Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Racer first short hunt - not impressed but not surprised

Posted by Bryannagirl 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Racer first short hunt - not impressed but not surprised
May 08, 2015 02:13AM
Ok took racer the lot next door aka the junk yard. It has been raining a lot some the ground was damp well over a foot down. Most of dirt is kinda of a clay but some is really nice soil. As I have said before lots of trash both modern and iron. So an working the edges least trashy part of lot and she is running quiet. I am still trying to learn what she is telling me. - main reason I think I was not impressed is because I do not really understand her yet. I do hear the blended audio where the iron and the high tone kind of sing in harmony a bit so you can hear both the same time.

I was using three tone - not sure if that was the best choice or not but seemed logical - look for high tones then try and zero in. I was using the 5 inch coil. I was surprised by how often I heard a high tone with no VID. Seems like the small coil is a tone only Hunter since deep targets - 3 inches or more-will not report VID. This was also compound but my difficulty with the pinpoint function. On several occasions I would move coil slightly away from target pull trigger and get nothing not a peep - but when I move the coil further from target it would turn on again. My guess was when this happened the target was larger then it was reporting in discrim mode and even though I was about a full coil width or two away it would still null. This did not happen with every target but it did happen enough for me too know I need some more Racer schooln

So even though I would loose VID pretty soon on some targets the tone ID was deeper. I had one target that kept giving me a high tone I dug a hole 6 inches got a target report from my garret pinpointer at the bottom of the whole but to the side. When I put racer coil in hole I did get VID of 85 86. Dig deeper still nothing. I start to think I missed my mark. Fill hole go over a coil width and now on surface I am getting very clear and repeatable high tone. Get about 5 inches out drop coil in and get solid 95. Pinpointer is singing loud target is straight down. 2 more inches nothing then again 2 more inches and now my digger hits something very solid. I keep going and abut an inch more. So about ten inches. Down I hit a solid plate about 4 inches around I clean away the dirt and I read the words Kicker. And little up from that is the word Ohm. I ended up leaving it The most disappointing thing is I never really got to understand her. This junk yard is probably not the best place to learn her language I need a normal park so I can see what she really is saying

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
Re: Racer first short hunt - not impressed but not surprised
May 08, 2015 02:34AM
Explain that second paragraph again, I'm confused.......
May 08, 2015 02:36AM
Well for me I don't really listen to the tone less it is a real heavy iron tone mixed with another target and you may have had your gain to high..maybe for a lot of iron and or trash start at a 39 and see what you find and as you clean an area then you may want to try 50-59 any higher on that type of ground and you are kind of wasting your time..

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 08, 2015 03:19AM
Kicker is a modern day bass speaker for the Rap Mobiles..You ve head them at the red lights... shaking the windows...

those things are huge , that's the back of the magnet and that sucker is huge...

I bet you detector was acting squirrely on that thing..hard to pinpoint.Keep moving.. I bet...

Good news though if that big speaker is in here you might find a Gold tooth Grill !!LOL~~

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 08, 2015 03:31AM
It sounds like there's something wrong with the Racer, I've never experienced erratic behavior like that.

The first place I took the Racer to, I first hunted that morning with my F75 and got nadda, I then went over the exact same spot with the Racer and it got two silver coins and two old green wheaties. That was with the 11" DD. This weekend I plan to hunt it again with the Racer and the OOR 5" coil on 98 sensitivity, and see if it can sniff out anything the 11" DD missed smiling smiley

Anyhow, something doesn't seem right about the Racer's performance from what you've described.

HH,
Brian
May 08, 2015 09:10AM
Start out in a cleaner spot. Walk before run. As soon as you said kicker I new it was a speaker as well. If that was deep you need to realize how deep old coins will be.
May 08, 2015 10:36AM
I had a deep target that would Tone ID high but no VID until I dug out the whole more - then put 5 inch coil down in the bottom and got VID. It was a larger target so it surprised me it did not VID until I got pretty close. It was an expensive car Speaker buried almost a foot down when I got to it. I only uncovered the very back of it So was a large chunk of copper wire with a magnet. Sorry for the rambling.

Jack Flynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Explain that second paragraph again, I'm
> confused.......

