Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Cost Benefit Trade Off for Deep Silver Hunters?

Posted by Mike 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Cost Benefit Trade Off for Deep Silver Hunters?
May 18, 2015 06:29PM
I've often wondered whether it makes any sense to invest serious bucks in a high end detector to park-hunt for silver, when it's highly unlikely that actual silver finds over time will ever cover the cost of your detector purchase. Wouldn't park-hunting for jewelry be more profitable in the long run?
Re: Cost Benefit Trade Off for Deep Silver Hunters?
May 18, 2015 07:04PM
Mike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've often wondered whether it makes any sense to
> invest serious bucks in a high end detector to
> park-hunt for silver, when it's highly unlikely
> that actual silver finds over time will ever cover
> the cost of your detector purchase. Wouldn't
> park-hunting for jewelry be more profitable in the
> long run?

Ive been at this for 30 yrs
Working on my third 5 gallon pail of silver it's harder now!
There is no profit after equiptment,gas,batterries ect!
If you're looking to profit you'd be worlds better off doing something else!
May 18, 2015 07:07PM
Mike Wrote:
> I've often wondered whether it makes any sense to
> invest serious bucks in a high end detector to
> park-hunt for silver, when it's highly unlikely
> that actual silver finds over time will ever cover
> the cost of your detector purchase. Wouldn't
> park-hunting for jewelry be more profitable in the
> long run?

I think it comes down to location again, any basic detector will find targets, if you have good locations then I would say yes go for the best detector money can buy,once the targets start drying up you need more depth by using high end detectors or simply buying larger coils.

Where I live it is too modern to consider buying the high end models, mainly it's location, location will give you the targets that pay for the high end equipment, my 2 cents. HH

My guess if selling detectors there would be more of a loss on the higher end detectors then say against selling a basic Ace model.
May 18, 2015 07:16PM
Silver master Wrote:
> Mike Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've often wondered whether it makes any sense
> to
> > invest serious bucks in a high end detector to
> > park-hunt for silver, when it's highly unlikely
> > that actual silver finds over time will ever
> cover
> > the cost of your detector purchase. Wouldn't
> > park-hunting for jewelry be more profitable in
> the
> > long run
>
>
> Ive been at this for 30 yrs
> Working on my third 5 gallon pail of silver it's
> harder now!
> There is no profit after equiptment,gas,batterries
> ect!
> If you're looking to profit you'd be worlds better
> off doing something else!

+1, thought the chance is there of finding treasure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2015 07:18PM by guvmore.
May 18, 2015 08:16PM
I don't car much about profit. To me it is the thrill of seeing 100 year old silver or copper,nickel what have you come out of the ground. This is like a high to me as you think how different life was for them compared to you. But havin' said that the old spots close to me are either off limits now to detecting or dried up. I know nothin' is hunted out,But it sure can get few and far between. But I just have to go farther away for old silver. Latley though I have been considering closer by newer spots for Clad and Jewelry hunting. Funny a couple years ago I would have turned my nose up at that type of hunting,But a pile of Quarters and maybe a Gold ring or two will change my mind.
May 18, 2015 08:26PM
I think if you want cover your cost then better live by a beach, and water and surf hunt. I know some people kill it on the right beach or at least they say they do.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
May 18, 2015 08:54PM
I've never really considered recouping any monetary value in this hobby. I'll eventually clean clad for the coinstar but it's not a priority. I like playing with the tech/detectors and finding old things as well. The research and detectors themselves are far more interesting to me in the hobby than the finds.
May 18, 2015 09:04PM
So I'm thinking that, if there's a profit to be made in metal detecting, it's probably best found at the beach, or on a Civil War battlefield, or in nugget hunting or perhaps in cache hunting. I just don't think there's enough silver coinage left out there to make searching for it worth one's while.
May 18, 2015 09:15PM
I have found 116 gold rings using mostly a Garrett Ace 250.Which to me proves you do not have to have a high end detector. The gold rings took several years to find.I have several so called high end detectors but the Ace 250 does a better job for me. The 250 is not a high frequency machine but seem for me the best gold ring hunting. Deep silver is another thing. You must have a detector that gets deep for the silver. I do not hunt for silver only gold rings. Been some time since I found a silver coin.....Jack
May 18, 2015 09:15PM
Taking a look at eBay pricing, most worn, common date Mercury and Roosevelt dimes sell for between $1.50 and $2.00. If you can find a rare one is good condition, prices can go up exponentially. I bet you can find 6 to 8 modern quarters (equivalent in value to common date Mercury and Roosevelt dimes) a lot faster and with a lot less heavy digging. But as someone has already observed, the cool factor that you get with old silver isn't there with modern clad.
May 18, 2015 09:28PM
While contemplating if there is a profit in metal detecting---don't quit your day job.
May 18, 2015 09:29PM
yes its not about profit...

