Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Fisher 1270 repair?

Posted by Kevin B 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Fisher 1270 repair?
April 01, 2015 05:22PM
I just called Fisher Labs and the customer service man said that they no longer service the Fisher 1270. The 1270 is an incredibly deep unit. It works well for a while and then starts falsing like crazy, even after turning off and then on again. Has anyone sent in a 1270 lately? I might have gotten a new guy on the phone.
Re: Fisher 1270 repair?
April 01, 2015 05:38PM
Hi Kevin,,,,boy it seems like they would still service them,I would call again....If you run across one dirt cheap broken get a hold of me I need some parts for mine...I called them a while back and they wanted an arm & a leg to look at mine....They said if they still had the parts they would fix it, if not it would still be a big charge just to look at it....Good Luck.....JJ
April 01, 2015 06:00PM
I called East Texas Metal Detectors and the man said that they can repair it. So there is one option. I am waiting on my other option to get back to me. East Texas man told me that if the repair was over 100 bucks, that he would call me so that I could make a decision. I tried this unit in my test garden over my 9 and 10 bullets and it pounded on them effortlessly. But this is for a friend. He won't sell it to me....lol.....but he has been kind enough to turn me on to some great hunting......it's the least I can do for him. We always have alot of fun when we hunt. He's a barrel of laughs but is dead serious about relic hunting. This 1270 has found him ALOT of relics!!!!! He's got electrical tape holding the battery cover on. I read on a forum that the battery cover on these units where easy to slip off and get lost. If I ever find me an old 1270......I might just have to buy that thang!!! lol Thanks for the reply. Happy, successful digging!!!! kevin
April 01, 2015 08:44PM
Kevin that sounds like the makings of a bad coil or loose wire in the coil connector. Has he tried another coil on it?
April 01, 2015 10:14PM
Thats seems strange Kevin..they were still in dealer stock back last year...

seems they would service for 5 years...

some of the 1270s had a lifetime warranty to boot..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 01, 2015 11:00PM
One of the most poor ergonomics I ever encountered on any unit.....remake of the 1266 I think not...Now you know why Tesoro has its followers they still have parts and fix 25 year old units....
April 01, 2015 11:18PM
There are pretty explicit laws governing U.S. warranties and warranty reserves (warranty funding). If they offered a 5-year, or lifetime warranty, then the warranty would be in play until the defined period after the last date of sale (end of sale date). That said, if say FT had a stated EOS date of 12/31/2010, but a dealer still had NOS, the FT EOS date would over ride the dealer NOS sale date.

I suspect the person you spoke with was misinformed as many of the people seem to be when you call FT.
April 01, 2015 11:28PM
The 1270 was on their Fisher website in July of 2013 [web.archive.org]

The 1270 was not on their website in August of 2013 [web.archive.org]

So they should have parts till at July 2018 I guess???

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 02, 2015 07:41PM
When I first talked to a Customer Service guy, he said......please get the serial number and let me put you on hold. He then returned and said: "We don't service the 1270 anymore." Which is a crying shame. That unit has found my friend ALOT of relics over the last few years. I clean it up for him and put in some new batteries and try to get it to replicate the 'falsing' issue.
April 02, 2015 07:50PM
FT is NOT a fountain of knowledge. It's strictly hit or miss.
April 02, 2015 09:57PM
When the 1270 came out I gave it two weeks and it never impressed in any way whatsoever.
Probably the worst Fisher I've used!
it's still out in the back...unloved...
April 03, 2015 11:23AM
I got a 1270 years ago thinking it would be an upgraded 1266. It was in many ways but the balance compared to the 1266 was awful. Even though it weighs slightly less than the 1266, it feels much heavier due to the battery pack not being under the cuff. And hunting with the 10.5 spider coil was an arm breaker.
April 03, 2015 10:58PM
I appreciate all the feedback. I was going to fix this unit as a favor to my hunting pal. I called him and explained........but he didn't really want me to do it anyway, He feels that I am noy indebted to him. I just wanted to return a favor to a friend by having his older unit fixed. He uses an upgraded F75SE now........and loves it. He doesn't do internet forums so he is in the dark aout the upgrade and the problems that happened. He's as a happy as can be with his 75. I chose not to burden him with all of the misadventures that I have read about during the upgrade debacle. Good friends are hard to find. This man has been totally unselfish to me and have introduced me to many of his Relic sites. We always have a ball when we go detecting. Laughing.....cuttin up.......but he gets real quiet when he is in that relic 'zone'. I know not to talk to him when he is concentrating. I've told hium about the Forum here but he is satisfied to just relic hunt when he's not working. He is always happy when I dig something good and vice versa. In fact, it pleases me when he hollers out "BUTTON!" as much as if I dig it. One reason that I love this hobby. I enjoy chatting with you guys and gals here, too. Thanks for all the replies.
April 04, 2015 01:03AM
Kevin,

Before you send it anywhere switch the coils and/or batteries. Sounds like a coil?? This just might resolve the issue.

I've had Keith work on many units over the years. He is reasonable and meticulous from my experiences and fair priced. BUT.... don't get in a hurry because it might just take up to 6 months to get it back as he stays swamped...