Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ture story of a settlement in my area,

Posted by Old California 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Ture story of a settlement in my area,
April 04, 2015 06:42PM
Hello forum friends,

Here's a true story of a settlement from my area, Actually posted this on another forum 7-8 years ago. The massacre really happened and have recovered some great finds from this area. To this day, The owner allows me to detect here and now with his permission putting together my own display of finds as the first two sets of finds went back to the owners. Here below is the true story on the 1850 Woodsville Massacre, We found so many fired pistol and musket balls in the hundreds and the information below written by Mr Barton helped piece together the puzzle of the Indian massacre, Hope you can read the entire thread and please take note the story was written by Orlando Barton over 100 years ago. Plus with permission no trespassing has occurred and I do invite friends, This is a great site to test the best VLT and now using Pi's to punch down even deeper in the mineralized soil.

(Woodsville) No buildings are left on the surface, No Cabin, No Saloon/hotel, No Goad house and No corral and what is left is buried underneath the surface, Some of the artifacts we recovered from here are pre-1850 coins and relics with some rare 1820's buttons and the oldest coin dating back to 1792. We also recovered bricks from the Billy Pierce's Hotel built in 1853, Not only were these bricks fired on this property they are the first bricks used in the San Joaquin Valley and are about twice the size as a regular brick. Later, The Billy Pierce's Hotel was obtained by the Goal family and the Hotel was converted into a home which buried down in 1908. Forgot to mention the Hotel was built on top of the Woods Cabin, It is here were most of the artifacts from the 1850 massacre occurred. The site is on farm land, Wonderful place to sit down and enjoy the cool breeze of the river nearby.

Hope you enjoy the story below as written by Orlando Barton.

The Woodville massacre,

The first attempt at permanent settlement in this vicinity was made by a man named John Wood on the south bank of the Kaweah River at a point east of the present city of Visalia on the property known subsequently and up to the present time as the Goad ranch.

All historians who have written of the early days state what Wood’s first name was never preserved, but Orlando Barton, in his manuscript entitled “EARLY History of Tulare County,” published in the Visalia Daily Times in 1905, gives his name as John Wood, citing as his authority John Hudgins, in whose train Wood came to California via the southern route in 1849.

Wood, with a party of stalwart men, different authorities giving the number as fourteen, fifteen and seventeen , supplied with saddle and pack animals, some arms and implements for building, came from the Mariposa late in the 1850, arriving on the banks of the Kaweah River about December 1st. There, near the south end of the bridge built by Dr. Thomas Payne and near the site later occupied by J.C. Goad residence, the first permanent habitation was built. This was a log cabin twelve feet wide and fourteen feet long, constructed of oak logs with a roof of split oak shakes. The winter was mild and pleasant and the work of the building and settling progressed without interruption until toward spring, when a band of Indians, under the leadership of Francisco, believed to be a renegade from the ranchos on the coast, who had collected a number of the Kaweahs into his following, ordered that the white men leave that section of the country within ten days giving them the alternative of death if they remained.

The settlers at first kept to their tasks in the field, but after consideration of the situation, decided to obey the ultimatum and depart. Most of them started to round up their horses which were grazing on the open ground south of the cabin. In the meantime the final hours of the ten-day interval, which was to end at noon, arrived, and the Indians, not disposed to mercy, swooped down upon the whites in the pasture, slaying several of the number, some accounts giving the number as fourteen. Two of the men, it is said, ran and jumped into the Kaweah and by keeping under water as much as possible managed to drift down the river to safety. Frank Boden, shot four times with arrows, was left for dead in the weeds a short distance from the cabin.

John Wood alone reached the cabin and sought refuge behind the stout door, which as provided with loop-holes. A number of the men had left their guns in the building, so that Wood had eight extra rifles at his disposal and supply of ammunition. The Indians had no firearms, only knives and their bows and arrows, the arrows tipped with a short piece of burnt chamiso.

Of the tragedy that ensued, Orlando Barton, member of one of the oldest pioneer families in Tulare County, has written as follows:

“It would take a large book to hold all the stories that have been told and retold of this memorable fight, but among the numerous accounts we can discern something of the truth. The ten days were out at noon, and the Indians immediately attacked the men on the open ground. Allowing an hour for them to run down and kill the men on the outside, it was 1 p.m. before they were ready to begin the attack on the cabin. A great number had assembled, All the fighting men in the Kaweah Delta were there. I know Indians who lived as far north as Drum Valley who took part in the fight, There was certainly seven or eight hundred, perhaps a thousand, Indians present.

