Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tesoro help ED120/180

Posted by 1ptr58 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Tesoro help ED120/180
May 19, 2015 10:56PM
Can someone explain in simple terms the diff between ed120 and ed180 and give me an idea of what machines are what? Sven?
Thanks. Bob in Calgary. Yeah I changed my forum name. Sorry if that confused anyone. Thanks
Re: Tesoro help ED120/180
May 19, 2015 11:37PM
Think of a protractor.
Iron all the way down on the left, highest conductors in the right quadrant.
180 means it will accept all targets throughout this entire 180 degree range.
120 ED will cut out a portion on iron down at the left end.
Many don't really want to dig or know about iron that comes in way low so 120 does a little discriminating for you in the electronics and programming.

The Vaq used to be listed as 180 but I know it wasn't, (more like 165), because some iron could not be picked up unless you were in all metal which is exactly what it says it is...all metal.

As far as I know the only units made presently in the Tesoro line that have true 180 ED in disc are the Compadre and the Tejon.
If I am wrong others will chime in.

In the past the Eldorado and maybe a few others were true 180 ED also.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 08:01AM by diggwr27.
May 20, 2015 12:58AM
The reply you got is exactly correct the way I understand it also. My Whites IDX Pros are true ED180,if the discrimination is turned all the way down and the Black Sand switch is ON, it accepts ALL METALS. With the Black Sand switch OFF I think it is then about ED160-165. Having true ED180 is VERY handy to be able to hear EVERYTHING in the ground,if you hunt that way,which I do most of the time. Obviously,or not,if you run ANY disc you may get some chirping and sporadic signals as you pass by iron that is below the disc range. To me it's more time consuming as you then have to toggle into AM if you want to investigate it further. ED180 is certainly the way to go if you can get it!
May 20, 2015 01:41AM
That was a cool explanation diggwr27, I think the Vaq/Tejon are the only true all-metal with a threshold, the Compadre does not have one, a threshold that is. Could you please explain that with a protractor? LOL still can't wrap my head around that ? HH Guessing a 1 word answer=circuitry?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2015 01:48AM by rapidroy7.
May 20, 2015 03:40AM
The Vaquero seems to be more compressed on the bottom than the Cibola...

they both may start at 160 say but the Vaqero jumps up faster in the bottom than the Cibola...theres not quite as much finetunability in the nail range...I believe its the design of the pot since it has a Switch in it before it gets to the wiper slide.....

There both linear taper 10k pots but it seems in the first few degrees the Vaquero is playing catch-up..

In iron I Know it seems like I can fine tune a cut nail slightly better than the Vaquero..and there both the same boards..it has to be the taper in the low range..Wish the would of put the all metal switch separate and used the same design pot as the Cibola...

No biggie unless your anal though..LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
May 20, 2015 08:12AM
rapidroy7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That was a cool explanation diggwr27, I think the
> Vaq/Tejon are the only true all-metal with a
> threshold, the Compadre does not have one, a
> threshold that is. Could you please explain that
> with a protractor? LOL still can't wrap my head
> around that ? HH Guessing a 1 word
> answer=circuitry?

The Compadre is a throwback, it has similar circuitry to the Amigo like the old days before most manufacturers bowed to the masses that did, and still today, keep screaming for more depth.
The design, the circuitry, the 180 ED, fairy dust from the factory...I don't know exactly what it is that makes the little C do a few of the things I have seen it do but it does and it does almost seems magical sometimes in the way it works in certain situations and what it can find.

All I know is I own the older 7" coil model, still take it out from time to time because it is a blast to use, and I am at least the third owner of this thing and I guarantee you I will be the last.