Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

INTENT OF POLICY

Posted by Anonymous User 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Anonymous User
INTENT OF POLICY
May 24, 2015 07:34PM
I've been following a story lately about a guy that got run out of the park. A typical story of being told he couldn't detect in the park and he was looking for some sympathy, I suppose, so he brought it up for discussion. When I hear these stories one of the first thoughts that come to mind is "Were you standing there with a shovel ? " Of course as usual thoughts like that only made a brief appearance in the story and was ignored. I try to look at what actually happened and a way to avoid it in the future first before trying to change the whole world's opinion on detecting rights. I have never had a problem in the numerous parks I detect. I detect them low key. No knee pads, finds pouch,bulky headphones,shovel and I certainly do not go ask someone who may not have a clue to what I am asking to do. I usually even go as far as using a digger with a cut off handle in my back pocket as well as light weight gloves tucked in another pocket. I try to look like I couldn't pull a quarter from 6 inches if it had a string attached.

These stories remind me of the smoking policy at a local hospital facility. Smoking got banned at the facility,although it was previously not banned, as there were ashtrays by the entrance. People would stand by the entrance,throw their butts on the ground and walk into the foyer letting out that last puff of smoke. They would sit in the parking lot with their arms hanging out holding a cigarette and people coming there for treatment, including treatment for smoking, would pass by this stuff on their way to see a doctor. The hospital felt they had to do something so smoking got banned at the facility,as well as even having any tobacco products on the facility grounds.

It was a big story in the local paper and people were griping about their rights and the hospital was promoting their need to show a positive image. Both sides having valid arguments and it would be an endless debate unless someone could be crowned the "winner" Naturally the ban went into effect and for a while the guy running the transport cart would hassle anyone they saw smoking even in their vehicle. So mission accomplished and after the initial fluff wore off the situation it's no big deal and people continue to smoke on the facility and no one hassles them. Of course they have to use some common courtesy and common sense. They can do that by smoking in their car without hanging their arms out the window or they can smoke on the grounds without getting seen by the policy enforcer or the patients. I was over their recently at the reception counter and forgot to take my cigarettes out of my pocket before checking in. The guy mumbled a quick one liner about the policy in between asking me the usual questions regarding check-in. They are beyond making a big deal out of it unless someone else does.

So getting back to the parks here, I think we see the same thing happening but once a ban becomes part of policy it is not going to be as easy to test as a no smoking/tobacco policy. I use to think that maybe it would be better if the parks did get restricted,whether it be because people are detecting improperly or looking like they would, if a person could use public discussions to show how proper techniques and appearance etc. as a tool to get them opened back up. I'm not sure there is much to point to lately that would show people are willing to make any sacrifice to keep them open.

I already detect low key and I don't feel I have to hang my arm out the window to smoke. If I were worried about a local park getting a detecting ban put in place because someone brought it up for public discussion I would probably be arguing my rights and the city would probably be agreeing with me but would now have to put a ban in place, because they can't be expected to babysit those that don't detect properly or look like they are going to damage the park. I would have no more expectations on winning that debate than I would expect to win a debate against the person wanting to detect the park,loaded for bear, because he has the right.

The intent of the ban policy would clearly be shown by looking at the discussion. There would be no doubt who caused the " No Detecting " sign to be put up at the park. It probably wouldn't bother me as much as I am use to detecting low key and properly. Just another decision that I would have to make. I didn't let those slobs keep me from smoking at the hospital.
Re: INTENT OF POLICY
May 24, 2015 08:28PM
Hey Kemper...totally agree. Good post. I always stay low key...even my headphones...wont wear bright colors. I dont park detect anymore, but theres areas that I hunt that hikers, fishermen can see me, so I pack my detector in a backpack, and dont pull it out till time to hunt. And Im usually wearing camo.
May 24, 2015 08:37PM
I use a very small pouch. It's about 3x4x6 and it's black in color. I can only fit my digger, popper and pinpointer in it. I wear cargo pants that has a good amount on pockets. I pull my shirt down over my tools. I put my back to any on lookers when retrieving my targets. I work way away from people. I hunt early in the morning. I mark some targets with sticks or leaves when people are watching to go back later to retrieve. This is in areas I hunt with permission. As Kemper has made note: Please do not use a long handles shovel in parks. Use drop clothes to get all the soil back in the holes. Practice at home before you ever venture out to any public area. I think this is smart detecting. Not sneaky detecting as it's been called in the past.......

