Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

T2/F75

Posted by Lawrenzo 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
T2/F75
March 09, 2007 10:36PM
OK Tom I know you played with both the F75 and T2 and I have read a lot about the F75 and its nice package.
Now how about the nity gritty? Deeper? Faster? Unmasking in iron? What do you think or anyone think. I know it is early in the game and I know when all is said and done White's will have something new on the market along with I would think a few other of the big Compaines.

Thanks LCPM/Lawrenzo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2012 01:59PM by Lawrenzo.
Re: T2/F75
March 10, 2007 05:22PM
I have been running various F-75 Proto's for several months now.... and I must say there is legitimate justification as to why I DID NOT report any initial findings with early generation Proto's.... as the final product differs dramatically from the original Proto, in respect to operating characteristics.

In a nut-shell:
* F-75 most closely resembles T-Square (T-2), but with much more power/Sens.
* F-75 is approx. 1.5" deeper on a U.S. dime vs. T-2.
* T-2 is High Resolution Iron Discrimination (Disc of: 00 - 40).
* F-75 is High Resolution Aluminum Discrimination (Iron Disc is 00 - 15).
* F-75 has up to 300% greater sensitivity to small gold (vs. T-2).
* F-75 has tremendous gain on small gold when Disc is reduced to '0'.
* F-75 incorporates CZ-3D "old coins" Specs, 4-Tone, VCO pinpoint, nickel hi-tone. ---Nickel window is slightly widened.... and 'old generation' coins audibly report as 3rd-highest tone in the 4-tone mode. (( Sounds similar to the "relic" tone on CZ-70 )). All 4 tones similar to CZ-70. (Comfort zone not infringed).
* F-75 & T-2 has microprocessor (identical - audible) extremely enhanced adjacent target separation characteristics..... as fast as...and possibly faster then human brain comprehension.
* F-75 & T-2 coil electromagnetic footprint is identical. ( Tightest DD footprint in the industry ).
* F-75 vs. T-2 (in 2, 3 & 4 tone modes) Identical target separation (in iron or alum trash).... except F-75 has more sensitivity,,,,giving better audible resolution on non-Fe targets (especially deeper targets).
* F-75 VDI on Cu dime = '72' and on Ag dime = '74'. (High Resolution Aluminum Discrimination can also be viewed upon as: High Resolution Coins Discrimination).
* F-75 is a noisy machine due to extreme levels of Sensitivity capabilities ....and,,,, to a beginner/newbie, it may be quite difficult to understand its language. T-2 users will have zero problems - seemless transition. Remember; In most cases the 'chatter' you hear with the T-2/F-75 (in actuality) is not 'chatter'.... rather, it is tiny (or deep) pieces of metal. And also remember (especially w/F-75) it allows the operator to "overdrive" the Sensitivity because there are some physical areas where this is do'able (and prefered).
* F-75 has slightly less electrical/electrostatic interference problems vs. T-2 & Coin$trike.
* T-2 turned out to be a very serious 'relic' hunter (not intensionally). F-75 was intended/targeted to be more of a 'coins' hunter; however, in reality, I have verified it is a 'coins' hunter (more so then T-2) and a premium 'relic' hunter.
* Be careful; 'masked and/or deep coins' will give low 'Confidence' LCD readings.
* Moderately Fe-masked targets are mostly undetectable to other detectors, whereas F-75 will report the non-ferrous target in co-locate with iron. In these cases, do not rely on VDI numbers.... as the F-75 will homogenate/mix...and usually "up-average" the VDI numeric reading. Most places hunted, masking is severe.
* F-75 has identical depth (with proper ID) capabilities to CZ (w/8" coil) in Florida inert soil.
* F-75 has nearly identical depth (with proper ID) capabilities to CZ in Georgia red laterite. (Some areas the Fe3O4 (magnetite) LCD bar-graph easily pegged w/T-2 & F-75).
* Of noteworthy interest; T-2 & F-75 are single Freq units.... and parallel the multi-freq CZ in the department of depth.
* F-75 not indended as a wet-salt beach unit; however, performance is okay.
* Dry sand performance is tremendous if config'd properly.
* CZ & F-75 on coin-sized targets (in most cases) have nearly identical depth capabilities and overall performance (in most parts of the country); HOWEVER, in medium-light, medium, medium-heavy & heavy trash areas the F-75 is far superior in adjacent target separation capabilities. Once again; "depth" vs. "EFFECTIVE depth" (See Fisher Intelligence - 6th edition for expanded explanation).
* In clear/trash-free fields in Georgia severe red lateritic dirt, Minelab Explorer is superior to F-75/CZ/T-2. In same dirt, ...in medium-low, medium, medium-high & high trash areas the F-75 (& T-2) are far superior to all others (including Minelab & CZ). Microprocessor of Minelab is unacceptably slow. Keep in mind; approx 80% of the areas we hunt are medium-low (and higher) trash areas. Where people cohabit the most..... is where most finds will be located.
* In a Fe trashy area, hunting behind a CZ/Explorer..... the F-75 will give appearance the area may have never been hunted.