its about the quest...

Oh sure every now and then a Stellar find emerges ..but I like to detect and Im as happy LEARNING as I am finding on most days..

As you see from the thread I had going about the SLQ== MODERN silver as I call it ..and yes it could be discouraging to see the prices there really worth ...I mean nice clean coins and they still are not really worth nothing compared to the time and cost it took to get them..

its more for the love of doing it if your after MODERN Silver than it is for actual value fo finds..

I now Know why a big time prospector friend of mine started Relic hunting....He found out Confederate relics are worth more than gold by the ounce..just buttons fetching thousands fo dollars got is attention..But he looks for money ..I look for the quest and the adventure and the overall history or the item.

Oh sure its fun to dig valuable items occasionally but the overall experience is what im after .. from locating sites to BEATING the sites for your trophy is what drives me and the TOUCHING history is huge for me...and Priceless..

I think a Modern silver hunter 1930's and onward should view it as a Quest and adventure and a learning experience and touching a bygone era more than a get money in your pocket avenue..

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 18, 2015 09:52PM
I care nothing of the monetary value of my finds. It's a hobby like fishing. I can spend $100 on a rod and go catch a big bass. That bass isn't worth any money, but sure was fun to reel in. Same thing with detecting.

Discrimination is the root of all evil.
May 18, 2015 09:57PM
Well let's see. Probably if anyone has made any money with a metal detector it's probably the Ace 250 and bounty hunter users. Hunting places like school yards, sports fields and beaches. Most had better keep their day jobs to be safe.
May 18, 2015 10:05PM
Having a new machine to learn.....finding a rare Civil War bullet or button........seeing that glint of silver in the hole......This hobby has SO MANY enjoyable aspects to it. But to be brutally honest.......I would be living in deep poverty if I depended on selling my metal detecting finds. But I have seen Youtube vids (especially the California guys who found the gold and silver coins) that really bring to life a desire to 'find the big find' in me. Just my opinion, but to me, metal detecting for profit is sort of playing the lottery only with metal detecting, one has a decided advantage.....such as: finding a good old homeplace or secluded school yard that was pupiled with wealthy students......or something like that. But no matter my opinions.......I wish you the very best of luck in your endeavour!!!! Sincerely.......kevin
May 18, 2015 10:34PM
I've dug a 1793 chain cent in my quest guys & that's like Kieth said a quest. I look at it as a hobby nothing more. I live in south central PA. There's nothing but old history here & that's what I'm after with my detectors. Now I've never sold a thing. I hord my finds. I have thousands of civil war relics in my collection. Mostly from the Gettysburg campaign. But that's mute I do it & buy new detectors because I love recovering history. I do it for the love of history. I'm always looking for a edge in depth. An inch in depth is the difference between finding a hand full or going home empty handed. I'm into the hand full. Just saying. HH
May 18, 2015 11:12PM
AH...its obvious you never experienced the glint of a silver coin or a gold ring......
A serious detectorist would rather find a silver coin than fill his pouch with clad for sure.
Many directions to go in this hobby in any case the thrill of the hunt no matter which direction you go is what its all about...
If your in the hobby for profit you could make more flipping burgers in the local fast food outfit......
May 19, 2015 02:10AM
For me, detecting is an escape from all of the pressures of life. All I have to do is focus and "FolowTheBeep". No kids fighting, bosses to answer to, or chores to worry about; just " FollowTheBeep". I made a deal with my wife that I won't buy a new detector until the current one pays for itself so I do get excited when I find something of value but honestly I get more excited when I win the game of calling a find before I dig or when I think it's a pull tab and it turns out to be a war nickel.

