Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer and F19 short hunt

Posted by Daniel Tn 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer and F19 short hunt
April 07, 2015 06:16PM
I got about 2 hrs to hit the homesite that has given up all the coins to me over the years. It is a very very trashy place. The CTX with 6" coil was a beast there. Gave me quite a few coins. I couldn't help but think there was another silver or two in all that trash and iron. I broke out the Racer with small coil and worked it in 3 tone mode. I hit the most trashy spots and did dig a few targets. No coins. I got a lot of false 83-85 readings that sounded good from one way or the other, then I would dig and the target would then read in the 60s or 70s and be trash. Nothing I dug was deep but I usually don't have to dig deep for the coins there. The ground is very rocky so stuff dont go deep.

I like how the machine swings and sounds. Gonna take some use to in picking coins out of trash though. I found myself really missing the CTX but there is no guarantee I would have found anything with it either. The one thing I noticed in my pre hunt tests...the machine is a beast in air testing with that little coil. Very good in the iron tests too. But once I hit my test garden, the muscle was gone. I have a silver dime at around 7 inches, a nickel at 9, and minie ball at around 6 inches too. I couldnt get a signal on any of them. I put the stock coil on and had the same results. Air testing...I can hit a silver dime at nearly 12 inches. Throwing the dime on the ground I can get it about the same. In the ground...its not there at 7 inches. I couldnt even make it out in all metal.

The F19...I only have the stock coil for it. I think its a 6x10 or there abouts. It doesnt air test as good as the Racer. It doesnt hit the dime or minie in disc mode either but will chirp on the nickel. In all metal it gets all 3 loud and clear.

I hunted with the F19 at the home site as well. Guess what...no coins with it either. But I did like the adjustability of the F19 better. If the F19 had a 3 tone option like the Racer, it would be the cats meow. Or if the Racer had the adjustable iron break and notch...it would be even better than what it is. I got a lot of signals I did not dig on both machines that registered from the 50s to the 70s. I'm thinking right now that both are gonna excel at relic hunting and or simply digging non ferrous items out of iron. In my particular soil, I know at some point the coins are NOT gonna read those pretty sounding 80 tones. And by ignoring all other signals, the end result is leaving a lot of goodies in the ground. The question is...at what depth does it occur?
Re: Racer and F19 short hunt
April 07, 2015 07:13PM
Nice "comparison" write up Daniel
April 07, 2015 07:22PM
Did you get accurate id in a.m. on the f19?
April 07, 2015 07:43PM
Daniel, with your soil the 5x10 coil may be what is needed to get the most depth out of the Racer. Maybe someone will let you borrow one and see. Good info btw. And just curious what did your F75LTD2 do in your test garden on the targets??? And your CTX with 6" coil???
April 07, 2015 08:23PM
Im finding the 5 inch coil 3 tone is going into no mans land for me....

im finding handfulls of relics that I have left in sites..I could understand a piece here or there...and I know im not a sloppy hunter heck most sites I have to chase nail falses to have a target to dig... not with the this setup though...its the machine doing it...

but Im enjoying the 3 tone doing it...Never thought those words would come out of my mouth but just turn unit on put into 3 tone ground grab and hunt..

It will find targets very easily...actually its uncanny...

weird in two tone I fnd the smallest of conductors intermignled in iron...in 3 tone I find the full gamut of items intermingled in iron...just yesterday I found some large pieces fo brass in iron that should not of being there in my opinion knowing how hard and how many years I hunted the site.. and also thinking in the last year or so it was over with for that site...

theres more to the machine than simple tone selection...its different processes going on by tone selection..

Nothing I own or have ever owned touches what this machine does with small coil in 3 tone in iron infestation....Almost like cheating to run it like this...

