Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

does anyone feel there racer overloads to much

Posted by coinranger 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
does anyone feel there racer overloads to much
March 30, 2015 10:26PM
It will even overload on a small nail....more in 2 tone...first trip out with it in iron infested sight..a lot of overloading sounds and seemed to false quit a bit..just wondering if anyone else has the same experience..
Re: does anyone feel there racer overloads to much
March 30, 2015 11:40PM
Hi,,,,from what I have read and I also had some communication with other people this is the way these machines work....I seem some videos also and noticed that they got a lot of overload signals too....I don't think they can be used in certain areas if there's a lot of surface or near surface items with out hearing a lot of over load signals....I'm still on the fence about getting one of these machines....The more I see and hear about these machines the less I want one....Good luck.....JJ
March 30, 2015 11:49PM
It could be a bad coil. Seems that a few bad 11" DD coils got out that cause the Racer to easily overload, and if you push the sensitivity too high (like something north of 70) it overloads. Easily resolved when Makro sends you a new replacement coil.
March 30, 2015 11:54PM
Hi Brian,,,If he does have a bad coil that would be a high ratio of bad coils....I have heard of others that had this same complaint........JJ
March 30, 2015 11:57PM
Not so sure this overload problem is from bad coils.---It seems to be the nature of the beast.
March 31, 2015 12:05AM
Hi,,,yeah I agree on the beast...I got a lot of places where I know the overload signal would drive me crazy cause it would be going off all the time........JJ
March 31, 2015 12:08AM
Thats the way it runs...

Its a high gain unit...

Its looking for small items and still using a mid freq...

You lift the coil when does it and rescan...

At first its the first thing that jumps out at you when running it ..

after awhile it will become NORMAL to your senses...

machine is as hot as a Gold machine on small stuff yet punches well on bigger items too like high coins....

Sort of a modern day MXT amped up..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 31, 2015 12:17AM
Don't overlook what the User Guide tells us on Page 6:

"...swing the search coil right and left maintaining 5cm (2" ) distance above the ground."

I only get overload signals in two cases:

1. When I scan right on the surface (not 2" over it) and there is surface metal, or
2. When I'm scanning over a really large metal object (soda can, etc.) and my coil is
at least 2" off the ground.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 12:26AM by TallTom.
March 31, 2015 12:24AM
I like both my CoRe and Racer units. I've hunted in some real bad nails/iron. No problems. Small coil is a sniffer of a setup on either detector. Stock coil deserves respect too in both depth and separation. The overloads I get occasionally, no worries. After a couple hours of using one of the units, it becomes second nature to handle/manage. I don't even think about it when I'm using the unit now.
March 31, 2015 12:27AM
Hi TSS,,,,Do you play video games?........LoL.............JJ
March 31, 2015 12:34AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats the way it runs...
>
> Its a high gain unit...
>
> Its looking for small items and still using a mid
> freq...
>
> You lift the coil when does it and rescan...
>
> At first its the first thing that jumps out at you
> when running it ..
>
> after awhile it will become NORMAL to your
> senses...
>
> machine is as hot as a Gold machine on small stuff
> yet punches well on bigger items too like high
> coins....
>
> Sort of a modern day MXT amped up..
>
> Keith

Well-------Each to his own, I guess.-------but this overload thing is the very thing (MAIN thing) why I decided against getting a Racer.-----I'm sure my decision won't break the company! ha ha------I'll just stick to my sweetheart F-19 & Deus---I don't think I will get left VERY far in the dust! smiling smiley
March 31, 2015 12:36AM
I can see overload on a soda can...but small nails and such??/...might have to try taming it down a bit..we'll see tomorrow
March 31, 2015 12:38AM
No JJ, I actually hate video games. All I will say the Racer will lock on to a coin in trash or iron like a duck on a June bug. Good TID too unless the coin is heavily surrounded by iron, but tone nonetheless. If you have some old polluted sites the Racer to me is a must have for coins or relics. So simple to operate yet deadly. My unit aint going nowhere. It will stay with me.
March 31, 2015 12:39AM
That's right DEL...