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
May 24, 2015 09:05PM
As I have said before we lost are Forrest Preserves last year due to clowns with shovels. Once again let me repeat this is my area as others may be different. It really sucks as they were my close by bread and butter sites that were old AKA, Barbers and Indians. I have heard many say it was just the cycle of new cops, But I know it was just to many people mostly newbee's digging the places up. So now if I want old coins AKA, Barbers and Indians I have to drive at least 45 minutes on average one way. It sucks as I hunted these spots for 16 yrs. and never had one problem. I do how ever have a lot of close by newer spots with big soccer athletic fields. I figure if time is tight just do a little clad hopefully jewelry hunting. I have bee gettin' use to only using a screwdriver and pinpointer as most clad isn't deep. Here is the funny part I was at one of these newer spots and a kid was watching me. I thought well like most he is curious and goin' to ask what I found. Instead he told me I shouldn't be detectin' here and he would go home and tell his dad if I didn't leave? I must admit I got a chuckle out of it and said I knew the Town Mayor and he said it was O.K. He looked puzzled and left. I thought boy we even got the children against us now? LOL!
May 24, 2015 09:35PM
We don't Park detect much here in the U.K, but a few ideas to help keep you low-key are:
Tape over your pinpointer speaker hole, you'll probably still be able to hear it OK, plus if it's a decent one, it will have the vibration mode. But it draws less attention. Ditto, taping over the white LED on a Garrett, so you can still see it, but it's not bright, can make you less obvious in fading light / early mornings.
Carry a few simple target markers, eg. bright coloured cardboard (cut from cereal boxes etc). If you don't want any passers-by to see you actively digging, you can mark the spot, then carry on swinging, whilst appearing to 'not find anything'. Then go back and dig later.

One homemade 'tool' I came up with is this 'drop-sheet' for putting spoil on. Whilst it's not discrete, it it quick and effective.
[www.metaldetectingforum.co.uk]
May 25, 2015 01:40AM
Park hunting has started here due to green up on the relic sites. Early AM as the sun comes up till I start seeing people show up. With my off days being during the week instead of weekend it helps in staying out a little longer. Being aware of what's going on around you helped me when I saw a grounds keeper walking over, already had my drop cloth down and find in the pouch when he got to me. As we spoke I dumped the dirt back in the hole, flipped the plug and tamped it down. Never knew I was there. We spoke for a while and I explained how I hunted and showed what it looked like after a dig....never had a problem and little bit of extra time spent just talking I believe helps.
May 25, 2015 05:15PM
I was detecting a green field of soggy grass at a state park with the CTX several years ago when I got a weak signal, so I dug a small plug. I didn't really want to go deep because this area was not mapped for detecting ... but I was there early at opening and figured I might just slip one by. Unfortunately the coin wasn't in the plug ... dug out the hole deeper. But the coin wasn't there. After boring through the soil as far as I could reach with the digger the coin still wasn't there. I was getting a bit flummoxed and was thinking to myself that I was glad to be alone right now as I had not intended to be this long at this site or dig anything so deep - but I couldn't stop myself, I had to find the target. And of course, at that moment, with a mound of dirt next to a deep hole ...Murphy's Law kicks in ... up comes walking two park rangers (didn't see them at first). The first one strolls up and says "Good morning, my boss is standing over there, he doesn't like people digging holes and he is a bit of a hard @ss". I glanced over at the other ranger who hadn't come all the way out and he did look the part, perturbed body language plus scowl. I told him this is one heck of a deep coin I'm chasing, this deep of a hole is unusual, but I assured him he'd not even know a hole was dug when I'm done ... so he converses with boss ranger and heads back to the ranger truck to sit. I eventually recovered something (don't recall - a clad quarter I think - around 14") and put the soil gingerly and neatly back from whence it came, replaced the plug ... it looked perfectly untouched. Not to push my luck I headed out of there.