Clad & Jewelry keep my wife happy, her letting me go hunt without a fight keeps me happy. Whether I have an Ace, Racer, or GPZ 7000 is really less relevant to the actual act of hunting than the opportunity. The value of the tool is not in what it finds but in the entertainment value it provides in the search. That's my ROI.
May 19, 2015 02:27AM
I think if we are honest with our selfs the chance of finding something very valuable is always on our minds when detecting - not on top but somewhere it is there. But also being honest those that continue with this hobby also love discovery and exploration and have at least a bit of appreciation for history. It is this aspect of the hobby that keeps us going not the hope of finding big - most of us seem to be realists and now the big finds are few and very far between.

Bryanna - Nebraska

Current - New to me but not new MXT Pro and T2 SE2 - Previous Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Safari, Whites DFX, Whites Eagle Spectrum
Smile its a good for you!
May 19, 2015 02:42AM
I couldn't say it any better than Dan.

"Minimum wage" days for me when detecting are the exception, not the rule.

Those who are in it for the riches usually drop out of the hobby in short order.
May 19, 2015 02:52AM
I have posted on this forum..."If some company made a detector where it could help us find gold rings from trash and jewlery that would be so great. And the responce was..."Then eveyone would be digging all of the gold out of the parks and that would be no fun it would be too easy." I still don't understnd the thinking behind everyone would be digging gold..Why not dig it?

LowBoy

TAKE A LITTLE TIME KICKBACK AND WATCH SOME OF MY DETECTING VIDEO'S BELOW ON YouTube

[www.youtube.com]

If you don’t dig it, then how are you going to know what you’re missing!
How can you have your pudding if you don’t eat your meat!
May 19, 2015 03:03AM
I've have a lot of fun finding the deeper silver with my high dollar machine. This usually requires more research and concentration.... But I equally enjoy using a lightweight cheaper machine for some "fun" detecting. There's something about a cheap, lightweight and capable machine that just puts the fun into hunting. My Ace 250's, GBP, Xterra 305 and F19 were those machines. But now the Whites Treasure Pro and Fisher F44 look like even more detecting FUN. But to answer your question - It's much easier to pay for a $200 machine than a $2000 machine. I find myself doing more junky jewelry hunting with the cheaper lighter weight machines. This can pay off because there is a lot more gold out there under the guise of foil and tabs just waiting to be dug.

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 03:04AM by khouse.
May 19, 2015 03:40AM
I compare detecting to golf - big expense, some work, some fun, no profit.
May 19, 2015 12:01PM
My first (serious/dedicated) hunt with the original F75 prototype........... and the detector paid for itself in one day/one hunt.
My first (serious/dedicated) hunt with the F75 LTD prototype............... and the detector paid for itself in one day/one hunt.

But...... what made for high order-of-magnitude 'startle factor' was the fact that "where" and "when" I took the original F75. I went into an area whereby ..... all other detectors failed to produce any more non-ferrous items. And this is after several hunts of 'zero' non-ferrous targets being produced.

Then..... The advent of the LTD. I took the LTD to the exact same spot (above) ..... where the standard F75 no longer produced any more non-ferrous implements/targets. In one day...... on it's maiden voyage...... the LTD (F75) paid for itself.

Is this to be considered a 'fluke/freak' extenuating circumstance for such incursion? Absolutely not! When you have enough skillset...... and are tuned to the dirt......... you will easily find proper application for the unique 'niche' of a new-technology detector.

Am I after 'dollars/money'. Absolutely not! Rather: "The thrill-of-the-find". . . . . and "The thrill of technological/human advancement".

