Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Food for thought

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Food for thought
March 29, 2015 03:52AM
I see lots of air tests or ground tests with a nail and coin or two nails and a coin in the middle...if you listen to the sound, you hear the iron and a blip for the coin but you can hear the higher tone...So when we hunt and we get this same sound how many dig these targets...You get a mix of iron and then a mixed hi tone. You can't really isolate the coin but because we know from the test it is there we are reacting to the video thinking..."The detector sees the coin"...But in the ground with all sorts of minerals and flakes of iron or trash...how many walk away? I see on a lot of UK videos when they don't get a nice tone they walk away and say it's iron not worth digging. I have dug more iffy targets mixed in with iron on my deus and have found some nice relics....what are your thoughts...?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
Re: Food for thought
March 29, 2015 03:58AM
Ahh the lights are starting to turn on now lawrenzo!!

yes learn the QUALITY of the blips and you will dig more...dont ignore noise pay attention to noise..

eventually you will beocme one with constant erratic blips and pops and burps etc...then the goodies stand out from the NOISE..

but to an untrained hunter the NOISE all sounds the same...

The right equipment helps your realize success as an added factor..eventually you'll learn what type unit's to use to get the NOISE to make sense.....

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 29, 2015 04:43AM
I'm still running the F75 and the new upgraded on my camo model. I have dug in the last 5 years 5 gold one dollars coins in hunted out early civil war camps. My hunt buddie dug 2 $1 gold coins in a week in one old camp with the 2 gen F75's using this method. My average on those iffy sounds is running about 70% on Iron and non ferrious together. I run the 75 at what ever sens I can use, 4h and I'm in boost mode or switch to default with ( 0 ) disc.My last gold $ was in a somewhat bed of small ammo box nails , the coin was only 5 " deep but was sourrounded with the small nails, but I could still get a non ferrous tone with all the grunts. All I need is a mix tone of the iron grunt and any other tone in the swing. This doesn't mean you have to have a repeatable signal just as long as you can circle the target while swinging the dd coil and get two tones ( low and another pitch sound.) It will take you some time to develop your ear but it is worth digging the iffy ones. I haven't been on the Fisher site but at one time I wrote an article on hunting the hunted out civil war sites. If it is still there you can read that also. Good Luck and dig the iffys and you may just get a surprize..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2015 04:50AM by LiL John.
March 29, 2015 09:29AM
You gradually wear down a site. I'm always amazed how much "large Iron", Iron tone and High tone, people tend to leave behind.
Just about any known Roman site still contains these signals and I like to dig large Iron.

When I'm cherry picking and have a smallish coil, I use the beach hunters pinpoint method.
If you get a mixed low/high tone, switch to Pinpoint and imagine target size and shape.

Large signals I tend to leave behind, smallish signals get dug.

Anyway, it's all about the day and the amount of digging you want to do.

HH
Johnb
March 29, 2015 10:29AM
I have watched many detecting videos where I would have at least investigated some of the tones I hear coming from their detectors.
March 29, 2015 10:54AM
Frequency, detector settings, chosen coil, swing speed, mineralisation, soil contamination, etc.... yes, all of them had a word to say in the 'world' of iffy signals, but in the end the just one counts: experience. The better we understand the detector language, less iffy signals we'll find. But in doubt dig it out.
March 29, 2015 12:08PM
Like Johnb said certainly
March 29, 2015 02:23PM
Seems like fancy meters graphs and such are the rage of most detectorists, unfortunately depending on the detector audio variances is where its at and those that learn them well surely excel.
Some call it an educated ear, experience or whatever but whatever they call it....certainly it exists....