Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Picked up a Tom Certified F75 V2...Build date Jan 2015

Posted by Keith Southern 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Picked up a Tom Certified F75 V2...Build date Jan 2015
May 10, 2015 02:45AM
And I must say its every bit as hot as my Dec 2014...seems a tad bit sparkier actually....Cant locate any flaws within the unit....Actually has a bit more Old school F75 feel than the December 2014 PROPER unit ....Seem's a tad bit faster in all modes..

And One thing I actually prefer over the others is the Backlight on this Jan 2015 model is at intensity wise...

The backlight on the others will snow blind you at night.. this one is pleasingly subtle...not sure if its just weak or if its made like that But I haev to say I would not change it...

I mentioned it at the factory that it was way to bright maybe they got other compaints too and took it too heart..

Whatever they did I like it..

Hey Tom....This is a Very strong unit!

If any of yall want a PROPER F75 then dont take any chances....I have come to KNOW what a GOOD-UN from a BAD-UN is like,,, and Tom seems to be selling GOOD-UNS...

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
Re: Picked up a Tom Certified F75 V2...Build date Jan 2015
May 10, 2015 04:05AM
I waited til the last month to get the upgrade done so I have the 2-15 unit. It's definately quiet but still can get a little sparky. I have absolutely no complaints on the depth in disc or all metal but was a little confused on the 9.0 vs the 9.1

I could hardly tell the difference between them except that the 9.1 didn't seem to fast grab very quickly vs 9.0 and I could discern a slightly longer audio lag in 9.1.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the upgrade. Money well spent and I love the FA mode combined with the new iron audio tones.

HH
John
May 10, 2015 04:12AM
Yes run it in 9.0 and forget about 9.1..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 10, 2015 04:55AM
Mine isn't a Tom certified unit but I like it. I will keep mine for sure. In 3 bar ground mine is deeeeeeeeeeep in disc mode. I have a site opening up shortly that's 1 bar ground, mildest soil I've seen around here in these parts. I may be mistaken but even in 3 bar ground my unit is deeper than my CTX- stock coil vs stock coil on mid and low conductors. Would love to compare them on a deep undug silver dime in this 1 bar ground site just to see how my F75 upgraded compares to my CTX. Folks don't need to forget about the Up graded F75 units for open field relic hunting. IMO currently right now they are still tops in my book as long as your soil aint too hot.
May 10, 2015 05:49AM
My T2 was toe to toe with this F75. I think they did upgrades to f75 first the Teknetics T2 benefited from those early tweeks to F75. Though I am sure Keith you could tell some differences I would not notice.

I was wondering about the Backlight I had heard some complaints about it being to bright but I thought this one was pretty suttle in its brightness. So this unit was not as bright as previous units.

Yes it was a very nice unit. I would not expect any less from Tom.

My take on Racer T2 and F75 is T2 or F75 both are really good with 5 inch and deeper targets better deep then Racer based on my initial impressions (assuming depth is primary need). I assume the T2 and F75 trump Racer for depth with larger coil also but have not tested.

Racer wins the co located target finds. Got to a normal park and got to hear that blended audio others have spoke about. Really hard to tell in the Videos but when you swing it that blending becomes very clear and very helpful.

Glad you were pleased with unit I thought you would be.

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And I must say its every bit as hot as my Dec
> 2014...seems a tad bit sparkier actually....Cant
> locate any flaws within the unit....Actually has a
> bit more Old school F75 feel than the December
> 2014 PROPER unit ....Seem's a tad bit faster in
> all modes..
>
> And One thing I actually prefer over the others is
> the Backlight on this Jan 2015 model is at
> intensity wise...
>
> The backlight on the others will snow blind you at
> night.. this one is pleasingly subtle...not sure
> if its just weak or if its made like that But I
> haev to say I would not change it...
>
>
> I mentioned it at the factory that it was way to
> bright maybe they got other compaints too and took
> it too heart..
>
> Whatever they did I like it..
>
> Hey Tom....This is a Very strong unit!
>
> If any of yall want a PROPER F75 then dont take
> any chances....I have come to KNOW what a GOOD-UN
> from a BAD-UN is like,,, and Tom seems to be
> selling GOOD-UNS...
>
> Keith

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
May 10, 2015 05:49AM
Keith make sure you test the backlight on a zero moon night, as it'll seem OK on a full moon night, but on a zero moon night it's blinding.
May 10, 2015 06:05AM
Yes its a fine unit Bryanna...

my T2 v2 is not quite up to par as the Dec 2014 or the Jan 2015..it's a July 2014 proto model though so it might of got tweaked later..

Yes Sharp as you probably have read in my post a thousand times now the cutoff point for the depth is 4 bar...3 and below and the FTP units are in a league of their own...

in 4 bar and above I Turn the b.p. off and go to default and use a very brisk sweep...those iron grunts in a slower sweep will turn tohigh tones when you get the sweep just right...

I listen for a deeper rounder sounding grunt in normal sweep then i increase sweep speed on suspected targets and if the go high I dig...I've done it alot...you won't belive the deep civil war buttons I've dug out of 5 Bar dirt at depth doing this...I mean 8 plus inch buttons...3 ringers too...BP mode won't do it..it's counterproductive..

there's some other settings I implement for depth on the default mode in bad dirt but sweep speed increase is huge for ferrous Vs non ferrous I.D. at depth..

