Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Should folks who review detectors and receive compensation in some form or another,

Posted by Detectorist 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Should folks who review detectors and receive compensation in some form or another,
March 30, 2015 04:41AM
disclose that fact?

I suspect that various reviewers have, in fact, received some type of compensation from Makro/Nokta. They give free stuff to reviewers. It's on their web page, as a matter of fact.
Ive never hiddin the fact that they gave me a Racer..

I even offered to return it...I was just happy to use it and offer my input...

But I have a pre-production..Buyers will have a production..Who comes out better?

I would not say good thing's to get a free machine it only hurts all of us in the long run......HECK they're not free...some units I have to work my tail off to test and write reports on for the engineers...if I worked by the hour I would rather be paid than get the detector.I could then by three of same unit.

But I love doing it..But I would not talk about a unit if its not worth talking about..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 05:02AM by Keith Southern.
I know where you are coming from. There have been a number of reviews over the years I put in the category of "pump and dump". However I think other reviewers have maintained a level of trust that is earned over years and lost in a minute. The cream rises to the top. If a reviewer gets more than a machine or two, maybe a trip to a trade show or gathering, so what? I don't view it any different that people that review new cars and are compensated by check or maybe use of a car for a while for their time.

Edit-additional thoughts
If there is one area of irritation for me it is with certain dealers. No mater what machine you might call them on all you hear is "oh yeah, that XYZ machine is the best thing out there". Yet other dealers I have bought from will have an honest conversation with you about pros and cons and your own needs. Also in the case of the Racer, reviewers had pre-production units, found some issues and publicly addressed them in forums and videos. The factory in turn publicly acknowledged some issues and even delayed delivery to address them. That is about as transparent as I have ever seen and in turn gains the trust of customers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2015 05:48AM by TabWhisperer.
My 2 cents worth. I look at it like this. There are good doctors and bad doctors. Good lawyers and bad lawyers. There are probably even good detector reviewers/testers and bad detector reviewers/testers. I think Keith is a good one. NASA Tom too. Steve Herschbach as well. I'll take my chances with them. I think Keith has been very open. Folks making videos it aint easy and can be difficult. A lot of time too. Is the detecting public better off with the work Keith and NASA Tom did with the Makro Racer??? I think so. I could really care less about what compensation they received. I just want the facts from these experts on detector performance. And don't forget the post/threads they put on the forum aren't done with a magic wand either. NASA Tom has put some very long/technical/thoughtful threads/post here. I love em too. I appreciate all the work and interest they all show/contribute to the hobby. We should feel very fortunate.
Re: Should folks who review detectors and receive compensation in some form or another,
March 30, 2015 06:33AM
It is actually simple. This privately funded/run board is not consumer reports or Angie list. It is a group of seriously talented people sharing knowledge you cannot find ANYWHERE else. I am grateful I get to learn and occasionally contribute. If for any reason you do not Trust something that was said please use your freedom to delete your user, but don't hint at disparaging or questioning unless you have done your own testing. And if someone was able to test early, of course a unit was Sent early by manufacturer.
if it is a unit you want, buy it according to manufacturers specs and be happy with it.
I understand and agree with you.

TabWhisperer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know where you are coming from. There have been
> a number of reviews over the years I put in the
> category of "pump and dump". However I think
> other reviewers have maintained a level of trust
> that is earned over years and lost in a minute.
> The cream rises to the top. If a reviewer gets
> more than a machine or two, maybe a trip to a
> trade show or gathering, so what? I don't view it
> any different that people that review new cars and
> are compensated by check or maybe use of a car for
> a while for their time.
>
> Edit-additional thoughts
> If there is one area of irritation for me it is
> with certain dealers. No mater what machine you
> might call them on all you hear is "oh yeah, that
> XYZ machine is the best thing out there". Yet
> other dealers I have bought from will have an
> honest conversation with you about pros and cons
> and your own needs. Also in the case of the
> Racer, reviewers had pre-production units, found
> some issues and publicly addressed them in forums
> and videos. The factory in turn publicly
> acknowledged some issues and even delayed delivery
> to address them. That is about as transparent as
> I have ever seen and in turn gains the trust of
> customers.
Re: Should folks who review detectors and receive compensation in some form or another,
March 30, 2015 09:42AM
They may call it free, when in fact it is not. Work/Review = Product....an exchange.
It is a given on this forum that Tom D. and Keith are good and trusted sources. By 'given' I mean they earned/worked for it,...... gained our trust.
I would hope they received at least a unit for their work. Imo, they should also have the option to trade the pre-production unit for the final product.
What the oz said.
We have two choices. Let the consumer at large test drive the detectors. Let unbiased select people test drive them. Some of the select people/members here have ran detectors more than probably half the members here total hour wise by themselves. Now a test drive isn't worth a crap if you don't respond to the select people while they are running the machines for a company. The key factor here is these are real true detectorist that do this as a service to us the detectorist at large but wanting to get a better machine in their hands also to compliment their desire to find/ unlock more finds. Now, what do you have in your wallet? Hard earned cash to spend on a commercial by someone, or cash to spend on something that works? You have to realize that peoples reputations ride on these test drives with them. You decide, I know who I'm gonna listen too when I spend my dollars....................
Rod-PA Wrote:
> It is actually simple. This privately funded/run
> board is not consumer reports or Angie list. It
> is a group of seriously talented people sharing
> knowledge you cannot find ANYWHERE else. I am
> grateful I get to learn and occasionally
> contribute. If for any reason you do not Trust
> something that was said please use your freedom to
> delete your user, but don't hint at disparaging or
> questioning unless you have done your own testing.
> And if someone was able to test early, of course
> a unit was Sent early by manufacturer.
> if it is a unit you want, buy it according to
> manufacturers specs and be happy with it.
Lets add the BBB to the list. For years they have tried to extort money from me in exchange for an A rating. That's right! For about $480 a year businesses can buy their rating. One time they told me that "if" I pay they will have "favorable" things to say and write about my company. Folks don't fall for BBB's ratings. The BBB is NOT a government ran program. It is a private business. Sometimes customers ask me if I'm a member of the BBB when I bid their work? Thanks to the internet now they can see for themselves when I drop the bomb on them... Sorry just had to vent. I would rather trust a fellow detectorist than most anyone else...
March 30, 2015 12:53PM
Khouse..AMEN!!! i just recently told them to stick it. BBB is a joke.
March 30, 2015 01:24PM
Amen on BBB. They tried to extort from me also.
March 30, 2015 02:40PM
I feel if you get a service no matter what you pay the mechanic or carpenter etc . Indeed the tester should be compensated not to mention all the free info given to individual members...
Hi,,,,....."Nothing's free in Waterworld".............JJ
March 30, 2015 03:26PM
I was given the detector I tested and was put in a detecting magazine for some of my finds...that seems like a fair price to me for my services