Talk yourself out of it... LOL!!!!

Curiosity alwasy wins out in the end..

Repeat after me: I dont need a new unit ....I dont need a new unit...!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
March 31, 2015 12:43AM
small nails should not cause much of a problem unless there right on the surface ..usually small nails are not a problem unless right at the coil..

When you airtest does a small nail casue an overload ??

can you do a video if need be Sir?

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
March 31, 2015 12:43AM
Hi TSS,,,okay send me one to try out and let me be the judge..........JJ
March 31, 2015 12:55AM
I got lucky getting my unit. Someone backed out of a preorder. For the $$$$ they have a place I think in any serious detectorist's arsenal, be it relic hunting or coin hunting. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary!!
March 31, 2015 01:22AM
The Racer does overload easly compared to other detectors.
It was a little weird at first but you quickly get used to it.
I'm a coil dragger letting the coil glide on top of the ground and have no problems.
Surface coins scream out and I have grown to like it.
It helps me with gauging depth and size of targets. Like Keith said this is a high gain unit and I love it.
I hope they don't turn it down because of overload complaints to where it would lose its depth.
It is no doubt the deepest detector I have owned as far as coin detecting in my area.
March 31, 2015 01:46AM
You got that right Dont mess with the gain...

just pick your coil up a couple of inches...

Know when to scrub Know when to airgap....the site will dictate...

Most of my sites are covered in pinestraw or vegetation or even thick grass...so I dont have too many problems unless its a big item... but still its not a problem it s a different approach to hunting a site...

its a very strong unit...

treat it as such..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
March 31, 2015 02:06AM
You can really lift that coil and get a good hit I think that's maybe the air gap for the racer and that is good for being in the woods with dead weeds and the leaves and so on...I think if you trun down the gain you will still have great depth

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 03:23PM by Lawrenzo.
March 31, 2015 03:04AM
I have learned to cope with overloading in old homesites (that still has large pieces of tin/ large debris). But my unit falses everytime it hits a twig or tree. But, I am learning to cope with that as well.
I can lay a penny on top of the ground and the Racer will overload on it. And then I start lifting the coil until it stops. Doesn't take much. But I DO like the way it punches through the ground and sees lead and brass. But again, my only beef is when I bump a twig or small plant stem while swinging and it sounds off. It makes me re-swing that area to see if it was the twig......or an actual target. Slows me down a bit.....but I noticed that when I go slow.....I find more.
March 31, 2015 05:32AM
Kevin B Wrote:
> I have learned to cope with overloading in old
> homesites (that still has large pieces of tin/
> large debris). But my unit falses everytime it
> hits a twig or tree. But, I am learning to cope
> with that as well.
> I can lay a penny on top of the ground and the
> Racer will overload on it. And then I start
> lifting the coil until it stops. Doesn't take
> much. But I DO like the way it punches through
> the ground and sees lead and brass. But again, my
> only beef is when I bump a twig or small plant
> stem while swinging and it sounds off. It makes me
> re-swing that area to see if it was the
> twig......or an actual target. Slows me down a
> bit.....but I noticed that when I go slow.....I
> find more.

My detector is very stable when I bump things. No false signals.
In fact I hunted for my neighbors lost bracelet today in the woods behind her house.
Very rough terrain. Rocks, trees, branches. I bumped them all.
Maybe check your coil connection at the detector, or maybe your ground balance?
Shouldn't be going off on twigs.
March 31, 2015 10:42AM
Keith Southern Wrote:
> That's right DEL...
>
> Talk yourself out of it... LOL!!!!
>
> Curiosity always wins out in the end..
>
> Repeat after me: I dont need a new unit ....I dont
> need a new unit...!!
>
>
> Keith

Funny schit!

