Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

F19, Old Home Site and New Predator Piranha Shovels 1st Finds thumbs down

This forum is currently read only. You can not log in or make any changes. This is a temporary situation.
F19, Old Home Site and New Predator Piranha Shovels 1st Finds thumbs down
June 03, 2015 09:30PM
Hey all,

picked up a Predator Piranha Shovel after my original Ground Shark of 10 yrs finally gave out and snapped thumbs up

Coulda been worked on/saved but I've been wanting a different style/better one since these came out like 2 yrs ago. Mine was the original Lesche Ground Shark and was the only model/style available back in 2005 but it really was the best thing since sliced bread back in that day! lol

This one is leaps and bounds better for diggin holes "fast" though - that's why I pulled the trigger for it grinning smiley

Took it out to an old homesite today for a spin where they just started to excavate/site prep for building and figured I'd better hit it now before it's too late.

Re: F19, Old Home Site and New Predator Piranha Shovels 1st Finds thumbs down
June 03, 2015 09:45PM
Heck with the shovel - Is that GOLD!!!!!!!

Kenny
[www.youtube.com]
June 03, 2015 10:04PM
Those piranha shovels are sweet. No worries about roots with that! I opted for the ground shark 38D for field hunting.
June 03, 2015 10:07PM
I suspect this is a "no fly" shovel, even in your checked baggage, you might get "suspected". LOL

Rick Kempf
Gold Canyon AZ- where there is no gold
June 03, 2015 10:13PM
khouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Heck with the shovel - Is that GOLD!!!!!!!

Nah = I wish! lol

It's only "gold electroplate"

I thought for a minute when it popped out of the hole that it was til I seen the word electroplate...

Sucker was D E E P though!! Like 12/13 inches deep - was beyond the hilt of the 11.25" blade of the shovel

was running F19 with 13" Ultimate Coil attached grinning smiley
June 04, 2015 02:03AM
Good looking shovel MRH. I notice the leaves on the trees in the pick too. Looks a lot different than some of your picks from a few weeks ago.
June 04, 2015 08:14PM
triplehooked Wrote:
> Those piranha shovels are sweet. No worries about
> roots with that! I opted for the ground shark 38D
> for field hunting.

You got that right Travis

this thing will eat roots for breakfast! lol

Slices through the ground like a hot knife through butter grinning smiley

I also like how you only need to plunge it 2 or 3xs and then pry up a plug VS the other/older model I had where you had to plunge it 5 or 6xs in order to get a plug cut

it saves time & work both using this one.
June 04, 2015 10:35PM
Nice digs Wayne..

Hey you Know that shovel wont work down here LOL!!

Keith

“I don't care that they stole my idea . . I care that they don't have any of their own”
-Nikola Tesla
June 04, 2015 10:45PM
Be careful with that Predator Piranha. I personally know of 3 that have snapped in the same place, right where the shovel head is welded to the rod. It is a weak spot. I wouldn't do too much prying with it if I were you. I was THIS close to buying one for DIV but he happened to be sold out of them at the time. One of them I saw snapped at the DIV hunt in March and just last month, another guy I know had his break in the same spot. George will fix them BUT you have to pay shipping cost. I know you have to pay shipping to HIM but I'm also thinking you have to pay to have it shipped back to you too. It's a lot easier just to weld it back yourself or get someone with a welder to do it. Either way, it's still gonna be a weak spot there.
June 05, 2015 12:32AM
Daniel Tn Wrote:
> Be careful with that Predator Piranha. I
> personally know of 3 that have snapped in the same
> place, right where the shovel head is welded to
> the rod. It is a weak spot. I wouldn't do too
> much prying with it if I were you. I was THIS
> close to buying one for DIV but he happened to be
> sold out of them at the time. One of them I saw
> snapped at the DIV hunt in March and just last
> month, another guy I know had his break in the
> same spot. George will fix them BUT you have to
> pay shipping cost. I know you have to pay
> shipping to HIM but I'm also thinking you have to
> pay to have it shipped back to you too. It's a
> lot easier just to weld it back yourself or get
> someone with a welder to do it. Either way, it's
> still gonna be a weak spot there.

That's exactly where my "T handle 40" Lesche Ground Shark" snapped Daniel

I know now that you can't "pry" with them by plunging it into the ground "once" and then prying up -- they're tough shovels but not indestructible!

You have to plunge it a couple 2 or 3xs cutting a plug and then pry depending on depth and ground moister/density thumbs down

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keith

I have what I'm gonna use for diggin when I come back down this winter to dig with you & Troy

Notice the N50 mag I mounted on the end?? lol I copied Aqua Chigger and his rig - not playin around when I come back down this yr grinning smiley

June 05, 2015 05:54PM
Triplehooked, i got the identical 38D, but then had my dad weld some wider plates on top so I could do a "proper" full weight 2 foot jump on it when the clay in my area dries out. Much easier on the soles of my feet/shoes that way.
June 05, 2015 08:55PM
Rod, the 38D is a sweet shovel for the fields. Due to its design, I would expect the blade to bend before the handle broke. I've pried out rather large stove pieces and rocks without a hint of a bend. I'm glad we don't have all that clay up here in Michigan. I was recently in Kentucky visiting relatives, briefly got out to detect. That axe murdering style pick axe would have been the ticket in that mountainous rocky soil, Wayne. My papaw used a (much) smaller version of that tool to dig ginseng. They work great in that type of terrain.