On a personal note: Hunted an old home-site in Georgia. Heavily nail infested. Explorer was quiet. Excessively quiet. Audio threshold was constantly nulled (due to Fe nail infestation dirt). CZ was 'chattery'. Any/All CZ & Explorer performance were 'shut-down' due to severe handicap in nails. F-75 was 'noisy' but found MANY non-ferrous targets that CZ & Exp could not see (head-to-head verified/validated). F-75 could see non-Fe targets to depths of approx 3"...where as CZ & Exp could only see surface targets semi-reliably. ---- Hunted several other areas with similar performance. ...Explorer is too slow to 'reset' between adjacent targets.
* Deliberately run the F-75 a bit noisy.
* Optional coils to follow. Be patient.

Thomas J. Dankowski
Thanks NASA-Tom... Great info!
March 11, 2007 01:26AM
You made some great observations and points! Thanks for your diligent work in the hobby.
Re: Thanks NASA-Tom... Great info!
March 11, 2007 03:31AM
One other thing I need to say;

* F-75 can be set up to run quiet/stable/non-"chattery". ( I always have the tendency to push things to max limits ).

Tom
March 11, 2007 05:42AM
Tom that is a lot of great info...if I can ask you this question? From what you wrote above are you a T2 user or F75 user now. Is the F75 an improvment on the T2? I use the T2 for relic hunting but don't like it for turf hunting. Which detector would you use now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2007 01:26PM by Lawrenzo.
March 11, 2007 01:54PM
At this point in time, I have just a few hundred hours on the F-75. Here are my current hunting preferences;

* CZ-3D w/10.5" coil for the salt beach. (Sov/Excal are a close 2nd).
* CZ-3D w/10.5" coil for relics & old coins in open fields where targets are sparce. This config still retains best depth capabilities. (Mostly because a large coil for F-75 is unavail yet).
* Where I would normally hunt inland with CZ & 8" coil,,,, I find myself choosing F-75. (Find some handicapped/difficult targets with CZ..... then try the F-75 on exact same target). Also recommend reading Head-To-Head Comparison Testing article.
* If I am relic hunting in a nail infested site..... it's nearly a toss-up between T-2 and F-75......although I lean towards F-75 due to better audible resolution and greater depth of F-75. I have years of T-2 "comfort zone" experience...... and hard to break old 'confidence factor' habits,,,,,, although (now) on several occasions, I have clearly proven a several percent improvement in performance of F-75 over T-2. I still like the 'monotone' language of the T-2 better,,,, primarily due to these 'years of experience' comfort-zone again...... not that the F-75 is really much different.

Tom
March 19, 2007 02:40PM
Hi Tom,

I am a T2 user that just purchased a F75, and I have a few questions about the F75.

Do you think the F75 is a hotter detector than the T2? I ask this question because I have to turn the sensitivity much further down on the F75 than I do my T2.