By the way I have the 5x10 coming..cant wait to see what it does..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
April 07, 2015 08:41PM
Hi Daniel,,,Thanks for the most informative post....I got to run one yesterday for about four hours and can honestly say this machine has some issues........JJ
April 07, 2015 08:46PM
Very true words there Keith, I'm heading back to the trash pit lot with a potatoe rake here shortly. We find a lot of stuff that way. Take a 3X3 spot and scrape back several inches then detect and do over again. Diggin into history lets call it.
April 07, 2015 09:38PM
I don't consider myself a Grand Master Detectorist. My 2 1/2 cents worth. First IMO the VCO in the 2tone I think helps as much as it hurts. To me makes it harder to keep a keen ear when hunting in the messiest of sites. 3 tone quite different. Very easy to hear shallow and deeper nonferrous in the junk pits/sites. I've hunted around numerous steps of older homes. I've ran Fisher F75 with both coils countless times, I've ran Deus in these same places countless times with Reactivity levels 2,3 and 4, with silencer at -1. I have also ran V3i in the same places. These spots are not big spots either. CoRe and Racer with small coil has sniffed out both low and high conductor targets out of these places. And some of the items weren't real small or real deep. The only issue I see with the Racer is it's getting warmer and the grass/weeds are growing and growing fast. And this dad burn Turkey season, I've gotten myself wrapped into. The turkeys I'm afraid are a fixing to be put on hold and the Racer with small coil is going to take priority. Need to get this rainy/blustery weather out of here too. I have been writing about what folks using the FORS CoRe should be listening for when it comes to good targets versus junk targets for about a month on and off.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2015 10:02PM by tnsharpshooter.
April 07, 2015 11:31PM
tnsharpshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't consider myself a Grand Master
> Detectorist. My 2 1/2 cents worth. First IMO the
> VCO in the 2tone I think helps as much as it
> hurts. To me makes it harder to keep a keen ear
> when hunting in the messiest of sites. 3 tone
> quite different. Very easy to hear shallow and
> deeper nonferrous in the junk pits/sites. I've
> hunted around numerous steps of older homes. I've
> ran Fisher F75 with both coils countless times,
> I've ran Deus in these same places countless times
> with Reactivity levels 2,3 and 4, with silencer at
> -1. I have also ran V3i in the same places.
> These spots are not big spots either. CoRe and
> Racer with small coil has sniffed out both low and
> high conductor targets out of these places. And
> some of the items weren't real small or real deep.
> The only issue I see with the Racer is it's
> getting warmer and the grass/weeds are growing and
> growing fast. And this dad burn Turkey season,
> I've gotten myself wrapped into. The turkeys I'm
> afraid are a fixing to be put on hold and the
> Racer with small coil is going to take priority.
> Need to get this rainy/blustery weather out of
> here too. I have been writing about what folks
> using the FORS CoRe should be listening for when
> it comes to good targets versus junk targets for
> about a month on and off.

TNSharpshooter , now you have me wanting to go Back to the same relic spot I was at last week with the CoRe 2nd try it in Di3, to see what I missed! I think you are right about the 2 tone. Sometimes thru the swinging, I hear a signal ( that sounds like every other good signal), but only to glance at the TID and see Nooooooooooooooo numeric value (blank screen) MY only fear was to lose some depth in Di3 vs Di2 mode.

And I don't remember off hand where I read this, but I think sometime posted and stated that a good signal with Nooooooooooooooo TID numeric value, meant it was junk? I'm beginning to wonder if this just means a signal is 1) very small or 2) very deep?

What's your thought on this?

Thanks
Bubba
April 07, 2015 11:40PM
How far does the bad dirt extend in Tenn?
April 08, 2015 02:56AM
The CTX 6" coil wasn't a depth monster. It had its limit too. I could get a good signal on the 7 inch silver dime but not the minie ball or nickel. Its love was the high conductors. Now the interesting thing about the CTX was the cut off limit in the soil. I also had an 8-9 inch silver quarter that the machine wouldn't hit even with the 11" coil. It seems like 6-7 inches was the limit at manual sens 30. Then like everything else, it lumped it into the iron bin...lower right corner of the screen.

The F75 was more of an all metal only machine for me. I never used it in disc mode cause I knew of its all too common tendency to be wrong on the ID of things. It could get all targets in all metal but would ID them as iron. All except the dime and it would hit high where it should be thrn bounce all around. For sure not a locking ID.

