Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Do you think detector technology has peaked

Posted by guvmore 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Do you think detector technology has peaked
May 12, 2015 06:16PM
What do you predict will come next, pulltabs,nickels,gold often read the same. The older I get I sure can not dig every signal it's often a tradeoff.
Can the present technology that costs tens of thousands ever be affordable on a hobby detector? I beleive there are instruments that can analise gold content, real or fake diamonds.
If the holy grail of detectors was invented would money to purchase hold you back?
Re: Do you think detector technology has peaked
May 12, 2015 07:22PM
An instrument that can analise? I guess you meant analyse?

Back on topic, I think one of the most likely ways detectors will improve in the future is they will become cheaper.
May 12, 2015 08:32PM
Pimento Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An instrument that can analise? I guess you meant
> analyse?
>
> Back on topic, I think one of the most likely ways
> detectors will improve in the future is they will
> become cheaper.

Yes" analyse "not good with spelling, many entry level detectors are very well priced, for me need something unique before will put big bucks on a new detector, afterall it starts with location first.
Maybe my expectations are impossible like alchemy.
May 12, 2015 09:15PM
Pimento Wrote:
> An instrument that can analise? I guess you meant
> analyse?
>
> Back on topic, I think one of the most likely ways
> detectors will improve in the future is they will
> become cheaper.

Ha! leave it to you to pick that one up....pretty funny Pimento, lol. Are you in England with that spelling? Over here I believe it's analyze.
May 12, 2015 09:47PM
I want to see further advanced imaging or ground penetrating radar on a VLF or PI handheld unit. Look at a target before breaking the ground.
May 12, 2015 09:51PM
Unfortunately so many different sizes of gold rings and so many elements added to make them more durable presents problems for detector manufacturers.Coupled with limited profits for a hobby such as ours with a limited members not going to happen..Now if it was hunting or fishing where the members are endless and the profits high much more bucks available for retooling and research. All we are getting now for the most part new paint job colors and different names for the same functions.
May 12, 2015 10:17PM
I'm sure there's lots of things coming along that will steadily make machines better. But the fundamental problem will always be there: The weakest targets give a signal many times smaller than the ground that they're buried in.

And, yes, I'm in England, hence the S not Z.
May 12, 2015 10:18PM
A PI system with discrimination and TID. For under $1000. That would be something.
May 12, 2015 10:31PM
I don't think anything you can think of has peaked yet. Cost of manufacturing is coming down looks like too, for some companies. As with most hobbies/lifestyles/passions things are changing so fast that technological barriers are almost nonexistant, just cost to the end user could be a problem, with some manufacturers, again. I consider some of the well known companies as hostage takers of us in all lifestyle/hobbies we seek. When people think the more something cost the better it is which is where we're at seems it's making things cost so much more. That's not the case with some of the newcomers here on our soil and I hope it stays that way. What worries me, well not really lol. People want something to take the place of good common sense and their own brain function. Well, that isn't going to happen if you ask me. However using your brain can be a struggle for some. If that's the case why not just have 2 lights on any detector. A dig light and a don't dig light. You know though, that would be the machine/person, finding all the good stuff if you think about it. Mmmmm
May 12, 2015 10:43PM
Have tech breakthroughs peaked? Nah...it comes and goes in fits and starts. There'll always be something new down the road.

Personally, I'd just like to see some of the existing patents developed into product.

White's has a patent for a hybrid half-wave VLF/PI that should make identifying ladies gold rings much easier. In theory.
Since most ladies gold falls into the foil range, and PIs can barely see foil, it has the potential to 'stack the odds' in favor of at least minimizing digging for foil while ring hunting.

There's also a patent out for a non-motion/full discrimination detector that promises to be far more accurate with TID.
That looks kinda fun to try, as well.

"If the holy grail of detectors was invented would money to purchase hold you back?"
It hasn't held any of us back, yet... smiling smiley
May 12, 2015 10:45PM
Jack Flynn Wrote:
> I don't think anything you can think of has peaked
> yet. Cost of manufacturing is coming down looks
> like too, for some companies. As with most
> hobbies/lifestyles/passions things are changing so
> fast that technological barriers are almost
> nonexistant, just cost to the end user could be a
> problem, with some manufacturers, again. I
> consider some of the well known companies as
> hostage takers of us in all lifestyle/hobbies we
> seek. When people think the more something cost
> the better it is which is where we're at seems
> it's making things cost so much more. That's not
> the case with some of the newcomers here on our
> soil and I hope it stays that way. What worries
> me, well not really lol. People want something to
> take the place of good common sense and their own
> brain function. Well, that isn't going to happen
> if you ask me. However using your brain can be a
> struggle for some. If that's the case why not just
> have 2 lights on any detector. A dig light and a
> don't dig light. You know though, that would be
> the machine/person, finding all the good stuff if
> you think about it. Mmmmm

Not sure re common sense, it's common sense that junk/treasure read on most part the same, is it worth digging 1,000 pulltabs for 1 gold ring, not to me.
Sure we can use common sense like going to sport fields hunting the busy centre sections where likely a lot of gold rings go missing, but that is more work then common sense.
May 12, 2015 10:51PM
Im hoping that George Payne will get back in the game for one last detector. Maybe he could design a brand new Mark 1 with some new features? We really havent had any new innovations in detectors since notch was introduced on the Mark 1 back in 1985. Features have been given to us in different ways but nothing new. But with technology something will come along.
May 13, 2015 02:11AM
They make small improvements it will have to be a PI hybird that gets us all wanting to have our hands on one at a cost we can afford..but for now I think the deus has the best upgrades and improvments The racer is a nice machine and the F19 getting better at hunting in iron that is where a lot of finds are and you have to have an ear for it. it is not easy

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 13, 2015 04:07AM
got a "gut" feeling that a "breakthrough in in technical expertise is imminent!
with so many advancements in electronics in the most recent past,i believe
"something" is inevitable!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
May 13, 2015 07:45AM
the germans are big on GPR its just a metter of time before they condense the big rigs into tiny packaging , radar chips are cheap and available now
May 13, 2015 10:58AM
As I understand it, GPR works best on larger targets. Radar frequencies can't go much above 1 GHz due to high absorption of the signal by water. And the smallest detectable object is determined by the RF wavelength, about 1/4 wavelength in size, likely. So this determines the smallest target size as around 3 inches / 70mm.

The effective use of stereo audio has only been crudely done, to date (Nautilus / Rutus Jupiter etc). I think there's the possibility to present more info to the user, using some slightly more advanced methods.

A "cordless Sunray Probe" would be a nice toy, but it would be expensive.