Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Makro Racer at the Beach - Beach Mode

Posted by Des D 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Makro Racer at the Beach - Beach Mode
April 02, 2015 10:37AM
A few days ago, I got to test the 'Racer' at 2 saltwater beaches in conjunction with a PI unit.
What I can say is the 'Racer' appears to have some extra ground filtering (salt) active.
BUT, it still remains very sharp to various conductivities albeit with a [ sensitivity ] drop especially in the very wet and right at the surf line.
However, the GB function is extremely good and usually balanced in seconds no matter where I was and even balanced with the coil submerged with waves hitting the coil...amazing!
On the semi-dry sands it had good sensitivity but was fooled a couple of times by iron [ thumb size thin pieces not heavily rusted ] but was 'sharp' to several pull rings and pull tabs pointing to it being good on rings?
However, I was "suspicious" about these as the Target ID's read in the low ' 90's e.g. 92 as well as lower e.g. 84 - on the ferrous finds not the tabs and pulls which were Low ID's, 61 and 65 if remembered correctly?
Typical of many single frequency machines, it will 'false' if the coil touches the surface but, it's easy to hold the 'Racer' and that can be easily avoided.
Several signals were compared with the PI unit and some 'nulled' the 'Racer' and these turned out to be very small but heavily rusted nails (from fires) as the beaches are popular with kids in the summer.

Overall Result: I was extremely pleased with the 'Racer' on saltwater beaches and I should add, compared to a BBS or an FBS unit was just [ as quiet ] but in no way as deep.

NB: I also tested the Beach Mode in a very iron laden site and got mixed results.
Ground Balance wasn't a problem with standard and small coils.
I had hoped for a similar 'X-Terra' experience as the 705 in Beach Mode ground balanced inland [ can knock out heavily rusted iron ] even better than the regular Disc Mode due to the filtering reading the rusted iron as part of the ground matrix.
If you've used an X-705 in this manner you will know what I am saying.

Testing continues

Good Hunting

Des D
Re: Makro Racer at the Beach - Beach Mode
April 02, 2015 06:02PM
The rusted iron and the X-terra 705 ground balance is a little jem of a tip.

Will have to try that one out.

HH
Johnb
April 02, 2015 08:13PM
Well I'm glad I read your post before I take off for a four day beach detecting trip tomorrow. Where I am going I need to get as deep as possible. So the Racer was removed from the vehicle and the Sovereign was loaded.
April 02, 2015 09:53PM
Goodmore,

That might be a mistake.
You should bring it. You won't ever know unless you give it a shot.
Bring it....

Des D
April 02, 2015 10:27PM
Good info Des..

A few machines by the way that can ground balance to Salt like the 705 does in beach mode will make iron debris dissapear audibly but note that the machine is still bothered by it.. and masking is taking place all the same....and also less sensitivity to lower condcuotrs will be seen also..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 03, 2015 11:08AM
So Des...... some posts on the overload issue..... did that come into play near the surf? Single freq machines work on the wet sand they just arent the best choice and most dont really transition well unless you re-GB. Try it out Goodmore.... you know the water machines pretty well. As a water hunter...... id like to see everyone hunting the wet salt sand or water with a single freq machine........lets use a tiny coil too. Speaking of smaller coils, do you think there might be some improvement in depth with a smaller one?

Dew
April 03, 2015 12:09PM
Hey Dew,

What's up? Thanks for the Q's.

Yes. There is some real good depth with the 6" (actually 5" x 4.5"): some very good 'un-masking' too.
As for beach work with the small coil, on open sand I'd say 'twould be a waste of energy. But, in the rock pools it is very good.
I'm currently Field Testing 'Racer' with both coils and the Nokta waterproof pin pointer and am waiting for better weather due next week to film all the kit and am really looking forward to filming the probe underwater!

Des D
April 03, 2015 02:11PM
Yes thats to itty bitty of a coil unless you are hunting those unique areas with a lot of targets or just hard to work. Doesnt have an 8"? Most of us find them do able....especially working near the surf edge. Soooo you convinced um yet to waterproof and add a freq? They are fairly new to our market and in the scheme of things I suppose us salt water hunters are a small group. Non the less some needs to motivate/generate more interest in producing a machine capable of increased finds over whats now available. Lot of talk but everyone seems to still playing musical chairs waiting for someone else to jump first. Even some of the old stand bys need upgrading. Id love to be able to sell off all my mod Xcals. Id like to note also these mods keep people buying them.

Impressive machine so far... put it thru its paces. But a lot of machines have salt settings and can b used if thats what you have on most parts of the salt water beach. Did the machine give you a problem with over load nearer the water and did it require more air space between the coil and sand? Great write up by the way. Look forward to seeing the video.

Dew
April 03, 2015 03:26PM
Dew,

My apology: never answered your Q.

No. No 'overloading' on the sands.
No. I could hover very close to the surface.
Yes. Would raise it up as I encountered obstacles.
Didn't yet pass the coil thru seaweed which as we all know, does cause 'falsing' in many machines.
Am guessing 'Iodine' levels can be conductive? Will work on that next week.

Des D
April 03, 2015 07:53PM
Ive never been sure about that seaweed..... salt, minerals, or its ability to collect black sand. Thanks for your reply Des.