Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Coil cover question

Posted by 88junior 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Coil cover question
April 02, 2015 10:23AM
Why in the world don't detector manufacturers make coil covers out of a rubber based material? This would prevent chipping or breaking coil covers and also would help in handling some of the impact to the coils when we hit rocks and posts. I bought a cover for my cell phone and it's made out of a rubber type material and it has protected my phone during several drops at work onto a concrete floor.
Re: Coil cover question
April 02, 2015 01:28PM
Weight? Cost? both?
April 02, 2015 01:40PM
Because those molded plastic ones are money makers comes to mind...Would bet they pay pennies on the dollar for the price of most of them....
April 02, 2015 03:13PM
Shelf life issues? Stiff when cold, loose when hot? Easily cut? Not so easy to mould clips, catches etc into the design?
I think they're probably suitable for certain applications, as an alternative option to the stock cover. Rubber-coated plastic might be a more viable idea.
April 02, 2015 03:22PM
The cost would go way up and it may add a bit of extra weight and cause the detector to be nose heavy...and they are cheep and I have never ruined one

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 03, 2015 11:17AM
Doesnt rubber attract more dirt? Also, on the wet sand, a normal slick coil cover will be stopped in its tracks by suction, id suspect rubber would be worse. Rubber requires a lot more constant care or it will get brittle from the sun and salt water. They dont hold their form as well..... so with some of the current out there id suspect you would loose a few. Some rubber like bed liner may have metal flakes to help keep its form...... and then there is the cost.