Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The old button site has been good to me!

Posted by triplehooked 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
The old button site has been good to me!
April 04, 2015 06:40AM
I went back to the site where I found the Infantry button and low and behold, found two more! Was kinda hoping the fella left me a buckle as well...here's to hoping! I'm thinking the brass piece may be a trigger guard. The coins are all wheaties except the smaller corroded coin. It is slightly larger than a dime and half as thick (see dime for reference). It is copper. I'm soaking it, but not sure this stuff will come off without taking what's left of the coin with it...Anyways, it was a great hunt. I was not wanting to come home tonight....

Re: The old button site has been good to me!
April 04, 2015 10:29AM
Dang you're on it like a tick on a bloodhound! I'd set up a tent there............ Good diggin
April 04, 2015 11:55AM
Well done. Very nice finds!

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 04, 2015 12:21PM
Wow,great hunt man!!!!
April 04, 2015 12:40PM
Congrats. Those are some real nice finds. What is that flower shaped thingy ?

El
April 04, 2015 12:52PM
Great hunt--continued good luck.
April 04, 2015 12:54PM
I know I missed it somewhere but what detector are you using?

El
April 04, 2015 02:20PM
Elbert, I have no idea what the flower thing is. That's why I post a lot of these finds is to glean some knowledge from you guys! Lol. For these field sites I use a Deus with the WS4 hp, 9"coil

Settings:
18kHz, Sens. at this site was between 85-90 as I'm directly under power lines. Reactivity 2, Silencer +1, disc. was at 9, tx 2, no notch. The ground was running 83-88, NO mineral bars what so ever! Medium iron activity throughout, and all the targets were 8" or less, although I was digging some bigger iron at 12+". A perfect site for the Deus to sift through.

I was getting a little bummed up until this site as the previous three fields sites had produced nothing but modern trash and very little old iron even. Although I am surprised no silver has come out of this site, I'm very pleased with all of the buttons! I didn't post a close up of the small button next to the I buttons, but it's a cool looking flat button with a beveled edge and lathe marks on the interior, it just looks old. Any suggestions for button books? Not just CW...

Thanks guys for the encouraging comments.
April 04, 2015 02:43PM
Looks good Travis. Great assortment of relics. Will fancy up your collection, no doubt!!!!
April 04, 2015 03:03PM
Wow Travis you're on a good site, each one of these is a nice find.

Looks like you've got the Deus dialed in, discrimination at 1 wow that's eliminating masking big time.

Oops, reread you post OK disc at 9 I see. Still, good job there. deus is a killer machine.

Congrats,
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 03:05PM by Old California.
April 04, 2015 03:18PM
Lol...yeah, disc. at 1 would probably be a bit overwhelming.
April 04, 2015 03:37PM
Love them buttons!!!!! Great finds!!!!! Congrats!!!!!
April 04, 2015 10:25PM
Killer Lock and "I" Buttons

I found that same silver colored buckle a yr or 2 ago

can you take a clean/clear close up of that bullet still in the casing? maybe lying along a tape measure and then one of the shell end where the trigger strikes the end? Is there a stamp on it?

It looks to be a 30 or 40-something cal. CW era piece (hard to tell from the pics here)

Nice Hunt = Congrats
April 05, 2015 02:06AM
Here's a couple of pics of the cartridge with the bullet, the other was a 303 British, btw. I'm just guessing, but I was thinking 1950's Italian ammo based on the head stamp, but I'd prefer if it were any CW era munitions!! As you can see, it was a misfire.

April 05, 2015 02:17AM
Ahhhh - nope = not period (not with a stamp and center like that!) but I was hoping for ya ;-)
April 05, 2015 02:26AM
Wow! I'd stay right there for a time!!! Great finds!
April 05, 2015 05:17AM
Korean war BPD ammo made in Rome Italy..

Woth about 2 bucks or so ..Seriousl!!y LOL... people collect that ammo from then...

Its 9MM by the way..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 06, 2015 10:25PM
You definitely have picked a nice site to hunt.

Congrats on the buttons and other finds.

Detecting since Feb, 2010
E-trac with 18"x15" SEF, 13" Ultimate coil, Pro coil, Minelab 8" coil, 4.5"x7" SEF, Sunray target probe
CTX3030 with 17"x13" DD coil, 11" DD coil