... since the Tejon is close to the frequency of the GBSE I wonder how it compares. I know it has no problem with a quarter, half, or dollar.
Maybe Fisher should look at making a dual frequency detector combining the Omega and the GB witha software that will default to whichever frequency is hitting strongest... since the coils already work on both machines, but I don't know if it would be possible... I only change the batteries.

J
June 17, 2010 04:57PM
How does the detector do at what it is designed for.

Nuggets and very low conductors.

Sensitivity to smallest possible, depth to smallest possible and fastest recovery speed in iron.
Talked with Mike Scott and he said some of the units (Gold Bug SE)
June 17, 2010 06:17PM
were not aligned properly to a ferrite sample.. So there must be an internal ground balance setting in the machine? any how they are now aware and can fix the problem with a simple tweak..

You know if a machine can hit on a small piece of gold it ought to at least hot on a piece of large silver .. or it's not working to it's fullest capacity..On another note will some of the performance people are seeing on low conductors drop off with the upper conduct range tweak ?

I will add that the Gold Bug is a very stable machine even wide open 100 gain setting...

Keith southern
Re: Talked with Mike Scott and he said some of the units (Gold Bug SE)
June 17, 2010 07:08PM
Well, its good to know that there was a pretty quick turn around on identifying and solving the problem. Keith..thanks for putting yourself out there and testing the GB and finding things out. I am still getting one and can't wait to try it out.

JC
June 17, 2010 08:37PM
I was talking with Roy earlier on the phone. He called re: this post and we were wondering if there might be an internal pot of some kind that might be adjusted. Then again it may just be that it is just designed to find low conductors... i'll be interested to see what you find out. I'd like to see it sometime. I just unpacked my new Omega!!

Julien
June 17, 2010 11:21PM
Glad Mike Scott & FTP are working with you on the unit. This would be a VERY easy thing/area to overlook in engineering world.........as the 'focus' would be on low conductors......and no thought would ever be given to test a silver quarter or silver dollar.
Re: Here's some video's I made with the Gold Bug SE
June 18, 2010 01:41AM
The video says it all.
I'm sure Fisher will make it right.

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> not the best of quality since it's made with my
> cell phone...But you get the idea
> ..[www.youtube.com]
>
> Keith