For the record; I've had identical experiences with the GMP, Gold Bug-2, AquaStar-II........ and a host of other units.
May 19, 2015 12:46PM
Well..Im in construction...in Cal...and when the housing fell apart around here 8 or so years ago, I sold all the common silver, incidental gold finds, and even the $20 gold coin I found...it put food on the table. Also sold my detectors, lol. Pretty much all was found with a beat to hell Sovereign.
May 19, 2015 06:55PM
deathray Wrote:
> Well..Im in construction...in Cal...and when the
> housing fell apart around here 8 or so years ago,
> I sold all the common silver, incidental gold
> finds, and even the $20 gold coin I found...it put
> food on the table. Also sold my detectors, lol.
> Pretty much all was found with a beat to hell
> Sovereign.
I thought I was the only one? I too am a contractor. Around 2007 - 8 things went to crap as you know! I sold my 3 machines, newer silver, jewelry (40+ silver rings ++) and gold (earrings, chains and rings) that I thought I would never sell. Then bought 1 cheaper machine so I wouldn't go crazy. It took a few years before I could upgrade my machine. I miss everything I sold but had to do it because in reality it's a hobby and food and electricity are more important. Not a lot of people know what it's like to go broke in about 6 months after being successful for 25+ years... My business has never reached what it was before the collapse.... On another forum a guy was wanting funding through gofundme so he could upgrade his machine. Shoot I started mowing yards and shoveling snow to make ends meet! Hell I'm 54 and still have those yards to mow. It's pretty easy money to be honest......All of them right on my road so I don't need a trailer. Just drive down the road and knock them out.....

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 19, 2015 07:32PM
khouse Wrote:
> deathray Wrote:
> -----
> > Well..Im in construction...in Cal...and when
> the
> > housing fell apart around here 8 or so years
> ago,
> > I sold all the common silver, incidental gold
> > finds, and even the $20 gold coin I found...it
> put
> > food on the table. Also sold my detectors, lol.
> > Pretty much all was found with a beat to hell
> > Sovereign.
> I thought I was the only one? I too am a
> contractor. Around 2007 - 8 things went to crap
> as you know! I sold my 3 machines, newer silver,
> jewelry (40+ silver rings ++) and gold (earrings,
> chains and rings) that I thought I would never
> sell. Then bought 1 cheaper machine so I wouldn't
> go crazy. It took a few years before I could
> upgrade my machine. I miss everything I sold but
> had to do it because in reality it's a hobby and
> food and electricity are more important. Not a
> lot of people know what it's like to go broke in
> about 6 months after being successful for 25+
> years... My business has never reached what it was
> before the collapse.... On another forum a guy was
> wanting funding through gofundme so he could
> upgrade his machine. Shoot I started mowing yards
> and shoveling snow to make ends meet! Hell I'm 54
> and still have those yards to mow. It's pretty
> easy money to be honest......All of them right on
> my road so I don't need a trailer. Just drive down
> the road and knock them out.....

You must of bounced back pretty well as you know swing an Etrac and make Vids with Bill S. I was a Drywall contracter way back when you could make money at it. Ah the good ole' 70's was a boon for sure. Now to much competition with uninsured no overhead types if you know what I mean.
May 19, 2015 07:57PM
Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> khouse Wrote:
> -----
> > deathray Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Well..Im in construction...in Cal...and when
> > the
> > > housing fell apart around here 8 or so years
> > ago,
> > > I sold all the common silver, incidental gold
> > > finds, and even the $20 gold coin I
> found...it
> > put
> > > food on the table. Also sold my detectors,
> lol.
> > > Pretty much all was found with a beat to hell
> > > Sovereign.
> > I thought I was the only one? I too am a
> > contractor. Around 2007 - 8 things went to
> crap
> > as you know! I sold my 3 machines, newer
> silver,
> > jewelry (40+ silver rings ++) and gold
> (earrings,
> > chains and rings) that I thought I would never
> > sell. Then bought 1 cheaper machine so I
> wouldn't
> > go crazy. It took a few years before I could
> > upgrade my machine. I miss everything I sold
> but
> > had to do it because in reality it's a hobby
> and
> > food and electricity are more important. Not a
> > lot of people know what it's like to go broke
> in
> > about 6 months after being successful for 25+
> > years... My business has never reached what it
> was
> > before the collapse.... On another forum a guy
> was
> > wanting funding through gofundme so he could
> > upgrade his machine. Shoot I started mowing
> yards
> > and shoveling snow to make ends meet! Hell I'm
> 54
> > and still have those yards to mow. It's pretty
> > easy money to be honest......All of them right
> on
> > my road so I don't need a trailer. Just drive
> down
> > the road and knock them out.....
>
> You must of bounced back pretty well as you know
> swing an Etrac and make Vids with Bill S. I was a
> Drywall contracter way back when you could make
> money at it. Ah the good ole' 70's was a boon for
> sure. Now to much competition with uninsured no
> overhead types if you know what I mean.
I got fat when times were good. I learned to live with less. That affords me the etrac I have now plus a few others. I think of my mowing money as my mad money...LOL. I have a long story that I won't bore you all with. But now facing college for two kids. I'm thinking about selling everything I own and moving into a Refrigerator box. I'm thankful through thick and thin that I have metal detecting to clear my mind.......