Example: T2 set at 70, F75 set at 45 for the same area that I have hunted with the T2 before. The T2 runs mush quieter than the F75 at higher sensitivity settings. Overall, the think the T2 is a much quieter detector!

If I run the F75 in the default mode with discrimination set at 60 and with no notching turned on, I am receiving multiple ID numbers 60 and above, with little or no audio response. When I hear a good audio response I also receive a good locked in ID number. Is this normal for the F75?

I maybe wrong, but I don't think the T2's ID display jumps around as much as the F75's.

I also think the T2 pinpoints a little better than the F75. The T2 seems to have a smaller pinpoint footprint than the F75 with coins. I have almost not dug a few targets that I thought were not good hits, because in the F75 pinpoint mode the footprint seemed to large and sounded more like aluminum than a good coin hit.

Like you my comfort level with the T2 is high! Maybe I need to get out and use the F75 a lot more.

I am going to give the F75 a good shot, but at the same time the T2's simple user interface is a joy to use. Improving the T2 with notching and maybe a backlight display would have been enough for me.

The F75 is a powerful detector, but do I really need all its power. We will see!

Thanks, Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2007 03:00PM by BTaylor.
March 19, 2007 10:25PM
Hi Bill,

The F-75 is quite a bit hotter then the T-Square (T-2). On the F-75, a Sens setting of '45' is ~ equiv to a T-2 setting of '92' in Florida soil. BUT..... Sens settings are not linear,,,, so we are comparing apples-to-oranges. A bad comparison.
... And with your Disc on '60' and 'jumpy' ID numbers above '60'. Hmmmmm,,,, sounds like electrical/electrostatic interference. I presume the T-2 will do the exact thing in this exact area at nearly the exact time. If your T2 is stable in this exact area,,,, your F-75 may have a defect. Try different areas with the F-75 and see if this problem exists ONLY on the F-75....... and not the T-2. If so,,, then problem is isolated to F-75. Verify coil connector is snug. ---Does the F-75 exibit these 'unstable/jumpy' characteristics with the coil held stationary in the air? Let's find out what this interference problem is first!

Tom
March 20, 2007 02:57AM
Hi Tom,

I need to do some further testing but yes my F75 will display unstable characteristics when held stationary in the air when my T2 is stable in the same location. If my thinking is correct I need to do some further testing with my T2 and F75.

If the F75 is not stable and the T2 is stable at a sensitivity of 60, then turning the sensitivity down on the F75 until it becomes stable is the solution.

I just tried the above in my back yard, and I was able turn down the sensitivity of the F75 to 35 and then it was then stable.

I also just randomly walk around the yard with both the T2 and the F75 set to their default setting. I started with the F75 and I expected it to give me some type of audio response with every swing of the detector, but to my surprise it was relatively quiet. I then tried the T2 in its default mode and it gave me what I expected with the F75, numerous audio responses. This is not the first time I have tried different detectors in my yard with the same responses, I get from the T2 walking about in a random manner.

I then walked a straight line (same path) from one point to another of about 30 feet in distance with both the T2 and the F75 set to there default settings. The T2 was picking up targets in the ground on just about every swing of the detector, but over the same distance and path the F75 only gave an indication of a target only 4 or 5 times, when the T2 responded at least 20 or more times.

Since it was dark, I was only using an audio response on both detectors to indicate a target. What do you think?

If I am not receiving an audio response, when I am getting a target ID with the F75, that would explain the display acting as though it is giving multiple ID's with little or no audio. I realize iron is notched out on the F75 in the default mode.

If you can try the T2 and F75 as I did and let me know your findings!

Thanks, Bill
March 20, 2007 09:39PM
Very helpful information

I have a question? I use 4H tones. You mention that it has the CZ3D "old coin" feature. Using the 4H setting, would I still get a coin signal on old coins?

Thanks,

Alton
March 21, 2007 01:00AM
Hi Tom,

With the help of Mike Hillis I have figured out why the T2 will detect certain targets, and the F75 does not detect to the same targets in its default mode. As you well know there is a difference in the ranges of iron between the T2 and the F75.

