Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Farmerboy856

Posted by tnsharpshooter 
This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
Farmerboy856
May 25, 2015 03:24AM
I read your info concerning your V3i use.

I must say your experiences sorta mirror mine. The V3i is to me a swing speed sensitive detector. There are 2 settings that really affect swing speed IMO. Recovery delay and which filter you choose.
Personally with stock coil a recovery setting of 80-85 is pretty good. For trashier sites go lower like 60. Filter use is supposed to be driven by EMI and soil. Many folks swear by the 5 band filters to get the depth. One problem though you try and use a 5 band filter on worse soil the detector may perform, but swing speed may be overly critical. The 10 band are way more forgiving, yet you may loose a tad of depth.

RX gain. A setting of 8 will do a lot of times. Pretty hard to ever run it over 12.
Disc setting- for depth run it up, try to run at 90 or a little higher. Of course in a real trashy area you can dial back some, even running the RX gain at like 3-5.

Ground Balance- this has been discussed a lot on this particular detector. Most of the better users have decided to run GB locked after balancing over clean ground. And reground balance periodically or if your detector gets noisy.

For open field hunting (can be used in old home sites that are not super trashy) mixed mode. The AM side will sound on metal. Sometimes if you don't flush a detectable say coin the tone may not sound. When you hear the AM side chime in, you can center up your coil more on the target and see if it will tone in.

I didn't see where if you have a smaller coil or not. You might consider a 4x6 shooter coil. Will do wonders in heavy iron/trash the stock 10dd can't handle.

Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2015 03:26AM by tnsharpshooter.
Re: Farmerboy856
May 25, 2015 03:46AM
I forgot your V3i has a bottle cap reject setting. Get you a few caps and try sweeping with bottle cap reject at 2. You should hear the cap's audio break up. A word of caution, a higher bottle cap setting will start eating away at your detector's depth potential.
May 26, 2015 08:44PM
Thank you for all the pointers on the v3i. It is appreciated though I've lost a lot of confidence in its been keeping holding the corner of my closet up mainly. Took it out yesterday was going to try dine of your adjustments but didn't know if you use them on a certain program or make your own or what. Hunted a patch of my yard that's produced keepers for me in the past used factory cj with only the tones adjusted to my liking dug a bunch of deeper nails and iron junk one hole did have a lower 60s reading I think an Indian head could come in there not sure dug an old buckle and a half a dozen nails finally found the high tone a tiny 22 short casing. All the other high tones were just iron. Was fairly impressed it finding the casing anyways. I did not measure the hole maybe bout as deep as my garrett pp. Was using my 950 coil as the ten in was on mxt I do have a 5.3 v rated coil as well. I rarely ever get solid steady signals unless it's a very shallow coin. I dug a fence staple Kept giving me good repeatable signal like a quarter said 4 inches dug more like 7 and no quarter don't seem to dig good sounding nails with mxt like I do the v3i. Had a heifer break her leg yesterday and a cow had twins today so I haven't had time to do any tests. All for now farmer
May 26, 2015 11:58PM
Sorry to hear about your heifer. Farming can provide a lot of surprises and let downs. In the end though I think it really makes a person have a stronger character. The V3i detector takes time to learn, more than most. It's a bit edgy to set up and get maximum performance for the site in question to hunt. It may not be the best detector for a person who has limited detecting time to use/master/make finds and at the same time have confidence. If I can be of help to you in the future as far as trying to help you, I'm all ears.

BTW there is a gent on the friendly detector forum "forum name Detector", who has some good experience. His post are always well thought out and helpful IMO.
Cheers