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
May 08, 2015 10:40AM
Yep figured that out - when I saw the word OHM on the back as well. I was not planning on escalating and the back was right at twelve inches deep. This is not the first car part I have found. Still looking for the gold tooth or chain to go with the Rap Mobile. winking smiley

Keith Southern Wrote:
> Kicker is a modern day bass speaker for the Rap
> Mobiles..You ve head them at the red lights...
> shaking the windows...
>
> those things are huge , that's the back of the
> magnet and that sucker is huge...
>
> I bet you detector was acting squirrely on that
> thing..hard to pinpoint.Keep moving.. I bet...
>
> Good news though if that big speaker is in here
> you might find a Gold tooth Grill !!LOL~~
>
> Keith

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 08, 2015 10:43AM
It looks like a lot but it is a junk yard. There is too much red brick and large metal parts. Hell there could be a whole car down there. I dug a few foot deep holes that I did not find a target but my Garrett Pinpointer and Racer both said it is still deeper. I did not bring my back hoe so I passed on anything deeper then a foot.

Cal_cobra Wrote:
> It sounds like there's something wrong with the
> Racer, I've never experienced erratic behavior
> like that.
>
> The first place I took the Racer to, I first
> hunted that morning with my F75 and got nadda, I
> then went over the exact same spot with the Racer
> and it got two silver coins and two old green
> wheaties. That was with the 11" DD. This weekend
> I plan to hunt it again with the Racer and the OOR
> 5" coil on 98 sensitivity, and see if it can sniff
> out anything the 11" DD missed smiling smiley
>
> Anyhow, something doesn't seem right about the
> Racer's performance from what you've described.
>
> HH,
> Brian

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 08, 2015 10:53AM
I see now, maybe a car door, trash can lid, or something really big. Giving you a signal, makes sense now. Yep go somewhere else for right now and learn the machine.
May 08, 2015 11:07AM
Using pinpoint in the real trashy areas is a wasted of time many times. Better to just dig where the tone shows up. And trying to use pinpoint in those same kinda sites for sizing, again a waste lots of times. A car junk yard would be one of the worst places to detect. Those door handles/ emblems, etc all sound good. Even the electrical connectors. The Racer will hunt-no doubt about it.
May 08, 2015 12:05PM
Yep not the best hunting location but challenging. My goal is to find a coin in that mess someday. But for now off to my lakeside retreat.

Jack Flynn Wrote:
> I see now, maybe a car door, trash can lid, or
> something really big. Giving you a signal, makes
> sense now. Yep go somewhere else for right now
> and learn the machine.

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 08, 2015 12:09PM
Yea I knew where it was just trying to get idea on depth. Still learning so not sure if surface or China. Go back to just lifting coil.and guessing.

tnsharpshooter Wrote:
> Using pinpoint in the real trashy areas is a
> wasted of time many times. Better to just dig
> where the tone shows up. And trying to use
> pinpoint in those same kinda sites for sizing,
> again a waste lots of times. A car junk yard
> would be one of the worst places to detect. Those
> door handles/ emblems, etc all sound good. Even
> the electrical connectors. The Racer will hunt-no
> doubt about it.

Bryanna - Nebraska

May 08, 2015 04:12PM
Like others said go to a cleaner park until you get to know the Racer. Maybe use 2 tone at first. It has a VCO response so you can get a better idea of target depth.
I switch between 2 and 3 tone as well as all metal when I'm Checking targets. That's the beauty of the Racer menu layout. It's very easy to fly between modes.
It also sounds like you were losing your targets when pinpointing. I noticed its easy sometimes to null out a target when I'm trying to narrow the signal down in pinpoint with the Racer. Just release the pinpoint switch, sweep the target again and start over.
May 08, 2015 10:16PM
Yep learning curve for sure - can not think of any other detector I ever had that would completely null in pinpoint mode like Racer did. - kind of confused me when it happened. Hopefully at another location, that does not have a auto parts store buried a foot down, I may never have this occur.

Cabin Fever Wrote:
> Like others said go to a cleaner park until you
> get to know the Racer. Maybe use 2 tone at first.
> It has a VCO response so you can get a better
> idea of target depth.
> I switch between 2 and 3 tone as well as all
> metal when I'm Checking targets. That's the
> beauty of the Racer menu layout. It's very easy
> to fly between modes.
> It also sounds like you were losing your targets
> when pinpointing. I noticed its easy sometimes to
> null out a target when I'm trying to narrow the
> signal down in pinpoint with the Racer. Just
> release the pinpoint switch, sweep the target
> again and start over.

Bryanna - Nebraska