The F75's discrimination needs to be turned down from its default value of 10 to more closely match the T2's. I made a wrong assumption that the default modes were a closer match, but they are not.

Like you, I have a high comfort level with the T2, that gets in the way when it comes to learning the F75. I just need to forget the T2 for the time being.

Thanks for you help, Bill

BTaylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Tom,
>
> I need to do some further testing but yes my F75
> will display unstable characteristics when held
> stationary in the air when my T2 is stable in the
> same location. If my thinking is correct I need to
> do some further testing with my T2 and F75.
>
> If the F75 is not stable and the T2 is stable at a
> sensitivity of 60, then turning the sensitivity
> down on the F75 until it becomes stable is the
> solution.
>
> I just tried the above in my back yard, and I was
> able turn down the sensitivity of the F75 to 35
> and then it was then stable.
>
> I also just randomly walk around the yard with
> both the T2 and the F75 set to their default
> setting. I started with the F75 and I expected it
> to give me some type of audio response with every
> swing of the detector, but to my surprise it was
> relatively quiet. I then tried the T2 in its
> default mode and it gave me what I expected with
> the F75, numerous audio responses. This is not the
> first time I have tried different detectors in my
> yard with the same responses, I get from the T2
> walking about in a random manner.
>
>
> I then walked a straight line (same path) from one
> point to another of about 30 feet in distance with
> both the T2 and the F75 set to there default
> settings. The T2 was picking up targets in the
> ground on just about every swing of the detector,
> but over the same distance and path the F75 only
> gave an indication of a target only 4 or 5 times,
> when the T2 responded at least 20 or more times.
>
> Since it was dark, I was only using an audio
> response on both detectors to indicate a target.
> What do you think?
>
> If I am not receiving an audio response, when I am
> getting a target ID with the F75, that would
> explain the display acting as though it is giving
> multiple ID's with little or no audio. I realize
> iron is notched out on the F75 in the default
> mode.
>
> If you can try the T2 and F75 as I did and let me
> know your findings!
>
> Thanks, Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2007 01:03AM by BTaylor.
March 21, 2007 11:05PM
Although there is a Sens difference between the T2 & F-75,,,,,, both detectors should easily be stable (minimal/no chatter) at Sens settings of '80'. I still have concern about your F-75. Where the T2 is stable,,,, your F-75 should also be stable. A Sens setting of '35' to ascertain stability does not sound healthy,,,, assuming no external induced interference. If F-75 is unstable in a few different parts of town,,,,,, I would suspect unit is defective. ((( And if it requires high Discrim settings to quiet the unit.... this is also not good! )))

Tom
It's T2 Time1
March 23, 2007 01:11AM
Hi Tom,

Here is a copy of an email that I sent to Mike Hillis in New Mexico. I do not know if you know him, but he also tested the F75 before it was released for sale. He also tested the T2 for First Texas.

Thanks for your observations and help. I will let you know if First Texas/ Fisher fixes my problem with the F75.

Thanks again, Bill

Email below:

Hi Mike,

After running some more test between the T2 and F75, I called Fisher. I am sending the detector back to them to see if they can and fix the problem with stability.

My T2 is much more stable then the F75 I received eight days ago. Basically the F75 I purchased would not perform in the same manner as my T2 when they are both configured with there default settings. Also increasing the discrimination to maximum on F75 did not correct the problem with its stability.

Essentially to stop the F75 from displaying false ID's with little or no audio response, I would have to turn the sensitivity down to 35 or below. At this point I would notice a reduction in responsiveness to probable targets in the ground.

I went to a soccer field that I have hunted before with the T2. When I use the T2 on that field, I can set the sensitivity to 80 and above with no stability problems.

I stood in the middle of the field with each detector set to their default modes. I tried each detector in the same spot, same direction, and with the other machine turned off. The T2 was quiet while the F75 displayed random ID's, up to ten or more a minute, with little or no audio. I then changed the sensitivity on each detector to 80 with there respective discriminations set to maximum with the same results observed.