But true!!
March 31, 2015 11:16AM
Quote Keith:"Thats the way it runs...it's a high gain unit"
That's not an excuse. If you design a detector to be capable of resolving weak signals, you should also make it still capable of handling 'normal' strong signals. The fact that this machine struggles with the strong signals suggests to me that some compromises have been made in the design, likely for cost reasons. They may be using an Analogue-to-Digital converter with fewer Bits resolution, for example. Increasing the raw analogue gain can make up for this, but......side effects are:
*Easy overload on regular targets
*Sensitivity to coil characteristics, eg. how well it's nulled (it may need to be better than comparable machines from other manufacturers), how stable the null is (with temperature, in particular, though time may be an issue)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 11:18AM by Pimento.
March 31, 2015 11:34AM
I'm just guessing, but wouldn't this cause the VDi number to be off or inconsistent if the search coil is not nulled to perfection?

Pimento Wrote:
> Quote Keith:"Thats the way it runs...it's a high
> gain unit"
> That's not an excuse. If you design a detector to
> be capable of resolving weak signals, you should
> also make it still capable of handling 'normal'
> strong signals. The fact that this machine
> struggles with the strong signals suggests to me
> that some compromises have been made in the
> design, likely for cost reasons. They may be using
> an Analogue-to-Digital converter with fewer Bits
> resolution, for example. Increasing the raw
> analogue gain can make up for this, but......side
> effects are:
> *Easy overload on regular targets
> *Sensitivity to coil characteristics, eg. how well
> it's nulled (it may need to be better than
> comparable machines from other manufacturers), how
> stable the null is (with temperature, in
> particular, though time may be an issue)
March 31, 2015 11:59AM
"Wouldn't this cause the VDI number to be off, if the coil is not nulled to perfection?"
No, not in the slightest.
NO search-coils are nulled to perfection, not even close, they don't have to be. And if you did null it perfectly, just come back an hour later when it's warmed up by 1 degrees and it won't be nulled perfectly any more.
For info, the null signal from a typical coil is 20-100 times bigger than that of mild ground (dirt), and comparable to that produces by a coin within a couple of inches of the coil. It just gets 'ignored' by the detector, which is looking for changes in signal (eg. by a target appearing below the coil then going away again)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2015 12:07PM by Pimento.
March 31, 2015 12:11PM
Obviously "perfection" was the wrong term to use...
March 31, 2015 12:32PM
Thanks for answering my question. We have some very knowledgeable members on this forum. One of the best forums on the Internet. Thanks Tom for providing everything it takes to keep it going...John
March 31, 2015 12:41PM
'On the Overload function, I actually like it!
Was on site this morning where I have run several others units and there's a lot of iron, but, not too deep as it is tilled regularly: currently lying in stubble.

But, the Overload is quick to cut in and like I said, I like it compared to other units where the Overload function (if they have it) can often take many passes to kick in.
Today, I did a quick 'reccy' of two sites and was more interested in noting the Ground Phase readings.So I just dug the 'normal' signals and walked past the 'overloads', for another day!
As others have said, simply [ lift the coil ] and lower it again and it it keeps overloading, it probably is a large item, iron / can / padlock etc etc.'

Des D
March 31, 2015 01:54PM
I look at it this way. Been running my CoRe for over 4 months now. It overloads the same way. It has helped me size targets more than any machine I've ever had. It also has helped me find targets that were very shallow just by lifting the coil slightly. Where I've been hunting "your best" machines have missed more targets than imaginable, really. The top of the food chain machines. The ones that are like having a wife machines mind you. Those machines that if you say anything negative about them it starts a reply war on a lot of forums. Defending what is conceived to be the best because it cost so much. I love the high gain the Turk machines have. Good lawd they find the goods. What's in the finds bag is what counts for me, nothing else. These machines are definately different from what most are used too. Your finds bag will prove it once we get over the how they don't operate like the other machines. Just took the Racer off my arm, I'm beginning to see it is definately more sparky/hotter seems than the CoRe. That's gonna fill my pouch fuller in my opinion knowing the CoRe. So it looks like some have a decision to make. Learn the slight nuances of the machine or possibly go back to what I've been hunting behind and "your best" machines and leave more for the Turkish machine user to find. I'm very sure anyone after about 50 hours maybe more or less running the machine will silently slide their current wife into the corner and replace it with the one wearing the red dress. This dog will hunt!