Not sure of the total range of bad soil here. It is spotty. In some sites the dirt is not bad at all. It seems the wooded areas have decent soil but the farm fields is where most of the bad soil lives. I'm not sure if its the fertilizer from being farmed...or perhaps its the tilling/plowing that puts "air pockets" in the soil. Whatever the case...fields are always worse for the bad soil.

The Racer is not the end all detector but its certainly no slouch. They left the table open for improvements. If it got close to the same performance in the ground as it does in air testing...it would be a very very mind blowing machine. Especially with the small coil. I've never seen a machine with small coil air test as good as the Racer. But not many coins/relics are found in the air or on top of the ground. Gonna try to get out some more but my day shift guy at work is on vacation the rest of the week which means I am on 12 hrs til he gets back. Makes it hard to do anything but eat/sleep/work.

EDIT:

I went out for a while this morning and buried a couple new targets out there. And then done some additional testing. The Racer WILL hit the before mentioned objects. IF the disc is turned under the preset 10 mark. It so happens that its doing the same thing as most other VLF machines do....it is putting the targets into the iron range. When I set the disc to around the 8 mark, I can hear all the targets in my test plot. They all report as iron UNLESS you happen to pinpoint the exact spot of the target and then do what I would call a modified "Minelab wiggle" from the ole Explorer days with the coil parked directly center of the target in question. By doing this, I was able to get a bleeding in high tone through the iron signal on all of the targets except the nickel. And it is the deepest thing I have out there. The bigger coil is much better than the smaller coil in this regard...I couldn't get the high tone thing to work on the small coil but it will hit all the targets if the disc is lowered way down; just everything is reported as iron.

The F19 is very very similar. Someone asked if the ID was correct on the test plot targets while running in all metal. I didn't know the answer but I do now. The answer is...no. It actually does the same thing the Racer is doing...gives an iron ID and then just occasionally (once out of 10 sweeps across the target) will jump up into the non ferrous range.

Both are almost idiot proof on making adjustments. Everything is laid out right on the front panel. No scrolling page after page. No sub menus. The 19 has the most coil options currently available but I imagine the Racer will be catching up on that soon. I like features on both. Love the light weight. I don't mind the weight IF the performance is there too. But it's nice to take a 2 pound detector vs a 6 or 7 pound machine and kick tail with it. I see both the F19 and Racer kicking a lot of tail. My soil shouldn't be the defining factor for anybody....just the fact that the machines can get a signal on an object in it, is saying a lot. Even though it IDs as iron...it gives us something to keep in the back of the mind when we encounter bad soil. We gotta realize that not all the good targets will be that smooth round sounding 83+ locking signal.

FWIW....on the Racer, my ground shows the little pie chart thing as being 3/4 the way full. It lacks one segment or "slice" to being fully black. The ground phase number seems to like to report 60 and 80 a lot. Not sure what all that means just yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2015 03:24PM by Daniel Tn.
April 08, 2015 04:54PM
You said some great things there Daniel. And I hope to respond later today. Good stuff!
June 22, 2015 01:11AM
So Daniel, which machine are you now using? Have you tried the v3i with the 13 inch detech? I'm wondering getting this or the Deus with 11 inch coil for the relic hunting. I would also think that the polar plot setting on the v3i would help to identify ferrous vs non ferrous, in comparison to the CoRe that I currently use and enjoy.

What are your thoughts on the v3i? Vs CoRe/Racer and iron discrimination and said depth?

Thank you buddy,
Bubba
June 22, 2015 01:42AM
Funny how I love the two tone I use the higher audi tone 5 and get the zip mixed with the iron... I don't like the three tone because of the mid tone. I just want to hear the target with the two tone so you have iron and then the high zippy tone like the G2....It works for me and I can hear the softer targets that way also..Different strokes for different folks..

I tried the F19 and didn't like the way it is made..I dislike those push pads and the pin pointer. The racer is better built and has better tones and when you add the 5x10 it is really a great hunter.

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2015 01:45AM by Lawrenzo.