I then placed each detectors coil on the ground in a stationary manner with the same results. While the T2 is quiet, the F75 randomly displays ID's with no or reduced audio response.

The same goes if I pinpoint an area in the ground with no metal pinpointed. I then swung each detector's coils over the same ground searching for a target, when I knew there was no target to detect. Same results as above.

Under the same conditions the F75 is more unstable in my back yard than at the soccer field, while the T2 is stable.

The F75 seems to be acting as though it is an antenna. I will keep you informed.

Thanks, Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2007 01:19AM by BTaylor.
Problem with F75 determined!
March 24, 2007 03:08AM
Hi Tom,

It finally dawned on me what is causing the problem with my F75. The detector is
stable in the default mode, but when you starting increasing the discrimination
the detector starts displaying random false ID numbers and false audio responses
above the discrimination selected.

If you decide to notch in one of the categories below the discrimination
setting, those ID numbers are also randomly displayed along with the ID numbers
above the selected maximum discrimination.

I do not know why this is happing with my F75, and reducing the sensitivity to
extremely low settings really does not help or correct the problem.

I have also included below is a copy of the letter that I sent with the detector.

Hello Veronica,

I purchased a F75 on March 12th, please see attached invoice, with excited
expectations. The first time I used the detector I set it up in the default mode
with the discrimination set to 65. As I hunted a local park, I noticed it was
giving me randomly false ID numbers with faint or weak audio responses above 65.
These false ID numbers and false audio responses were not repeatable as the coil
was swung over the ground. If I notched in the nickel range for example, the
detector would also start displaying false ID numbers with false audio in that
range too.

To best demonstrate the detector's problem, I used my T2 detector to located a
spot in the ground were there was no metal detected. I used the detectors
pinpoint mode to find a location void of metal. Once this was done, I swung each
detector's coils over the same ground searching for a target, when I knew there
was no target to detect. Both detectors were setup in their default modes, with
only the discrimination set to maximum on each detector, 80 for the T2 and 65
for the F75.

The T2 was completely quiet with no ID numbers displayed and also no audio
responses heard. On the other hand my new F75 would display false ID numbers
along with false audio responses as I searched the area, which was void of
metal. Reducing the detectors sensitivity did not correct the problem with false ID’s and false audio.

If the F75’s discrimination is not changed from its default setting, the false
ID numbers and false audio responses are not generated. Increasing the
discrimination increases the likelihood of generating false ID numbers and false audio responses, however.

Also, with maximum discrimination turned on, my F75 will generate random false
ID numbers and false audio responses when the detector is held outside about
three feet off the ground. This was tried at different outside locations with
the same results. The T2 does not does not do this! As you can imagine, I am a
little disappointed that my F75 had this problem right out of the box.

Please call or email me when the F75 is repaired and shipped back to me. If at
all possible please furnish me with a tracking number, so that I can have some
idea when to expect the detectors return.

Sincerely,

William H. Taylor

Tom, I will let you know if they fix the problem.

Thanks, Bill
Re: Problem with F75 determined!
March 24, 2007 03:45AM
It truly looks like you have a defective unit. Things like this do happen...... just wish it would not happen at all! I'm certain that FTP/FRL will take care of you. If he has time.... you could call Dave Johnson or John Gardiner; although it sounds like you have the return process in progress already. Keep us posted!

Sincerely,

Tom
Re: T2/F75 CORRECTION
March 24, 2007 11:57AM
CORRECTION - CORRECTION - CORRECTION

The Sensitivity 'scaling' and operating parameters on the final production F-75's is now more linear. A Sens setting of '82' on the F-75 is ~equiv to a T-2 Sens setting of '92' on U.S. dimes & pennies. And there is a fairly large difference on the F-75 when Sens is increased from '82' to '99'. MY ERROR for reporting info to the public that was derived/generated from a later (near production) PROTOTYPE! Also, there is a fairly/measurable difference on the F-75 when Sens is changed from '90' to '99'. Increasing Disc does effect depth..... especially on lower conductive non-ferrous targets.