-Nikola Tesla
May 10, 2015 12:08PM
....... and I have only one remaining F75LTD/2 (that is 90% validated/certified) left in my inventory.

It does seem like the detector Mfr'ing world chases Fisher/FTP for depth performance...... as if Fisher/FTP is the 'bench' to match.

And it also does seem like Fisher/FTP shot themselves in the foot with the advent of the Fe3O4 bargraph. Now with enough collected aggregate data........ it appears 4-bar dirt mineralization ....is the turning-point whereby..... the Fisher/Tek units are (on average) approximately 'parallel' to most other units. Any higher mineralization.... and other detectors/brands may perform better. Less mineralization..... and ...... in general..... the depth advantage goes to Fisher/Tek. BUT...... did Fisher/FTP shoot themselves in the foot.... or educate the world about mineralization............. so we can 'learn' from it....... and invent accordingly.
May 10, 2015 02:30PM
Like a young violin player - to them a Stradivarius sounds just like the beginner violin - but in the hands of a master they are truly very different instruments. I defer to the master. Liking the Racer i hunt lots of trash and felt for the first time (maybe I should say heard) the advantage she has in iron and mixed trash locations. I am still a beginner but she is starting to sing a sweeter song. Thanks

Keith Southern Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes its a fine unit Bryanna...
>
> my T2 v2 is not quite up to par as the Dec 2014 or
> the Jan 2015..it's a July 2014 proto model though
> so it might of got tweaked later..
>
> Yes Sharp as you probably have read in my post a
> thousand times now the cutoff point for the depth
> is 4 bar...3 and below and the FTP units are in a
> league of their own...
>
> in 4 bar and above I Turn the b.p. off and go to
> default and use a very brisk sweep...those iron
> grunts in a slower sweep will turn tohigh tones
> when you get the sweep just right...
>
> I listen for a deeper rounder sounding grunt in
> normal sweep then i increase sweep speed on
> suspected targets and if the go high I dig...I've
> done it alot...you won't belive the deep civil war
> buttons I've dug out of 5 Bar dirt at depth doing
> this...I mean 8 plus inch buttons...3 ringers
> too...BP mode won't do it..it's
> counterproductive..
>
>
> there's some other settings I implement for depth
> on the default mode in bad dirt but sweep speed
> increase is huge for ferrous Vs non ferrous I.D.
> at depth..
>
>
>
>
> ...

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
May 10, 2015 05:46PM
Tom I remember when the T2 original came out with the nice large bindered manual...( Gave it substance feel to do that to the manual by the way)..

I flipped through it and got to the part about the F.E.meter and the explanation on how to use it for black sand alert's and also even fire pits and such in a archaeological sense...And I thought to my self...Now thats OUTSIDE THE BOX thinking!!!

And at first I was using it in all the WRONG ways...till the light came on after a few weeks and it hit me on how to apparoach a site with higher F.E. number's..I Knew what Mineraliaztion did to targets before that, but to be able to GAUGE what you cant see and put it to use for a more pecise hunt is PRICELESS in what it brings to the table...

Yes now I crave to Know my Mineral Index...and Yes it has come to be sort of a STANDARD for us to relate soil intensity..

Lots of new comers in the world of detecting design here of late and most welcome to see but it takes someone with decades of experience in detector design to OPEN a new avenue ...

Dave has a real Gift in terms of UNDERSTANDING soil....and having a Quest to BEAT it...One of the great Designers of the modern Era...and Look at the machines he desinged for different companys... they all seem to be the best machine the company has had to offer!!! That can not be overlooked..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 10, 2015 06:17PM
Thats Great Bryanna..

Its easy to get in the groove tonal wise with the Racer...

Hope you find your dream target with it..

Keith

-Nikola Tesla
May 10, 2015 10:35PM
I know what your saying Cal...But this one is well below 50% on intensity.....I actually used it in complete darkness no moon for 15 minutes and it did not cause problems...The others will blind you even at dusk dark....

I sort of wonder if all the lights are lit up in this unit...I mean its very Sublte but it works all the same..Im not complaining..LOL..

Almost like looking through limo window tint ...

Heres a Pic...Is anyones elses this Low. Lit ..if so maybe they have turned them back...its about like the backlight on a F19 set on 2

Keith

-Nikola Tesla

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2015 11:18PM by Keith Southern.
May 11, 2015 09:40AM
Keith, .... It is great to see more and more end-user/detectorists utilizing the Fe3O4 tool (bargraph) to a real-world/real-dirt "awareness" intel status. It is exactly this type of intelligence that can make a night-and-day difference in end-resultant performance. Even if it means: I have to use a different detector.... because of this Culpeper, VA 5-bar dirt.

Detectorists can make a more 'wise' decision.......................... and Mfr's/DE's can invent/create with a more wise/astute database for greatly enhanced future resultant(s). This is also to say (due to the advent of the Fe3O4 bargraph); Many Mfr's have 'revisited' the Pulse Induction concept....... with different/greater motive/intensity.

Dave Johnson has educated many!
May 11, 2015 01:12PM
I can't wait to see the next big thing from Dave Johnson and the guys over there. Pulse induction?

Discrimination is the root of all evil.