“Returning from the pursuit of those on the outside, the Indians, taking advantage of the dry weeds, the oak trees and the river bank, surrounded the cabin and the fight of a thousand against one commenced. The willow arrows, which in derision at the time the whites called “sprouts,” could do no damage in the cabin. No demand was made on Wood to surrender. No parley was held, for the man who was to give his name to a county seat was in no yielding mood, and the cabin that was to become a courthouse was built for defense. The only chance for the Indians to kill Wood with arrows was to shoot through the loop-holes.

A wound from a single arrow, no matter were it struck, would not be fatal, and the Indians’ bows and arrows were totally ineffective at a distance of one hundred and fifty feet.

“The effective fire from the cabin showed the natives that the place could not be taken by siege without great loss. They therefore made an assault. From the confusion of accounts one can discern something of the tactics of Wood. He did not empty all his rifles at the beginning of the fight, but reserved some of them especially for an assault. We know that in more than one assault the natives were driven off. If the boy, Frank Boden “wounded with four arrows,” had succeeded in reaching the cabin the natives would never have been able to take it.

“Indians that I have talked to afterwards admitted a loss of thirteen killed, This would mean that twice that many were wounded, and that the fight lasted more than three hours. Wood loaded his guns with a ramrod, and appears to have been entirely cool and self-possessed, and through the long afternoon he sent a slow but effective fire into the surrounding circle of savages. It was late in the day when the natives, by making a final rush, succeeded in reaching the cabin.

“They laid Wood in the ground and commenced to cut off his skin, They began at his fingers and toes, and first skinned them. Then took the skin off his arms and legs, then off his back. No cry of pain, no plea for mercy was heard from the defender if the cabin. Silently he had fought, silently he endured the terrible ordeal.

“Even after I came to Woodville an Indian was shot for mimicking the facial contortions he (Wood) made while in the hands of his torturers. They did not pull the skin off in strips as I have heard some persons say lately. They took it off in one piece, and nailed it to a tree that stood until a few years ago in the corral close to the residence of J.C. Goad.

“After his skin was removed the Indians released Wood, He rose to his feet and walked about six rods, then fell on his face. How long he lived no one knows, The Indians instantly left. Boden could not come to him, The Indians did not burn or even plunder the cabin and soon night and silence reigned over the site of such a tragedy as is seldom witnessed even in frontier life.

“Some authorities say the next day, a party headed by a man named Lane arrived at Woodville. They buried the dead, and carrying Boden with them, took him, first to the San Joaquin River, then to Mariposa. C.R. Wingfield was in Mariposa at the time, and to him Boden gave a detailed account of the fight at Wood’s cabin. The ground where Wood had been held down was covered with blood. They traced his tracks (I am quoting C.R. Wingfield) from there to the place where he fell.”

Reports of the massacre were taken to Fort Miller, on the San Joaquin River, and immediately a detachment of troops under command of General Patten marched to the Four Creeks country and the scene of the tragedy. They found the log cabin undamaged and evidence of the valiant defense, The massacre and the butchery was still visible. Construction of a fort nearby from the cabin was begun, but the troops were recalled before the fort was completed.
.Thanks everyone for taking the time to read a bit of history from our area,
All the best, Paul (Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2015 06:54PM by Old California.
Re: Ture story of a settlement in my area,
April 04, 2015 07:22PM
Thanks for the history lesson Paul!! I love stories of old California!
April 04, 2015 07:35PM
Very cool!
April 04, 2015 07:49PM
Fascinating story, Paul. Gruesome as it is!
I can certainly understand how interesting that must make your presence there, not to mention your thought processes when your detector signals a target.
Thanks for sharing.

Pleasant Garden, NC
AT Max, Nokta Impact, MX Sport, Nokta FORS Relic, GPX 4800, Infinium, Racer, Deus, F75SE, Nautilus DMC II (order of acquisition, last to first)

Does an archeologist argue with a plow? A bureaucrat with a bulldozer?
April 05, 2015 12:14AM
Thanks for the history of your detecting site and please keep us posted as to what you find.
April 05, 2015 01:41AM
Awesome story buddy! I assume thats now the Kern?
April 05, 2015 02:19AM
Thank you for a very interesting read. I would love to go to a place like that.
April 05, 2015 02:27AM
What can I say?? Great story. Paul, you're in hog heaven when it comes to detecting. And I didn't realize until I started following your post that California has so much history and great metal detecting potential. I guess I fell into the train of thought thinking the wild west joined the Union later, and hence didn't or couldn't compete with the east or southern parts of this great country. Boy was I wrong.
April 05, 2015 02:46AM
Great history lesson Paul,

I love reading wild west stories like that and even more = love seeing those relics you guys dig out there!