H.I.H.

Tom
Second F75!
April 06, 2007 02:06PM
Hi Tom,

I sent my first F75 back to Fisher, and they could not duplicate the problem that I was experiencing at there location. They seem to think that it is some type of outside interference and shielding problem. They give my field detector to engineering. Fisher also said I was the first person to return a F75!

As I stated in my post on March 23rd, false ID numbers occur at my location here in Virginia, when the detector's discrimination is increased. If the detector's discrimination is set in the default mode of 10 there is no problem.

I have talked to some other F75 owners that have experienced similar problems when using their detectors in an urban area, but when they detect in the country the problem is not noted.

Fisher sent me a new detector that gives false ID numbers just as the first F75 did as its’ the discrimination is increased.

What really bugs me is that my T2 does not experience the problems displayed by the F75. The F75 was supposed to be a more stable and quieter detector than the
T2, but that is not the case.

I mostly hunt for coins so using discrimination and notching are some features that I would use more than someone that only does relic hunting.

I may be wrong, but I have the feeling that as the discrimination is increased the sensitivity is also increased with the F75. If this is the case then that would explain why the F75 acts way it does in some urban area locations, and to quite it down you have to reduce the sensitivity. Do you know any about this?

Is the F75 to hot a detector for its own good, and experiencing some type of internal or external shielding problems? Could it be another coil problem as experience by early T2 detectors? I just get the feeling that the Fisher people know more than they are saying at this time. What are your thoughts?

FTP/FRL was nice to deal with, and I believe they stand behind the F75!

Thanks again, Bill
Re: Second F75!
April 07, 2007 03:35AM
Hi Bill,

I too.... am experiencing SOME interference problems,,,,,,, although mine happens slightly more so at lower Discrim & higher Sens levels. The F-75 does allow the operator to 'overdrive' the unit..... as some areas will allow this. I do not believe the interference problems are coil related. My interference is not just isolated to jumpy VDI numbers.... but is also noted in the audio. I'm trying to isolate something that is a commonality for the cause.... but so far, nothing is concrete. -- Of all the F-75's that I have..... I do not gain more depth or sensitivity as I increase Discrim.

Tom
Second F75!
April 07, 2007 04:16PM
Hi Tom,

Have you been in contact with Fisher about the interference problems? If I disconnect the coil I also experience the same problems as with the coil connected, as you stated jumpy VDI numbers and random audio. I realize this not much of a test, but more of an observation.

I have to turn the sensitivity down to 20 to completely eliminate the problems I experience. I have not done any test on how much depth I am loosing at these low sensitivity settings, but I am!

I am going to try something today to see if the interference is internal or external. The community college where I teach, electronic and electrical technology, has some metal storage building with no electrical or windows. I am going to turn on my F75 in one of these and see what I observe.

I will let you know the results. The T2 may not in the same class as the F75, but it is more of a joy to use where I live, more stable and much less susceptible to interference.

Thanks again, Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2007 05:28PM by BTaylor.
Storage Building Test Results!
April 07, 2007 06:12PM
Hi Tom,

I just got back from the college. With sensitivity (99) and discrimination (65) I experienced no false VDI numbers or false audio responses inside the metal storage building. This proves without a doubt that the interference is external to the detector. I will try to determine the frequency or frequencies of my interference by using a spectrum analyzer that I can borrow from work.

What would be the best way for me to determine how mush depth I am loosing with reduced sensitivity, or do you already have some idea?

I also wish I knew why increasing the discrimination causes false VDI numbers and audio responses with my F75.

At least maybe I can live with reduced sensitivity if my depth does not suffer too much. My question is why build a detector with such high gain that you have to turn the sensitivity down to such low levels to achieve stability in urban areas?