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
If you are asking, should they be compensated on their review/testing? Absolutely! If you are asking can the compensation taint the review? It can happen. That is where the trouble comes in. As the consumer, you have to trust the review and to trust them, you have to know them to a certain extent.

The most deceptive ones are the guys on youtuube(spelled wrong on purpose) that appear to be just an average guy, but are really a dealer wholesaler. They have the amateur camera and seem like they are just a guy out detecting, or testing a new model in their home, but they have an agenda to sell.

Bey
Bey: The utube videos are my main concern. I don't care what someone is paid, but the ethical thing to do is to disclose it. Just my opinion.

I would especially like those folks who are dealers on utube to disclose that fact.

Just me.

Beyonder-Pa Wrote:
> If you are asking, should they be compensated on
> their review/testing? Absolutely! If you are
> asking can the compensation taint the review? It
> can happen. That is where the trouble comes in. As
> the consumer, you have to trust the review and to
> trust them, you have to know them to a certain
> extent.
>
> The most deceptive ones are the guys on
> youtuube(spelled wrong on purpose) that appear to
> be just an average guy, but are really a dealer
> wholesaler. They have the amateur camera and seem
> like they are just a guy out detecting, or testing
> a new model in their home, but they have an agenda
> to sell.
>
> Bey
I think maybe we the users of this site should be paying the top notch reviewers we have on this site. There advise is worth millions. I am sure glad they work for praise, and joy of the hobby because I can not afford a million of anything.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Testers are like mechanics....... doesnt take long to see whose blowing smoke. I mean if you are the only guy that can get a machine to work or you show U-Tube videos that are shall we say unbelievable you in no way HELP sell them. You just bring more questions and people shy away from putting down hard earned money if they have any questions now days. We tend to wait until we get the real scoop months later. Those who have a reputation sell detectors...... and at the end of the day dont sell your reputation, its hard to get back. For me id just like them to start their review by..... i tested this machine FOR said company.

Dew
March 31, 2015 01:19PM
Yes.

Thru the years I have driven thousands of miles, put gas in my car, eaten many a lunch out and have even stayed in HOtels overnite...in order to get a Field Test completed over many weeks / months.
Payment for a Field Test Report by either the manufacturer or a publisher is a small price to pay for all of that. Payment can be accepted in an 'up front' deal to be allowed keep a particular machine tested.
Sell it when done or keep it, entirely up to the tester.
I won't even talk about all the time trouble costs involved in producing YouTube videos for all to watch for free!!
The rule of video is 3 hours work for every finished minute you see...

Just my 2c worth...
Des D Wrote:
> Yes.
>
> Thru the years I have driven thousands of miles,
> put gas in my car, eaten many a lunch out and have
> even stayed in HOtels overnite...in order to get a
> Field Test completed over many weeks / months.
> Payment for a Field Test Report by either the
> manufacturer or a publisher is a small price to
> pay for all of that. Payment can be accepted in an
> 'up front' deal to be allowed keep a particular
> machine tested.
> Sell it when done or keep it, entirely up to the
> tester.
> I won't even talk about all the time trouble costs
> involved in producing YouTube videos for all to
> watch for free!!
> The rule of video is 3 hours work for every
> finished minute you see...
>
> Just my 2c worth...

The question wasn't whether you should be paid or not.... Andy?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 02:25PM by Detectorist.