So, I guess I got their approval because the rangers drove away. Since that happened I continued many a hunt all over the park digging and filling holes (in authorized hunt areas). The more polite ranger would always say hi and chat and ask if I've found anything. He said he gets bored and he was thinking of getting a detector himself. In any case, the only reason I was expecting to get hassled by the rangers was the location I was hunting that day was not an authorized park hunting location, though it was near to one. I've hunted many different state parks and had rangers stop to chat without issues. Even at city parks I've had police sit and watch or walk up and chat - never any problems. They are judging your professionalism - can you leave no trace you've been there? If you can do that (and the police/ranger haven't received a complaint about a detectorists making a mess) all is well.

If the last encounter the authorities remember is with a punk with a detector you may be told to cease digging ... the moment you present the wrong image that in some way you don't respect the grounds - you are labelled as another jerk with a detector; you become the instant enemy of the ranger and he will invent a reason to get rid of you. At least that is the way I see it. If they don't see any trace of your digging and you look 'normal' ...you are in good company and everybody can stay friends.
May 25, 2015 05:30PM
Johnnyanglo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was detecting a green field of soggy grass at a
> state park with the CTX several years ago when I
> got a weak signal, so I dug a small plug. I didn't
> really want to go deep because this area was not
> mapped for detecting ... but I was there early at
> opening and figured I might just slip one by.
> Unfortunately the coin wasn't in the plug ... dug
> out the hole deeper. But the coin wasn't there.
> After boring through the soil as far as I could
> reach with the digger the coin still wasn't there.
> I was getting a bit flummoxed and was thinking to
> myself that I was glad to be alone right now as I
> had not intended to be this long at this site or
> dig anything so deep - but I couldn't stop myself,
> I had to find the target. And of course, at that
> moment, with a mound of dirt next to a deep hole
> ...Murphy's Law kicks in ... up comes walking two
> park rangers (didn't see them at first). The first
> one strolls up and says "Good morning, my boss is
> standing over there, he doesn't like people
> digging holes and he is a bit of a hard @ss". I
> glanced over at the other ranger who hadn't come
> all the way out and he did look the part,
> perturbed body language plus scowl. I told him
> this is one heck of a deep coin I'm chasing, this
> deep of a hole is unusual, but I assured him he'd
> not even know a hole was dug when I'm done ... so
> he converses with boss ranger and heads back to
> the ranger truck to sit. I eventually recovered
> something (don't recall - a clad quarter I think -
> around 14") and put the soil gingerly and neatly
> back from whence it came, replaced the plug ... it
> looked perfectly untouched. Not to push my luck I
> headed out of there.
>
> So, I guess I got their approval because the
> rangers drove away. Since that happened I
> continued many a hunt all over the park digging
> and filling holes (in authorized hunt areas). The
> more polite ranger would always say hi and chat
> and ask if I've found anything. He said he gets
> bored and he was thinking of getting a detector
> himself. In any case, the only reason I was
> expecting to get hassled by the rangers was the
> location I was hunting that day was not an
> authorized park hunting location, though it was
> near to one. I've hunted many different state
> parks and had rangers stop to chat without issues.
> Even at city parks I've had police sit and watch
> or walk up and chat - never any problems. They are
> judging your professionalism - can you leave no
> trace you've been there? If you can do that (and
> the police/ranger haven't received a complaint
> about a detectorists making a mess) all is well.
>
> If the last encounter the authorities remember is
> with a punk with a detector you may be told to
> cease digging ... the moment you present the wrong
> image that in some way you don't respect the
> grounds - you are labelled as another jerk with a
> detector; you become the instant enemy of the
> ranger and he will invent a reason to get rid of
> you. At least that is the way I see it. If they
> don't see any trace of your digging and you look
> 'normal' ...you are in good company and everybody
> can stay friends.

That's a nice story with a happy ending. Your very lucky as are state parks are off limits and as I mentioned earlier we lost are Forrest Preserves. That is one reason I'm hunting close by newer spots as we still have the Chicago Parks but they are a good drive for me though. Hope you can keep your parks open as I never dreamed my area would lose so many sites. GOOD LUCK.
May 25, 2015 06:46PM
I keep a low profile and hunt early mornings rarely have a problem