If I were you = I'd be all over that site like "white on rice" as they say ;-0

I wouldn't leave that site until I couldn't get a signal from every machine at my disposal!

Thanks for posting and good huntin/diggin out there ;-)

Oh - and don't forget to post some of the finds you make on that property!
April 05, 2015 04:12AM
Got to love history it is what keeps us going and a lot of our history is very tragic

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
April 05, 2015 04:59AM
Great read Paul..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 05, 2015 05:12PM
Thanks Ron, Crosby, NCWayne, Doc Holiday, Ray, Sammy boy, Travis, Michigan Wayne, LowBoy and Keith,

In the coming months ahead, Going to start detecting the site heavily and in a new area we really never hit hard. Want to share one of my friends who helped recover finds from here dug his first reale from this site along with another old coin from the 1850 era. My friend and I passed over all of our finds back to the property owners which included my oldest American coin (1835 Bust 1/2 dime) and a 1792 French coin I dug near the Bust 1/2 dime. Of course, allot of other older coins surfaced but these were not from the 1850 Massacre era so we were allowed to keep these and what went back to the owners were finds from the massacre era and those were put together in a nice display for one of the owners, Then recently with finds I made last year put together a second display for the other property owner and this second display had some cool coins and relics from the 1850 massacre era.

Now, Both brother and sister have a nice display of finds from the historical site from their property. As a result, We will be allowed to keep future finds for our own displays which is cool so will be working hard to get a few more keepers for my own display in the future and so will my friend, Unless a Gold Coin surfaced then I'll give it to owner with the recent display and mount it onto his display in which I had left two empty spots in the display for future 1850 era coin finds.

Thanks Gang for taking the time to read the Indian Massacre article, Believe me can spent hours on end out there even if it's just walking without detecting. Very fortunate to have such a place near my area and with permission to detect it.

Thanks again,
Paul Ca)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2015 05:14PM by Old California.
April 05, 2015 05:16PM
Me and Ray want to help you I'll let you test the racer...please..just messing with you great story and there has to be a lot of places still to hunt with history in Calif....I wish I could do more hunting

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

April 05, 2015 05:31PM
Wow Paul, that is some great history. Knowing the backstory at a site like that makes it all that much more special. Thanks for sharing and kudos for giving back to the land owner. One thing I'm curious about is why the Indians didn't just burn the cabin from a distance via fiery arrows from multiple directions.. They must have wanted to catch him alive for torture...
April 06, 2015 12:56AM
Hi Paul,,,Thanks for sharing the history of your area that was an interesting read......JJ
April 06, 2015 01:40AM
Fascinating!
Good history lesson.
April 06, 2015 02:50AM
Paul really enjoyed reading your story.

The more I research the old California sites, them more I learn about the history with the Indians. Lot's of turmoil, and there were good and bad on both the sides of Indians as well as the settlers, it was a turbulent time in our states history. Makes one really appreciate hunting these oldest sites even more when the history we research starts to come to life.
April 06, 2015 03:17PM
Thanks Lowboy, Travis, tnsharpshooter, JJ, Tom and Brian,

triplehooked, I'll get back in a day or two with the reasoning the Indians may have left in a hurry leaving the cabin untouched, And more information with what took place on this settlement after the massacre this site continued on for years as a major site. More later have to run to work then attend school after.

tnsharpshooter, Yes indeed California had tons of stuff going Californian was indeed a busy state back then.

Lowboy and Ray, I've got something going on with another site near this Woodsville settlement and it too is extremely old. I'm thinking maybe the two of you can car pool down and we'll detect both sites, The other site is a lost town (1858-1862) but I know where it. Never been detected actually located and have the owners permission to detect it when I get the chance, It too has allot of history going back to early 1850's before the town started. The town was short lived and was destroyed by a flood, Woodsville and this town are only a mile apart. Bring the Racer Lawrenzo, And Ray bring your heavy hitter relic machines.

Fellow forum friends, There is another site I'm working on and will be an interesting site once the relics and coins start coming out, Will share more of this lost buried town of Venice. This town of Venice in my area started in 1858 and in 1862 was destroyed by a flood. Very excited with this particular site it's never been located, With a ream of information the missing piece of puzzle finely surfaced, With this I believe to know were the town was located and are in connect with the property owner which has allowed me to search for the lost town.

Thanks again everyone,
Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2015 03:19PM by Old California.
April 06, 2015 03:24PM
Hey Paul I'm in if I can hook up with Ray then we can all have a great hunt...Ray is a nice guy had one hunt last year with him and his son..good people...Yeah lets find some history and tell some stories and see what we can uncover...and I'll bring the deus and the racer

LowBoy

[www.youtube.com]