Thanks again for your help, Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2007 06:33PM by BTaylor.
Re: Storage Building Test Results!
April 08, 2007 02:56AM
Hi Bill,

I have just completed nearly the same test. I had access to a 'tempest' box completely shielded from electrostatic, electromagnetic & RF. I ran Sens at '99' and Disc from '65' all the way down to '00'...... then invoking 'JE'. YEP!!! No interference. External source interference variable removed. Problem appears to be triggered by outside world. And , so far..... the older the small towns,,,, the more interference is induced. Seems illogical unless old power-lines come into play. To a much lessor degree.... I have had (on remote occasions) interference problems out in the country...... with no apparent airport FBO sweep radar, radio towers, cell towers, TV towers or any power lines/Sub-stations in sight.

I have been in Comm's with Dave Johnson & John Gardiner regarding this issue. So far, I can not ascertain positive resolution on a specific culprit...... but we are all looking for answers. I do know that a E-DD coil in consort with hi-gain capabilities can really amplify EVERYTHING within the hi-density electromagnetic field-intensity footprint. A detriment that is inherently characteristic of E-DD equipment (that I'm somewhat willing to pay).

It also sounds like you need a test-garden for you to see actual depth capabilities of your unit (and any other units).... as you make any adjustments to your detector. Just remember to absolutely sanitize the dirt BEFORE you bury selected targets. This is performed not only with a detector.....but also with the utilization of VERY strong magnets. You would be surprised as to how 'clean' a parcel of dirt can be to a detector,,,,, until you bury a target fairly shallow,,,,,..... only to find out the target is "Silently Masked"....and is completely undetectable.....,,,,,even at shallow depths. A piece of a rusty staple (from a common household stapler) can silently mask greater than 50% of depth capabilities of said detector...on coin-sized objects,,,,,...,,,,and with that rusty piece of staple never once,,,under any circumstance.... even being detectable to any detector; hence, "Silent Masking" ( I demonstrate Silent Masking in DVD ). I've had friends walk out into their yard,,,,,,, dig a 4" deep hole,,,.... drop a Cu penny in it...and cover the hole. Then,,,..... to their surprise,,,, their detector cannot detect the coin. When they recruit my help; the first thing I perform.... is to take a very strong magnet and sift all dirt on top of.... and surrounding area of the coin. Usually several 'flecks' (tiny pieces) of Fe rust reveals problem. Then coin is easily detected.

Tom
Interference?
April 10, 2007 12:54PM
Hi Tom,

I have tried a few sources of 60 Hz. noise, but unfortunately that is not the culprit. I have not tried a spectrum analyzer yet, but I guess that will be my next move.

Maybe the only solution is to reduce the overall gain of the F75, in other words have a separate sensitivity range for urban areas?

I think you will agree with me in saying that the T2 is less susceptible to interference than the F75. I thought that was supposed to be the other way around?

Please keep me posted as to what you think, and what you learn from FTP/FRL.

Thanks for your help, Bill
Re: Interference?
September 01, 2012 07:32PM
Does the information in this thread still hold true? I was thinking things may have changed since 2007. Is the 8.8 version T2 still slightly outperformed by the newer F75? Thanks.
Re: Interference?
September 02, 2012 03:10AM
What 'specific point(s) in this thread?
If I assume what you are asking........... yes, the F75 SE trumps the T2 SE in most applications. Some relic hunters beg to differ; yet, in my findings...... the F75 SE has slightly greater gain in real dirt...... both with high conductors and low conductors.
September 03, 2012 05:36AM
Tom, that was a class act evaluation! Thanks!
Really appreciate the forwardness and truth of it.

I wished I had brought my F-75 today to the old house I detected.
You hit it right on!
I should have read this last night, AND I KNEW IT ALREADY, just was being stubborn.
And, no good targets (silver) DUG because of all the iron in the ground. Just clad and wheats.
I guess I didn't expect it to be so messy, so opted to leave the F-75 at home.
Grrrr!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 05:38AM by CoilFisher.
September 03, 2012 09:30PM
((( Never leave home without it.... especially the 5" coil ))).