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 19, 2015 08:40PM
Look this one up in your Redbook. Even in dug condition, this one is in better condition than 95% of the approximately 200 known to still exist. I dug it on Jan 4, 2003 on private land with the land owners permission. It was found with a CZ70 Pro. Which in it's day was a top of the line, high end detector. That detector and several more top of the line detectors, have been paid for in one swing. Jewelry? Who needs to find jewelry to pay for high end detectors!!! LOL I wasn't ever expecting to find this, I don't ever expect to find anything equal to it but I might. I get just as excited digging a well worn Merc. For me it is researching out spots and then finding the spot. That is my thrill. And if the good earth gives up something shinny along the way, so be it.

“Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.”
May 19, 2015 08:45PM
khouse Wrote:
> Harold,ILL. Wrote:
> -----
> > khouse Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > deathray Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > Well..Im in construction...in Cal...and
> when
> > > the
> > > > housing fell apart around here 8 or so
> years
> > > ago,
> > > > I sold all the common silver, incidental
> gold
> > > > finds, and even the $20 gold coin I
> > found...it
> > > put
> > > > food on the table. Also sold my detectors,
> > lol.
> > > > Pretty much all was found with a beat to
> hell
> > > > Sovereign.
> > > I thought I was the only one? I too am a
> > > contractor. Around 2007 - 8 things went to
> > crap
> > > as you know! I sold my 3 machines, newer
> > silver,
> > > jewelry (40+ silver rings ++) and gold
> > (earrings,
> > > chains and rings) that I thought I would
> never
> > > sell. Then bought 1 cheaper machine so I
> > wouldn't
> > > go crazy. It took a few years before I could
> > > upgrade my machine. I miss everything I sold
> > but
> > > had to do it because in reality it's a hobby
> > and
> > > food and electricity are more important. Not
> a
> > > lot of people know what it's like to go broke
> > in
> > > about 6 months after being successful for 25+
> > > years... My business has never reached what
> it
> > was
> > > before the collapse.... On another forum a
> guy
> > was
> > > wanting funding through gofundme so he could
> > > upgrade his machine. Shoot I started mowing
> > yards
> > > and shoveling snow to make ends meet! Hell
> I'm
> > 54
> > > and still have those yards to mow. It's
> pretty
> > > easy money to be honest......All of them
> right
> > on
> > > my road so I don't need a trailer. Just drive
> > down
> > > the road and knock them out.....
> >
> > You must of bounced back pretty well as you
> know
> > swing an Etrac and make Vids with Bill S. I was
> a
> > Drywall contracter way back when you could make
> > money at it. Ah the good ole' 70's was a boon
> for
> > sure. Now to much competition with uninsured no
> > overhead types if you know what I mean.
> I got fat when times were good. I learned to live
> with less. That affords me the etrac I have now
> plus a few others. I think of my mowing money as
> my mad money...LOL. I have a long story that I
> won't bore you all with. But now facing college
> for two kids. I'm thinking about selling
> everything I own and moving into a Refrigerator
> box. I'm thankful through thick and thin that I
> have metal detecting to clear my mind.......

That's why I had my one son at 22 now He's grown and my wife is an X an it's my time! LOL!